Leinster club SFC: Crokes crush O'Mahonys hopes

November 24, 2008
Kilmacud Crokes crushed Navan O'Mahonys hopes of a first AIB Leinster Club SFC final appearance when convincingly dispatching the Meath champions in this semi-final clash at Parnell Park on Sunday. Kilmacud Crokes 1-11 Navan O'Mahonys 0-7 On a day when marquee player Mark Vaughan was well-shackled by Niall McKeigue, it was Brian Kavanagh who did most to unsettle the O'Mahonys rearguard that had conceded just one goal in nine previous championship outings this year. The Longford player posted two points from play and had a hand in several of his side's scores including the goal that gave them a 1-1 to 0-2 advantage nine minutes in, a lead they held to the end. His wind-assisted delivery from the wing wound up in the O'Mahonys net with full-forward Mark Davoren claiming the credit and the south Dublin club, playing in their eighth championship outing at this venue in recent weeks were in front for the first time. With Darren Magee getting the better of Mark Ward at midfield and the Kilmacud wing-backs quicker to the breaks they posted five more points on the spin to lead by 1-6 to 0-2 at the break. Wing-back Brian McGrath and Kavanagh got on the scores sheet in that flourish with three Vaughan efforts (two frees) completing the first-half total. Within two minutes of the restart, O'Mahonys had doubled their tally with Stephen and David Bray (free) pointing. The siblings then combined in one of the Navan side's better moves with the latter player firing low and wide. O'Mahonys were more wasteful, shooting nine wides to their opponents four over the hour, but managed to trim the deficit to four points, 0-7 to 1-8, with about ten minutes remaining. When Niall McKeigue and Cormac McGuinness took wrong options in the next two attacks the curtain had come down on a memorable year for the Brews Hill club that saw Sean Kelly and Sean Barry's charges lead the club to a first Meath SFC title since 1997. Having posted just two second-half points in 25 minutes, Paddy Carr's charges finished with a flourish and might have got in for a second goal but O'Mahonys 'keeper Mark Brennan saved well from Pat Burke. That only provided temporary respite and Kilmacud Crokes maintained their bid for a third provincial crown with points from Vaughan (free) before Burke wrapped up the scoring with a brace from play. Despite playing against the strong wind, O'Mahonys opening brightly with early points from David Bray and Paddy Smyth either side of Kavanagh opening score. Once the goal went in, O'Mahonys were playing catch-up and a lack of experience at this level ultimately unhinged their bid for a maiden provincial final appearance. Kilmacud Crokes - D. Nestor; C. Lambe; R. O'Carroll, K. Nolan; A. Morrissey, P. Griffin, B. McGrath (0-1); D. Magee, N. Corkery; L. McBarron, P. Burke (0-2), R. Cosgrove; M. Vaughan (0-6, 4 frees), M. Davoren (1-0), B. Kavanagh (0-2). Subs - L. Og O hEinneachain for Cosgrove (37 mins), J. Magee for Corkery (47 mins), B. O'Rorke for McBarron (52 mins). O'Mahonys - M. Brennan; D. Moran, K. Reilly, N. McKeigue; S. O'Toole, C. McGuinness, S. MacGabhann; B. Regan, M. Ward; P. Smyth (0-1), S. Bray (0-2), H. Finnegan; D. Bray (0-2, 1 free), S. McKeigue, S. Keating (0-1, free). Subs - G. O'Brien (0-1) for Smyth (half-time), L. Russell for Finnegan (45 mins), T. Loughran for S. McKeigue (60 mins). Referee - J. Bannon (Longford)

Most Read Stories