Mayo Forum

Mayo 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Its prob time now to start looking ahead for Mayo. I was wondering if there will be some new faces next season? I know the U21 have serious potential, could we be seeing the change some of the old guard with some younger guys, it may be best to replace some of these senior players who have only tasted all Ireland defeat with some new less burdened players...

cacsmckilly (Tyrone) - 26/10/2016 09:53:19    1929049

Link

you can only replace the senior players when there's a good alternative. At the moment the guys who represented us in 2016 are the best players in Mayo. They lost the all ireland final by 1 point after a replay. they deserve another crack at it in 2017 once they have the appetite

pdempsey (Mayo) - 26/10/2016 14:24:31    1929180

Link

Replying To cacsmckilly:  "Its prob time now to start looking ahead for Mayo. I was wondering if there will be some new faces next season? I know the U21 have serious potential, could we be seeing the change some of the old guard with some younger guys, it may be best to replace some of these senior players who have only tasted all Ireland defeat with some new less burdened players..."
I would kike to see a few of the u21s coming into the team next year. The likes of stephen coen, conor loftus. A few senior lads have gone past their best now if im been honest. Seamie o'shea and colm boyle are into their 30s aswell.
Also like to see Evan regan push on again next year to nail down a starting position again.

Dkdj (Mayo) - 01/11/2016 20:24:32    1930770

Link

Replying To Dkdj:  "I would kike to see a few of the u21s coming into the team next year. The likes of stephen coen, conor loftus. A few senior lads have gone past their best now if im been honest. Seamie o'shea and colm boyle are into their 30s aswell.
Also like to see Evan regan push on again next year to nail down a starting position again."
Yeah bring them through and we will see in the League if they are good enough. Mayo could be facing a transition phase.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - 02/11/2016 12:36:08    1930875

Link

I'd start Boyler no matter what age he is, one of the only players who gives his all in every game, I noticed in the final replay when Lee Keegan was black carded that a lot of Mayo players appeared angry and getting caught up in the situation but Boyler kept his cool and told players to get back into position and get on with the game, a man with his head in the right place, for me he deserves to be named captain for 2017

riverboys (Mayo) - 02/11/2016 19:41:01    1931004

Link

lol

The_DOC (Galway) - 17/11/2016 11:56:08    1935037

Link

Replying To Dkdj:  "I would kike to see a few of the u21s coming into the team next year. The likes of stephen coen, conor loftus. A few senior lads have gone past their best now if im been honest. Seamie o'shea and colm boyle are into their 30s aswell.
Also like to see Evan regan push on again next year to nail down a starting position again."
Seamus O'Shea has just gone 30, hardly applying for the pension book just yet! Likewise Boyler. Give them another season or two before we start writing the obituaries.

Gleebo (Mayo) - 01/12/2016 10:56:17    1937768

Link

Anyone seen the video of me and Lee?

LEEKEEGANSDOG (Mayo) - 06/12/2016 12:12:59    1938596

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "Seamus O'Shea has just gone 30, hardly applying for the pension book just yet! Likewise Boyler. Give them another season or two before we start writing the obituaries."
Agree with Gleebo. It's up to the younger/newer players to take the jersey off the likes of Boyle and O'Sheas.
I honestly don't think there are any players in Mayo who haven't been given a fair crack of the whip over last couple of years. Loftus and Coen were given opportunities this year and will be given more game time in the league. If they're good enough they'll hold onto their places, if not they'll be back to the bench come crunch time. Irwin from Breaffy has plenty of potential but he hasn't shown the desire yet for senior inter county level. He'd want a couple of years serious training before he'd be in a position to start for Mayo. Look at his form with Breaffy when it mattered this year

pdempsey (Mayo) - 07/12/2016 10:01:57    1938813

Link

Our biggest problem is the size of our club players, when our county players are back playing for their clubs you can spot them a mile away, they look like tanks, big strong build, big shoulders etc, club players look like kids around them, if we pick 5-10 club players we believe should be given a chance on the county panel it would take a few years to get them built up to the strength and conditioning the current county players are at

riverboys (Mayo) - 07/12/2016 22:22:49    1938956

Link

Club players size is not our biggest problem. In all counties, the county players stand out. County players are on a different level of training to club players. Our biggest problem is up front. I know we generally get a good spread of scores from all over the field but think in the really big games, against top class teams we have fallen short again and again....

Final v Dublin 2013
both semi finals v Kerry 2014
semi x2 v Dublin 2015
both finals in 2016

When games are in the melting pot or things might not be going your way, you need a really top forward who can kick from distance, under pressure and will bascially save the day.

We have Cillian but he is more free taker and we need more than him. Think a Padraig Joyce, Peter Canavan, Bernard Brogan, Gooch Cooper....without those players would their counties have won All Ireland's on days they shone? No I don't think so. Have we in this county ever had a player of that calibre up front? Not in my lifetime. Now that is not to say we can't win an All Ireland...we are awful close but I fear the same result unless we find someone who is able to do the impossible sort of speak.
We also needs more balls from the sideline. Would Mayo have brought on a young fella like Cormac Costello to swing the game?

yew_tree (Mayo) - 13/12/2016 09:34:04    1939814

Link

Inclined to agree with you yew - tree. All successive counties over the years had one or two execeptional talents, which seen them through, Stockwell, and Purcell, Bomber Liston, Gooch, Canavan, Brogan, Connelly- Cluxton. Other Counties on the frindge need that one spark to carry the day.
Mayo are a team in contention.
HarryO
Ros fan

HarryO (Galway) - 19/12/2016 01:14:28    1940891

Link

Happy New Year fellow Mayo fans. Will 2017 be like the previous or different for a change?

yew_tree (Mayo) - 03/01/2017 09:41:32    1942744

Link

Happy new year yew_tree and Mayo people on here. I think ye may have some unfinished business as far as the Dubs are concerned. Wouldn't be a huge shock if we crashed into each other this year late in the championship and ye are the team that survives it. I can't see us getting any better than we are or were.
But ye apparently have no chance because according to the Kerry lads, the refs won all our recent glory for us. And to be honest, I'd enjoy watching a Kerry V Mayo All-Ireland Final. It would be very interesting and I would fancy ye!
Anyway, a lot can happen, unfortunately, between now and then, lets all hope for little or no injuries and a good show of form from our big players.

realdub (Dublin) - 04/01/2017 21:49:00    1943127

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Happy new year yew_tree and Mayo people on here. I think ye may have some unfinished business as far as the Dubs are concerned. Wouldn't be a huge shock if we crashed into each other this year late in the championship and ye are the team that survives it. I can't see us getting any better than we are or were.
But ye apparently have no chance because according to the Kerry lads, the refs won all our recent glory for us. And to be honest, I'd enjoy watching a Kerry V Mayo All-Ireland Final. It would be very interesting and I would fancy ye!
Anyway, a lot can happen, unfortunately, between now and then, lets all hope for little or no injuries and a good show of form from our big players."
Same to you realdub. IF Mayo and Kerry come through the front door and make it through a quarter we are due to meet in a semi final. That could change of course if we get beat in Connacht again. I don't see anyone stopping Dublin in Leinster and indeed see ye getting to another final. Jack McCaffrey is back who I think is a fantastic player. See ye in croker in March.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 06/01/2017 09:22:37    1943425

Link

Tomorrow is Mayo day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-336VRrievg -
If that does not put the hair standing on the back of a Mayo person, nothing will. Up Mayo :)

yew_tree (Mayo) - 27/04/2017 15:18:40    1983179

Link

In Longford for Dublin under 17s v Mayo 17s will post score later

Damothedub (Dublin) - 13/05/2017 13:27:16    1986419

Link

Mayo won by 3 pts , few lads picked up nasty injuries hope their ok , decent game both teams had their chances Mayo took theirs

Damothedub (Dublin) - 13/05/2017 17:30:55    1986457

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Mayo won by 3 pts , few lads picked up nasty injuries hope their ok , decent game both teams had their chances Mayo took theirs"
Have you the teams Damo?

yew_tree (Mayo) - 14/05/2017 19:56:05    1986639

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Have you the teams Damo?"
no programme produced as just a challenge game , due to size of squads involved there was an added 15 mins played at the end , best player on pitch wads a midfielder from Mayo striking red hair unfortunately went of finjured at beginning of second half

Damothedub (Dublin) - 15/05/2017 11:07:08    1986751

Link