11. Michael Foley
12. Colin Regan
13. Philip Howard
14. James Glancy
15. David O' Connor

1-4 is solid enough
5-9 is quiet weak
10-15 could only be better if Maxwell was playing

This is the team that will probably start every single match in this years league, this is the team that will bring us to Division 3!!! if Clare can beat Wicklow, we can beat Wicklow!!!!!

LovelyCounty (Leitrim) - Posts: 69 - 11/02/2010 14:55:44    558636

Link

"the team that will bring us to Division 3"

Wouldn't mind some of what you're drinking my lad.

Our away form is absolutely shocking - with home form heading the same way - so I'll be very surprised if we get a result in Aughrim. The only saving grace could be the fact that Micko doesn't give a hoot about the National League.

Tiger (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 11/02/2010 15:27:41    558686

Link

This is the team as per the leitrim gaa website:

LEITRIM V WICKLOW 14/2/10
1. Enda Lyons (Eanna De Leon) Carrigallen
2. Dermot Reynolds (Diarmuid MacRaghnaill) Annaduff
3. John McKeon (Seán MacEoin) Drumreilly
4. Barry Prior (Barra Mac an Phriora) Aughawillan
5. Daniel Beck (Domhnaill De Beic) Mohill
6. Gary Reynolds (Garrai MacRaghnaill) Carrigallen
7. James Glancy (Seamus Mac Fhlannacha) St. Marys
8. Tomas Beirne (Tomas Ó Beirn) Eslin
9. David O' Connor (Daibhid Ó Conchubhair) Bornacoola
10. Philip McGuinness (Philib MacAonghusa) Mohill
11. Michael Foley (Michéal Ó Foghlú) Kilcock
12. Colin Regan (Cóilín Ó Riagáin) Melvin Gaels
13. Ronan Kennedy (Rónán Ó Cinnéide) Mohill
14. James Glancy (Seamus MacFhlannacha) Glencar/Manorhamilton
15. Declan Gilhooly (D Mac Giolla hUallaigh) Allen Gaels

liatroim abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 30 - 12/02/2010 13:17:51    559546

Link

That's about our best potential midfield pairing. They've both got champo experience. Now give em a string of league games together to let them bed in.... We'll give Wickla a game I reckon.

waifster (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 12/02/2010 17:53:24    559868

Link

It does not matter if Bernie and O Connor have 20 years experience the will be wiped out on Sunday

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 821 - 12/02/2010 19:11:12    559971

Link

They're up against two big units in Stafford and Walsh (if they're starting) but it's the kind of education they need. They won't be wiped out, they might be second best but I hope they learn plenty and aren't afraid to compete and get in their faces....

waifster (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 12/02/2010 19:32:34    560011

Link

The are not county players

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 821 - 13/02/2010 12:46:47    560309

Link

Just Back from Aughrim. Where were all the hogan stand supporters at the match. There was a small band of noisy Leitrim supporters on the far side of the pitch ( opposite the stand) who gave the team great support and the team responded magnificently. Firstly the team included D O Connor & Tomas Beirne at midfield and they were fantastic.Leitrim won the midfield all through the game. M & M should stick with this pairing.They are young and have a great future.D Reynolds Annaduff was a revelation at corner back and along with Colin Regan was probably man of the match.Gary Reynolds at centre half back played well all through.
Damian O Donnell had a brillant first half with great support from Phily McGuinness all through. Darren Sweeney came on at midfeld and is great back up for OConnor & Beirne .Shane Foley & Emmyn Mulligan came on late in the game and certainly improved matters.

The game was close all through.At 8 points to 7 for Wicklow Michael Foleys free,came back of the post,Wicklow won it,went down the field and scored a lucky goal.
That was the turning point.Leitrim played well all through and the pity is the scoreline does not do the performance justice.

Positives - We now have a midfield to build on. A lot of young players coming on to the panel and the team is in a transformation period.No Leitrim supporter could walk away from Aughrim disappointed.The players gave their all and on another day could have won it. Well done to all the players and the management team. The improvement from the Waterford game was clearly evident.The Leitrim team finished the stronger.
A few experienced players are on the way back from inury.

Negatives

In the first half in particular Leitrim had so much posession but only scored 4 points.
How can we solve this problem.We also missed a few scorable frees.

Conclusion

If we can get the forwards scoring we will have a smashing team.

Give this panel time. Things might not be as bad as some supporters think.

Eddie

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 200 - 14/02/2010 18:17:45    561049

Link

good to see somthing positive about the game for a change.didnt make the game myself eddie as i was working.

jpc (USA) - Posts: 8 - 15/02/2010 09:34:49    561362

Link

i have to agree it was a much better performance overall & definitely think that is our strongest midfield pairing. same old story up front though, too much waste & balls dropping short into the keepers hands & still the full forward line gathering in the square & then the defenders getting out quicker & winning the ball, why they are persisting with this? good to see emlyn doing well , i look forward to maxwells return , heshould make a huge difference.
still i get the feeling that they dont believe they can actually go & win

mac21 (Leitrim) - Posts: 676 - 15/02/2010 09:37:34    561366

Link

I was at the match yesterday and despite the 7pt loss I came away fairly optimistic. The game was closer than the scoreline suggests. Leitrim competed very well for most of the match except for a 10-12 mins spell after conceding the goal. The pattern of play was more purposeful in this match than in recent games. There was a better mix of fist pass and diagonal kick into space. Movement was better and there were less handling errors but there is a distinct lack of pace in the team and its exposing them at times.

Midfield looked functional again. Beirne looks to have really good promise. He showed skill to go with a physical presence but there were times when his inexperience showed. David O'Connor worked well alongside him. Rego, for me, looks essential to this team. I thought the collapse began last week when he went off injured. This week, as last, most of the forward movement was channeled through him. He was the main link between defence and attack. He's showing real leadership at the moment and the players seem to be looking to him. We're lucky he's back. It was great to see Shane Foley back. He slotted back in to right half back but was only brought on when the game was effectively lost. Please, please let us see him back in the half backs over the next few weeks complementing Rego in that middle third. The new Dermot Reynolds (Annaduff) had a good strong game, one fantastic goal line clearance and a good solid performance overall.

Conceding the goal was the turning point and came from an all too familiar scenario. A relatively easy free, missed from 20-25m when we were 2pts down, the ball doesn't go dead and we concede a score. Nothing lucky about the Wicklow goal but its something we've seen many times in the past. Instead of being 1pt down we fall 5 behind and another 2 quick points by Wicklow and they're 7 up and cutting loose. At least the guys didn't fold. They kept pushing to try and rescue something and the closing period was shared with 4pts apiece. But today more than ever emphasized what we already know. Mulligan is the only free taker we have. Before he came on there were a lot of poor frees and shots dropping short. The full forward line tried hard but the fact that Rego and others had to resort to taking responsibility for shooting in the 2nd half was telling. There's a long way to go but after so much doom and gloom lately there are definite reasons for optimism.

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 61 - 15/02/2010 09:40:36    561371

Link

Good to see something positive emerging. Couldn't make it myself as I was working. Glad to see that we seem to have something to build upon with Beirne and O'Connor. The papers all stated that Leitrim won the midfield battle, which was the main reason they stayed in touch.... These boys need just a couple of wins now to get the confidence flowing. Completely agree about Rego - he's a warrior and a leader.

waifster (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 15/02/2010 14:56:31    561805

Link

Lads- Best of Luck for the rest of the league campaign and championship. Always had a soft spot for ye due to family connections up there. Considering how many players you have to pick from you put most other counties to shame.

Best of luck from a Wicklow supporter

stanley (None) - Posts: 434 - 15/02/2010 18:11:57    562164

Link

Roscommon will give Leitrim such a walloping in the championship that they might consider forgetting about football altogether.

maryellen (Roscommon) - Posts: 96 - 17/02/2010 14:41:45    564325

Link

Good woman maryellen, begorrah that has put us in our place. Did you think that up all by yourself or is that straight of the Roscommon county board's New York Times bestseller '101 Ways to Cut Leitrim People to the Bone with Gut-Shuddering Slags'?

waifster (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 17/02/2010 16:55:35    564582

Link