Leinster SFC: Ógs earn replay after extra time

November 09, 2008
Éire Óg 2-4 Colmcille 0-10 Éire Óg and Colmcille will have to do it all again in the Leinster Senior Football Club Championship quarter-finals after the two sides played out an absorbing draw yesterday at Dr Cullen Park, Carlow, after extra time. Longford champions Colmcille dominated for most period throughout the hour and raced into an and early lead through the points of Enda Farrell and Tommy Doyle before Eric McCormack rattled the net on 18 minutes for Éire Óg. The Carlow side struck for their second major moments later through Mark Kelly, which gave them a half-time lead of 2-1 to 0-3. Colmcille held the hosts scoreless throughout the second-half, while Noel Farrell helped slot over the points that forced the game into extra-time although Ciaran Brady's side would have been in the last four had one of two goal efforts from full-forward Declan Farrell not been brilliantly saved by Michael Hennessy on both occasions. Éire Óg substitute Cormac Mullins struck the first score of extra-time before his side lost their full-back Shane Myers to a second yellow card. Eight minutes into the added on periods Eric McCormack squandered a penalty for the home side but would make up for it in the second-half. Noel Farrell and substitute Paul McKenna only managed to pierce a crowded out Éire Óg defence to give their side a one-point lead which was met by McCormack hoisting a white flag to ensure a replay at Longford next weekend. Eire Og - M Hennessy; P Cashin, S Myers, V Kavanagh; A Curran, C McCarthy, B Hennessy; C Bolger, E Phelan; B Carbery 0-1, S Gannon, T Dowling; E McCormack 1-2, M Kelly 1-0, S Rea. Subs - W Quinlan for Rea, C Mullins 0-1 for Kelly, P Kingston for Dowling, B Kavanagh for Phelan, J Ryan for Hennessy. Colmcille - G Tonra; P Murtagh, N Farrell 0-3, O McGivney; B Brady, G Murtagh, D Reilly; E Farrell 0-1, F Kavanagh; JP Reilly 0-1, D Reilly, A Gormley; T Doyle 0-2, D Farrell 0-1, B McCabe. Subs - P Murtagh for Doyle; P Brady 0-1 for McCabe; P McKeown 0-1 for JP Reilly. Ref - T Quigley (Dublin).

Most Read Stories