Leinster Club SFC: Portlaoise progress

November 09, 2009

Adrian Kelly Portlaoise and Seneschalstown's Robert Ruddy contest the high ball during the Leinster Club SFC at Portlaoise
Portlaoise 3-12 Seneschalstown 1-6 Competition favourites Portlaoise comfortably advanced to a last four meeting with Clara when easily defeating Seneschalstown in this AIB Leinster Club SFC quarter-final at O'Moore Park on Sunday afternoon. Crowned Meath SFC champions just three days earlier, Seneschalstown lacked the necessary sharpness to seriously test the Laois men - who had a two-week break since their demolition of Mattock Rangers. Since then the 'Town' lost Zach Tuohy - who joined Aussie Rules outfit Carlton Blues - but were boosted by early goals from Brian Glynn and Paul Cahillane. The latter player finished with 2-1 to his name while Glynn scored 1-2. Barry Fitzgerald's five points from placed balls also contributed to Portlaoise's 12-point winning margin. Damien Sheridan's men might have finished a little closer to the Laois men had they been able to capitalise on several goal chances that presented themselves in the opening period. Shortly after Glynn's third minute goal Brian Sheridan fired over the bar from close range and the deficit was down to two points, 0-2 to 1-1. The best of the rest of the Seneschalstown goal chances fell to Gary Conlon on the cusp of half-time but his effort was saved by Portlaoise 'keeper Michael Nolan at the expense of a '45'. Cahillane's opening goal arrived nine minutes in with Fitzgerald providing the assist and the board read 2-1 to 0-2. Heading into the second-quarter the Portlaoise lead was up to seven points after Peter McNulty sent over. Portlaoise were somewhat wasteful in the opening exchanges but despite shooting six first-half wides led by 2-6 to 0-5 at half-time. Joe Sheridan - who operated between midfield and full-forward - got Seneschalstown's first score on the resumption when latching onto a long David Lyons delivery. The latter made a couple of fine saves - notably from Fitzgerald and substitute Conor Boyle - as Seneschalstown battled to keep down the deficit. Portlaoise's lead was up to 14 points heading into the final quarter after Cahillane netted his second goal and Peter McNulty pointed. Despite insurmounable odds, Seneschalstown kept plugging away and gained some consolation when wing-back Stephen Sheridan goaled after cousin Joe's effort was stopped. Portlaoise - M. Nolan; E. Bland, K. Fitzpartick, M. McNulty; B. Mulligan, C.Healy, K. Lillis (0-1); A. Kelly, B. McCormack; C. Rogers, A. Fennelly (0-1), B. Glynn (1-2); P. Cahillane, B. Fitzgerald (0-5, fs), P. McNulty (0-2). Subs - C. Byrne for Kelly (46), B. Smyth for Fitzgerald (51), C.Boyle for P. McNulty (52), J. Fennell for Fennelly, P. Cotter for M. McNulty (both 56). Seneschalstown - D. Lyons; P. Carey, A. Collins, G. Sheridan; M. Carey, J. Cowley, S. Sheridan (1-0); J. Sheridan (0-1), D. Sheridan; G. Conlon, C. Macken, S. Finnegan (0-1); S. Clarke (0-2, 1 fr), R. Ruddy, B. Sheridan (0-2, 1 f), Subs - J. Byrne for P. Carey (16), B. Clarke for Macken (22), C. Duffy for Ruddy (30), A. Gleeson for S. Clarke (38), T. Ledwidge for Finnegan (58). Referee - T. Quigley (Dublin).

Most Read Stories