Leinster Colleges: Goals see holders through to last eight

January 26, 2011

St Pats defender Liam Bourke
St Patrick's, Navan 3-7
Knockbeg College, Carlow 1-9

The sides managed ten scores apiece but goals proved decisive as holders St Patrick's Classical School, Navan overcame Knockbeg College in this Leinster Colleges SFC round two fixture at Dr Cullen Park, Carlow on Wednesday afternoon.

Substitute Dylan Regan netted the match-clinching score in the first of four minutes of stoppage time with a low drive beyond Knockbeg 'keeper Craig Wall.

The time remaining yielded a point from Knockbeg captain Dan Aylsbury but couldn't divert the team representing the school located on the edge of Carlow town from exiting the competition.

In their first outing in defence of their provincial laurels, St Pat's were on the back foot in the early stages. However, two goals in three minutes towards the end of the first quarter earned them a lead they didn't cash in.

Paul Kingston - brother of Laois senior Donie - was the influential figure early on and put three points to his name in the opening eight minutes as Knockbeg went 0-3 to 0-1 clear.

At the end of a sweeping move Ciaran Fitzsimons finished to the Knockbeg net in the 11th minute with the influential Alan Forde providing the assist.

Three minutes later Cathal Smith bagged his side's second goal after his penalty kick rebound off the butt of a post. The award was made for a foul on Colin McGrane.

An excellent Forde point with his left foot was one of the highlights of the second quarter while St Pat's 'keeper Robert Burlingham made an excellent reflex save from Aylsbury in first-half stoppage time.

Colm O'Rourke's charges reached half-time leading by 2-5 to 0-4 while Kingston was Knockbeg's sole scorer in the opening 30 mintues.

Tom Daly and Matt Campion came to the fore as Chris Conway's charges rallied on the resumption in a bid to overturn a seven-point interval deficit.

St Pat's failed to register in the third quarter but Fitzsimons had a goal attempt smartly saved by Craig Wall. When Kingston pointed from distance just four points separated the sides heading into the final quarter.

Knockbeg hopes soared when a foul on Aylsbury led to a penalty. Burlingham was equal to Kingston's effort but the game's top scorer netted from the rebound and just a point separated the sides, 1-8 to 2-6 with 53 minutes gone.

That was as good as got for the school located on the Carlow-Laois border. A Cathal Smith pointed free earned St Pat's some leeway and then came Regan's goal.

St Patrick's - R. Burlingham; N. Coughlan, O. Fitzpatrick, E. Murtagh; R O Coileain, L. Bourke, C. Shaw; C. Sheridan, D. Curran; C. McGrane, A. Forde (0-2), F. McEntee (0-1, f); N. O'Brien (0-1), C. Smith (1-2, 0-2 fs), C. Fitzsimons (1-1). Subs - B. Dardis for Curran, P. Kennelly for McGrane (both ht), G. Power for Shaw (47), F. Ward for McEntee (55), D. Regan (1-0) for Fitzsimons (58).

Knockbeg - C. Wall; B. Nolan, C. Lennon, E. O'Hora; P. Doyle, E. Nolan, D. Dunne; M. O'Halloran, P. McEvoy; M. Wall, D. Aylsbury (0-1), T. Daly; M. Campion (0-1), P. Kingston (1-6, 0-4 fs), B. Regan. Subs - D. Booth (0-1) for Regan (24), P. Manning for O'Hora (ht), P. Shaw for M. Wall (37), W. Fitzpatrick for Dunne (60).

Referee - A. Lagrue (Kildare).

Most Read Stories