Limerick Forum

Limerick GAA history

(Oldest Posts First)

can anybody tell me what parts of the county the following clubs were based in (all now defunct i think) treaty stones (city im sure) st michaels shamrocks young irelands they were all in existance before second world war but cant find records of them after 1950

shortpuckout (Limerick) - Posts: 148 - 08/04/2008 09:59:49    4542

Link

I think the Treaty Stones you refer to are actually Treaty Sarsfields based somewhere around the Island Field, Irish Town area of the City. There was also a club in Ballysimon call the Faughs which became defunct around the same time, maybe around the 50's/60's.

KC (UK) - Posts: 64 - 08/04/2008 14:04:49    4753

Link

Treaty Sarsfield were originally 2 different clubs that amalgamated around the 1920s and were based in St. Muchin's parish which is across the river from King John's castle and before you come to Moyross. In the 50s they dominated hurling and football if memory serves me right with Tom McGarry being their main star but by that stage like all city clubs they were based in no particular place in the City, just like Claughan wasa roaming city club until if got a home on Childers Rd in 1967.

St michaels? I dont know but the club St Brendan's was based in the present Ballinacurra Gaels and Old Christian area.

Shamrocks were also city but I dont know from were.

Young irelands had a pitch I think in Shannaboule Road around the Thomond Park area and would have been a regular contributor to the Limerick hurling team of the 1930s giving Limerick such men as Michael Kennedy

Porterville (Limerick) - Posts: 5 - 08/04/2008 15:36:13    4818

Link

1) Treaty Stones were based in St. Munchin's Parish (Thomondgate) during the early years of the GAA. Along with many other clubs, they went out of existence around 1915. During the 1920s, two clubs fromed in the same area, Treaty and Sarsfields. They amalgamated as Treaty-Sarsfields around 1940 and were one of the strongest clubs in the county in hurling during the 1940s and 1950s. Their football dominance carried on until around 1980 but, without a field of their own, they began to struggle with the emergence of Na Piarsigh who had built up a very successful underage section after formation in 1969. They dropped down to junior football during the 1980s, then pulled out of hurling entirely and, by around 1995, were down to turning out for just one Junior B game in the year. When they failed to field against Monaleen in the first round of the City Junior B Football Championship in August 1998, treaty-Sarsfields folded up.
2) St. Michaels were based in the old St. Michaels parish in the city (i.e. the current parishes of St. Michaels, St. Josephs and St. Saviours). They drew their players from the city centre area until depopulation caught up with them.
3) Young Irelands were the strongest hurling club in Limerick up until the emergence of Ahane in 1931. They were the glamour club of their day and attracted many players who moved into the city to work. Young Ireland's also had a close connection with Commericals, the county's dominant football club during the early days, who won Limerick's only two All-Irelands in 1887 and 1896. Both clubs began to struggle when parish-based clubs like Claughaun, St. Patrick's and treaty-Sarsfields took off after the Second World War and had dropped down to junior grade. Young Irelands folded up around 1985 and Commercials around 1990.
4) Ballysimon Faughs were one of three clubs in the Monaleen/Castletroy/Ballysimon/Annacotty area before the First World War, the others being the Kilmurry Emmetts and Annacotty. All of them folded up during the Troubles. Annacotty reformed as a football club only between 1926 and 1928 and were succeeded by Monaleen who played both codes between 1929 and 1940. Around the time they folded up, the Faughs reformed and lasted until 1957 when the current Monaleen club was reformed.

Prof Honeydew (Limerick) - Posts: 1110 - 08/04/2008 17:03:09    4918

Link

The north side if the city should be targetted as an area for football,hurling developement area. Plenty a young people who need an outlet and many dont play rugby or soccer. GAA should at least attempt it

Fishermantom (Limerick) - Posts: 567 - 21/10/2013 20:42:13    1504129

Link

Definately room for another club on the Northside. Abbey and LIT Sarsfields have folded. No permanent field or base seems to have been their problem. Treaty Sarsfields should be reformed as a football only club because Na Piarsaigh have no time for the game. Time the GAA got onto the regeneration agencies to develop a new GAA field for the Northside.

record (Limerick) - Posts: 128 - 22/10/2013 12:23:29    1504316

Link

Bit harsh sayin na piar have no time for football. they have 2 adult teams. intermediate and junior a and enter teams in underage every year.
the point was that this part of the city where treaty used to be has no gaa anymore. even though the history and tradition are there in small pockets. think a plan to target primary school would be welcome. Not a hurling.football v rugby.soccer thing just think every kid should have the choice of games these days

Fishermantom (Limerick) - Posts: 567 - 22/10/2013 12:53:34    1504334

Link

Great info from all contributors.

On a side-note, does anybody else find that Clancy Construction ad popping up and down at the top of the page really annoying when reading posts?

whitefire (Limerick) - Posts: 175 - 23/10/2013 09:33:17    1504689

Link

Professor Honeydew

What happened Young Irelands field in Westfields? Was their houses built on it or was their a problem with it being a Special Area of Consevation? I think they left it in the early 70s.

record (Limerick) - Posts: 128 - 22/03/2015 09:43:55    1705060

Link

Na Piarsaigh are now senior. Hardly a sign of a club with no interest in football.

mike03 (Limerick) - Posts: 2000 - 24/03/2015 14:02:22    1706034

Link

Young Irelands rented a field from the Lanigan family who farmed in what is now the Westfields estate off the North Circular Road. As far as I know, they played there until around 1970. I'm not sure as to why they moved out. It may have been that the farm was sold to builders. I don't think there was any formal lease. Back then, mnay clubs played on fields where there either an informal arrangement with the owner, where it was commonage or where it was parish property. In the city, there were also fields owned by the Corporation (Treaty- Sarsfields played in Shelbourne Park and Canon Punch Park - now a soccer field on Hyde Road - was leased by the City Board and used by City clubs like St Brendan's and Old Christians). It was only in the late 1960s that most clubs got around to buying fields of their own.

Na Piarsaigh were founded around the same time Young Irelands moved out of Lanigan's field and a number of the founding members of the club came from Young Irelands. If you want to know any more about what happened back then, you could ask Dan Hickey of Na Piarsaigh or maybe Jack Sheehan of St Pats. Dan played hurling for Young Irelands and football for Commercials when he originally came to the city.

Prof Honeydew (Limerick) - Posts: 1110 - 24/03/2015 20:48:54    1706217

Link

Thanks Prof.

record (Limerick) - Posts: 128 - 25/03/2015 09:54:28    1706297

Link