Mayo Forum

National League 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I saw the planned fixtures list few weeks ago but am wondering if the days for matches are correct, Mayo seem to have a lot of Saturday games, I think it's 4
Sat Feb 4th Mayo v Monaghan
Sat 11th Kerry v Mayo
Sat 25th Mayo v Roscommon
Sat March 4th Dublin v Mayo
Sun 19th Mayo v Cavan
Sun 26th Tyrone v Mayo
Sun April 2nd Mayo v Donegal

riverboys (Mayo) - 15/01/2017 21:24:43    1945927

Link

Fixtures are correct. Nice to get a few more Sat evening games than usual. In my opinion its always a great atmosphere at these night time games.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 16/01/2017 11:46:17    1946035

Link

Hard to know how Mayo will approach the league this year. Some still maintain that winning it would be a good thing, but with training demands and the need to try to keep a full tank for the summer, I'd be surprised if we do anything but struggle to stay up again. Our home form has been poor the last couple of years, with no evidence that the big crowds showing up were any distraction for the squad - they stuck with the plan regardless of performances and results. Unless a raft of the young players really excel, we could be going to Donegal needing a result come the last game.

Looks a bit like the Rossies might not be pacing themselves again this year. They certainly seem to be well ahead and firing right now. Maybe Kevin MC fancies a league title to bring his team on? I'm tipping Kerry for it this year unless the Dubs sleepwalk it again.

Pericles (Mayo) - 16/01/2017 18:47:39    1946141

Link

If we are safe with a game to spare I will be very happy. We all know it is Sam or bust every year.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 16/01/2017 18:54:31    1946144

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "Hard to know how Mayo will approach the league this year. Some still maintain that winning it would be a good thing, but with training demands and the need to try to keep a full tank for the summer, I'd be surprised if we do anything but struggle to stay up again. Our home form has been poor the last couple of years, with no evidence that the big crowds showing up were any distraction for the squad - they stuck with the plan regardless of performances and results. Unless a raft of the young players really excel, we could be going to Donegal needing a result come the last game.

Looks a bit like the Rossies might not be pacing themselves again this year. They certainly seem to be well ahead and firing right now. Maybe Kevin MC fancies a league title to bring his team on? I'm tipping Kerry for it this year unless the Dubs sleepwalk it again."
Roscommon are pacing themselves this year and I expect us to drop down. We did not meet until the 9th of December and had three trainings(All fitness) and a Challenge before xmas. Did not meet then until the 2nd of January for a second challenge. We have noting done so I don't expect much from the league.

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - 17/01/2017 13:04:01    1946287

Link

WILL mAYO WIN A GAME AT ALL IN THE LEAGUE? I happened to be present when a playing member of the squad was asked that question the other night. His answer, "it's going to be tough". Now, I don't know if that was an answer to the question or a statement on the games ahead. Make up your own mind on that. Personally, I know Mayo will start to go backwards, but sure it won't matter as long as every other county does the same and then we'll be up there again in the summer fighting for Sam! In our dreams this year, in our dreams.

davittsman (Mayo) - 17/01/2017 17:36:29    1946416

Link

Replying To davittsman:  "WILL mAYO WIN A GAME AT ALL IN THE LEAGUE? I happened to be present when a playing member of the squad was asked that question the other night. His answer, "it's going to be tough". Now, I don't know if that was an answer to the question or a statement on the games ahead. Make up your own mind on that. Personally, I know Mayo will start to go backwards, but sure it won't matter as long as every other county does the same and then we'll be up there again in the summer fighting for Sam! In our dreams this year, in our dreams."
The Doom merchant as ever. You know you have been trawling that line for a few years now...you will eventually get it right.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 18/01/2017 09:55:26    1946579

Link

I'd expect Mayo to stay up, with 4 home games you have to win your home matches, that's 8 points, biggest worry would be after the 4th round we would have played both Kerry and Dublin away with Monaghan and Roscommon at home, if we mess up and drop points in those 2 home matches we will be under big pressure for the remaining 3 games, Cavan and Donegal at home and Tyrone away, to me the toughest games are the 3 away games but you hate going to Omagh with just 2 or 4 points on the board and needing to beat both Tyrone and Donegal to guarantee safety

riverboys (Mayo) - 18/01/2017 12:06:36    1946615

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "I'd expect Mayo to stay up, with 4 home games you have to win your home matches, that's 8 points, biggest worry would be after the 4th round we would have played both Kerry and Dublin away with Monaghan and Roscommon at home, if we mess up and drop points in those 2 home matches we will be under big pressure for the remaining 3 games, Cavan and Donegal at home and Tyrone away, to me the toughest games are the 3 away games but you hate going to Omagh with just 2 or 4 points on the board and needing to beat both Tyrone and Donegal to guarantee safety"
ant new players of quality come to notice during the FBD League that could make the first team this year.

culmore (None) - 24/01/2017 09:32:03    1948316

Link

Replying To culmore:  "ant new players of quality come to notice during the FBD League that could make the first team this year."
Andy Moran was flying it against us!

moros (Roscommon) - 26/01/2017 19:45:17    1949050

Link

Is there many on here travelling to Kerry? If so are staying in Killarney or Tralee?

Samiam (Mayo) - 02/02/2017 11:46:09    1951193

Link

Replying To Samiam:  "Is there many on here travelling to Kerry? If so are staying in Killarney or Tralee?"
Big gang that I know of are staying in Killarney.

mayo.mick (Mayo) - 02/02/2017 13:40:52    1951229

Link

Replying To Samiam:  "Is there many on here travelling to Kerry? If so are staying in Killarney or Tralee?"
Staying in Tralee where the action will be. Nice few GAA bars in Tralee too. Killarney is a nicer town but not mad about a drive after the game plus a few pints before hand will do the trick

yew_tree (Mayo) - 02/02/2017 19:42:02    1951328

Link

Staying in Tralee Friday and Saturday. Any specific GAA pubs that we should go to? Never stayed in the town before.

sinabhuil (Mayo) - 03/02/2017 12:22:43    1951511

Link

Staying in Tralee myself.

the_walls (Mayo) - 03/02/2017 12:32:47    1951514

Link

It's a fast 4 months since the All Ireland Final so to quote a Willie Nelson song 'on the road again' so here's to a long and successful year for Mayo

riverboys (Mayo) - 03/02/2017 19:24:31    1951656

Link

team just announced, not a selection I would have great confidence in, what do ye think ??

culmore (None) - 03/02/2017 21:32:49    1951696

Link

A few lads that have been given way too many chances on this panel and showed nothing, time to cut them loose, a donkey can't win the Grand National or Gold Cup

riverboys (Mayo) - 04/02/2017 11:27:00    1951774

Link

Is Diarmuid O'Connor injured ?, was looking forward to watching him. Any of Ye know ?

LeitrimRoyal99 (Meath) - 04/02/2017 17:43:58    1951846

Link

Deserved nothing and should have been beaten by an awful lot more.

davittsman (Mayo) - 04/02/2017 20:51:15    1951892

Link