Wicklow Forum

Intermediate Hurling Championship

(Oldest Posts First)

Semi Finals on this weekend

Kilcoole v Barndarrig
Carnew v Arklow

Would be nice to see a new team in the SHC and have it at 8 with two groups of 4.

Then again, there is an obvious gap between the top 4 senior teams and the rest. There is an argument in demoting 2 from senior and promoting one from intermediate. Thoughts?

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 92 - 05/09/2019 15:01:56    2233060

Link

Replying To liam500:  "Semi Finals on this weekend

Kilcoole v Barndarrig
Carnew v Arklow

Would be nice to see a new team in the SHC and have it at 8 with two groups of 4.

Then again, there is an obvious gap between the top 4 senior teams and the rest. There is an argument in demoting 2 from senior and promoting one from intermediate. Thoughts?"
Carnew v Kilcoole final for me and Carnew winning the championship, If Kilcoole or Arklow were to go up they would be destroyed by the top 3 maybe top 4 and beatings are no good for young players, it'll only put them off. I'd like to see 2 group teams like in juvenile with Arklow and Avondale joining together and kilcoole in with greystones. Play the intermediate championship on a Friday and senior on a Sunday.

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 124 - 06/09/2019 10:25:53    2233241

Link

Bit of a surprise there Barndarrig beating Kilcoole at the weekend. Carnew must be favourites for this. Unfortunately none of the other teams seem to have senior potential yet.

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 92 - 10/09/2019 21:38:06    2234225

Link

Replying To liam500:  "Bit of a surprise there Barndarrig beating Kilcoole at the weekend. Carnew must be favourites for this. Unfortunately none of the other teams seem to have senior potential yet."
I saw all the inter teams at one stage or another this year and, to me, Carnew stand out. Kilcoole - some handy hurlers but hardly enough, Barndarrig - relying on Kavanagh ?? Glenealy - look as if only one of their three squads putting anything into training. At senior level it's still only 4 teams really. Kiltegan are improving while Greystones appear to have levelled off. I'm afraid it might be a while longer before we have a competitive league with 6 teams, never mind 8.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 10/09/2019 22:43:27    2234246

Link

The talk is the county board are going to try have a 8 team senior championship with 2 groups of 4, How will that work if Carnew win the intermediate championship ?? Going on form they are the favourites but Kilcoole taught the same. Again i'll say Barandarig going up is no good for them as what would the top 4 teams do to teams, same with Kilcoole and Arklow.

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 124 - 12/09/2019 10:21:19    2234664

Link

I see Carnew won comfortably enough last weekend against Barndarrig. Will they have two teams in the senior championship? 8 team championship, two groups of 4, One carnew team in group A and the other in Group B?

Or will it be just left at 7 teams?

In Senior...Two groups of 4 would look something like
Group A: Group B:
Glenealy Bray
Carnew St Pats
Kiltegan Eire Og
Avondale Carnew

Winners of each group qualify for semi finals
2 v 3 and 3 v 2 play in quarter finals to determine other two semi finalists, while 4 v 4 play in a relegation game

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1093 - 27/09/2019 12:16:58    2239609

Link

Replying To 890202:  "I see Carnew won comfortably enough last weekend against Barndarrig. Will they have two teams in the senior championship? 8 team championship, two groups of 4, One carnew team in group A and the other in Group B?

Or will it be just left at 7 teams?

In Senior...Two groups of 4 would look something like
Group A: Group B:
Glenealy Bray
Carnew St Pats
Kiltegan Eire Og
Avondale Carnew

Winners of each group qualify for semi finals
2 v 3 and 3 v 2 play in quarter finals to determine other two semi finalists, while 4 v 4 play in a relegation game"
couldnt have two carnew teams in senior, group teams are the only way to boost senior. In my opinion there is no point in having a Junior B championship with only seven teams able to play senior. Think group teams have a better chance of surviving in hurling rather than football as best players are willing to go travel to play look at Aughrim lads playing for carnew in past and lads from Blessington going to play in kiltegan

Victorious87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 420 - 27/09/2019 16:50:42    2239682

Link

Replying To Victorious87:  "couldnt have two carnew teams in senior, group teams are the only way to boost senior. In my opinion there is no point in having a Junior B championship with only seven teams able to play senior. Think group teams have a better chance of surviving in hurling rather than football as best players are willing to go travel to play look at Aughrim lads playing for carnew in past and lads from Blessington going to play in kiltegan"
I think that possibly Kiltegan are an exception. They have always attracted players from a wide area of south and west Wicklow. Newcastle, Enniskerry and Kilcoole possibly could form a useful outfit. Annacurra, Aughrim and Avoca maybe. It would be nearly a heresy to suggest possibly Barndarrig and ARP. I am assuming that any potential hurlers in AGB would gravitate towards these clubs anyway. That whole area around South Wicklow Shillelagh out towards Tullow, Coolboy, Tinahely , Coolafancy, out towards Hacketstown ?? Perhaps Carnew and Kiltegan attract these players already. Really it is hard to see anymore than 2 or possibly 3 group teams out of the junior clubs and even then they would have to start at intermediate level. It's good to see the Dales back at the higher levels of football but I think their hurlers may struggle at senior. Hard to see a club with a proud hurling tradition like theirs joining a group team. Greystones can probably hold their own at senior. Rathnew give a token few players to Glenealy lower teams, Ashford who always produced a few decent hurlers for Glenealy seem to have been sidelined in recent times. Newtown players who wanted to hurl went with Newcastle. Laragh and Roundwood largely shun the small ball. Sorry if I have left out a hurling stronghold but there it is.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 27/09/2019 20:44:37    2239725

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I think that possibly Kiltegan are an exception. They have always attracted players from a wide area of south and west Wicklow. Newcastle, Enniskerry and Kilcoole possibly could form a useful outfit. Annacurra, Aughrim and Avoca maybe. It would be nearly a heresy to suggest possibly Barndarrig and ARP. I am assuming that any potential hurlers in AGB would gravitate towards these clubs anyway. That whole area around South Wicklow Shillelagh out towards Tullow, Coolboy, Tinahely , Coolafancy, out towards Hacketstown ?? Perhaps Carnew and Kiltegan attract these players already. Really it is hard to see anymore than 2 or possibly 3 group teams out of the junior clubs and even then they would have to start at intermediate level. It's good to see the Dales back at the higher levels of football but I think their hurlers may struggle at senior. Hard to see a club with a proud hurling tradition like theirs joining a group team. Greystones can probably hold their own at senior. Rathnew give a token few players to Glenealy lower teams, Ashford who always produced a few decent hurlers for Glenealy seem to have been sidelined in recent times. Newtown players who wanted to hurl went with Newcastle. Laragh and Roundwood largely shun the small ball. Sorry if I have left out a hurling stronghold but there it is."
Tullow and Hacketstown is in Co Carlow.... Glenealy get players from Ashford, Newtown and Rathnew, Glenealy also supply players to St Pat's, Carnew get players from Coolboy, Annacurra and Tinahely while Kiltegan is all the west clubs and maybe 1 or 2 from Tinahely. Avondale get Laragh and Roundwood if there is any. If there making it a 8 team championship I'd get a group team of Arklow Rocks, Aughrim, Barndaraig. Even let Kilcoole join with Eire og to make them stronger.

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 124 - 02/10/2019 07:53:44    2240839

Link

Replying To brollyboy:  "Tullow and Hacketstown is in Co Carlow.... Glenealy get players from Ashford, Newtown and Rathnew, Glenealy also supply players to St Pat's, Carnew get players from Coolboy, Annacurra and Tinahely while Kiltegan is all the west clubs and maybe 1 or 2 from Tinahely. Avondale get Laragh and Roundwood if there is any. If there making it a 8 team championship I'd get a group team of Arklow Rocks, Aughrim, Barndaraig. Even let Kilcoole join with Eire og to make them stronger."
Sounds sensible but that will only give one extra team to current senior set up. Looking at Avondale, they will struggle to stay senior in the short term at least. It's a while since they got anything from Laragh or Roundwood I'd imagine. With the Community College there you would imagine more young players would come through. I suppose we don't have any real recognised "feeder schools" for hurling as other counties do, with the possible exception of Colaiste Bhrid. This is just a general observation and I don't wish to appear to be critical of our Colleges. I suppose at the end of the day, they are just a byproduct of the general state of our games in the county.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 02/10/2019 13:43:42    2240931

Link

BTW, a lot of Juvenile hulers from Roundwood and Newtown are now playing with Kilcoole. This will be reflected at adult level in a few years. Roundwood actually has some fine hurlers at u12 level. Hopefully theyll stay at it.

liam500 (Wicklow) - Posts: 92 - 03/10/2019 22:55:40    2241259

Link