Leinster MFC: Still no separating Dubs and Kildare

May 30, 2010
Dublin's ESB Leinster MFC quarter-final against Kildare will go to a second replay after extra-time once again failed to separate the sides at Parnell Park yesterday.

Dublin 1-13
Kildare 2-10
(after extra-time)

The teams will put their rivalry to one side until after the Leaving Cert exams at the end of next month with the winners progressing to a semi-final against Longford. It will be the fourth meeting of the counties this summer, with Kildare having won the first round clash in Newbridge by four points before the Dubs emerged as their opponents (via the backdoor) for the last-eight clash.

Just like last week's game, Kildare led for long stages but couldn't put their injury-hit opponents away. Padraig Fogarty's 10th minute goal helped the Lilywhites to a 1-4 to 0-4 half-time lead, but three unanswered points from Ferghal Duffy and Philip Ryan (two) on the restart had the Dubs level by the 45th minute.

Kildare, who were dominating at midfield, regained the lead through two Liam McGovern points (one free), but Dublin replied with injury-time scores from Sean Stewart and Adam Caffrey to force extra-time for the second weekend in-a-row.

The home side registered the first two points of extra-time through Jack McCaffrey and Duffy, only for Brian Murphy's men to reply with efforts from McGovern and Paul Cocoman, which left the score reading 0-12 to 1-9 at the end of the first period.

The Dubs looked set to prevail when Colm Woods netted within a minute of the restart, but Kildare levelled three minutes later when Kevin Feely slotted home a penalty.

The drama didn't end there as there was a further exchange of points between Ryan (free) and Feely in injury-time.

Scorers - Dublin: P Ryan 1-4 (0-1f), C Diamond 0-3 (0-2f), S Stewart, P Duffy (0-1f) 0-2 each, A Caffrey, J McCaffrey 0-1 each. Kildare: P Fogarty 1-2, K Feely 1-1 (1-0 pen), L McGovern 0-3 (0-1f), F Dowling, P Cribbin, K Hurley, P Cocoman 0-1 each.

Most Read Stories