SFC: Slick Skryne outpoint understrength Dunboyne

April 20, 2009

Skryne's Trevor Giles
Eleven different players got on the score sheet, including goalkeeper Paddy O'Rourke, as Skryne outscored under strength Dunboyne in this Commons Hardware SFC Group B opener at Dunshaughlin on Sunday. Skryne 0-19 Dunboyne 1-8 Ten different Skryne players registered from open play including all members of the half-back line and both midfielders while goalkeeper Paddy O'Rourke landed a 50-metre free in the 53rd minute. Moments later he tipped a Ger Robinson drive over his own bar as Dunboyne wrapped up their scoring before Liam Harnan's men closed out proceedings at sunny Dunshaughlin with four unanswered points. The scores were tied twice in the opening quarter but Dunboyne - who were forced to line out without the injured Nigel Crawford and David Gallagher - found themselves 0-6 to 0-12 in arrears by the 36^th minute. Six minutes later they were thrown a lifeline when full-forward Conor O'Donoghue was fouled and Stephen Moran expertly dispatched the resultant penalty to the net. When wing-back Ger Barry pointed from play just two points seperated the sides, 1-7 to 0-12, after 47 minutes. Skryne held their nerve and were denied a goal when Dunboyne 'keeper Johnny O'Connor saved well from teenager Mark Battersby who was making his first start at this level. Two points in just over a minute from Felim O'Rourke (free) and Allan Carty before the county 'keeper got his name on the score sheet left five points between the teams and when Robinson's effort was saved Dunboyne's faint hopes were extinguished. Further points from Felim O'Rourke (free), Brian Byrne, team captain Martin Mulvaney and Battersby wrapped up the scoring. Skryne amassed ten wides over the hour while Dunboyne had just three. Skryne might have goaled in their first attack but Dunboyne's net minder Johnny O'Connor saved well from Kevin Mulvaney but Felim O'Rourke was on hand to post his only point from play. Two minutes later Kevin Mulvaney doubled Skryne's advantage before O'Donoghue opened Dunboyne's account. When the latter got his second point the scores were tied at 0-4 each after 15 minutes. Skryne took control from that point with Vinny O'Reilly and Mark Jordan prominent in defence while David McGoldrick and Brian Byrne bossed midfield matters and Trevor Giles showed he still has a lot to offer at this level. Skryne - P. O'Rourke (0-1, free); A. Curry, V. O'Reilly, M. Jordan; M. Mulvaney (0-1), C. Lenehan (0-1), A. Carty (0-2); D. McGoldrick (0-1), B. Byrne (0-1); J. Hegarty (0-1), T. Giles (0-2), D. Ryan; M. Battersby, K. Mulvaney (0-2), F. O'Rourke (0-6, 5 frees). Sub - A .Tuite for Hegarty (33 mins). Dunboyne - J. O'Connor; S. Hogan, T. O'Connor, G. Timoney; G. Barry (0-1), D. Gallagher, G. Watters; G. Gallagher, C. Berrigan; C. Brennan, S. McGarrell (0-1), M. Convey; S. Moran (1-0, penatly), C. O'Donoghue (0-3), G. Robinson (0-1). Subs - P. Fagan for Convey (46 mins), P. Watters for Moran (51 mins), M. Dunne for D. Gallagher (54 mins). Ref - F. Gallogly (Dunshaughlin).

Most Read Stories