Wicklow Forum

Junior A Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Valleymount were their own worst enemy. Thinking of the county final instead of what was before them. Blessington will cause An Tochar problems. If An Tochar have the same syndrome Valleymount had, they will be there for the taking!

Bridalceoil (Wicklow) - Posts: 109 - 08/10/2019 19:58:05    2242160

Link

Replying To Bridalceoil:  "Valleymount were their own worst enemy. Thinking of the county final instead of what was before them. Blessington will cause An Tochar problems. If An Tochar have the same syndrome Valleymount had, they will be there for the taking!"
That's a bit harsh. Blessington were full value for their win. Valleymounts last group game was a walkover so they had a huge gap before this game. They were effectively caught cold. Added to this they have some good young players but like most small clubs they still rely on a spine of key players the wrong side of 30. Blessington had too much in the tank

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 10/10/2019 09:53:31    2242506

Link

Congrats to An Tochair on their victory. A game of two halves if ever there was one from a football point of view anyway. The first half a was a write off. Second half developed into a pretty exciting affair, even from a neutral point of view. Blessington will probably rue not tying the title up the first day and had their chances again today, even the sun which aided them in the first half disappeared in the second. An Tochair were able to weather all attacks on their defence and get back upfield. There were a few good performances, I thought young Mc Hugh had an outstanding game. I suppose, in fairness, apart from in the scoring department there were some very good displays from both sets of players, particularly for Jun A standard. Do I think any of the Intermediate teams will be quaking in their boots ? Probably not.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 206 - 03/11/2019 17:54:52    2247450

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Congrats to An Tochair on their victory. A game of two halves if ever there was one from a football point of view anyway. The first half a was a write off. Second half developed into a pretty exciting affair, even from a neutral point of view. Blessington will probably rue not tying the title up the first day and had their chances again today, even the sun which aided them in the first half disappeared in the second. An Tochair were able to weather all attacks on their defence and get back upfield. There were a few good performances, I thought young Mc Hugh had an outstanding game. I suppose, in fairness, apart from in the scoring department there were some very good displays from both sets of players, particularly for Jun A standard. Do I think any of the Intermediate teams will be quaking in their boots ? Probably not."
No disrespect to either Blessington or An Tocher but at the end of the day this is Blessington's second team. Blesso used up a large quota of players going all the way to a senior semi replay. Its not so long ago Roundwood were a strong senior team- winning a Miley cup in the mid 90's so really you would be expecting An Tocher to win it if they have anything at all about them.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 04/11/2019 10:11:08    2247591

Link

Replying To clubfan17:  "No disrespect to either Blessington or An Tocher but at the end of the day this is Blessington's second team. Blesso used up a large quota of players going all the way to a senior semi replay. Its not so long ago Roundwood were a strong senior team- winning a Miley cup in the mid 90's so really you would be expecting An Tocher to win it if they have anything at all about them."
A really sub standard game I thought. The talented young players on Blesssington team were well held and not always legally. The incident with the awarded penalty then not proceeding changed the game and pretty much decided it.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 41 - 04/11/2019 18:12:07    2247723

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "A really sub standard game I thought. The talented young players on Blesssington team were well held and not always legally. The incident with the awarded penalty then not proceeding changed the game and pretty much decided it."
I think you and I were at two different games my friend. In the first half both sides cancelled each other out. I would have thought that any misdemeanours were at least equally shared. I'd imagine that if you took an average age profile, An Tochair would come out on the younger side so enough of this business of Blessington young players being hard done by. I believe that player who had his shoulder knocked out without even getting a free is hardly a pensioner either. That penalty thing obviously had an effect and I have too no idea what happened there. The second incident was a clear cut penalty. This new style of football is all about possession so players with the ball are inviting rather physical attention and referees seem to be pretty lenient with some of the tackling, but this is evident in all grades in adult football. This was no doubt a factor in the number of misdirected passes from each side yesterday. Incidentally, how many wides did each side have for the hour, or in the first half particularly. Like I said earlier, from a neutral perspective, the first half was a washout, but the second half did get interesting.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 206 - 04/11/2019 18:44:08    2247729

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I think you and I were at two different games my friend. In the first half both sides cancelled each other out. I would have thought that any misdemeanours were at least equally shared. I'd imagine that if you took an average age profile, An Tochair would come out on the younger side so enough of this business of Blessington young players being hard done by. I believe that player who had his shoulder knocked out without even getting a free is hardly a pensioner either. That penalty thing obviously had an effect and I have too no idea what happened there. The second incident was a clear cut penalty. This new style of football is all about possession so players with the ball are inviting rather physical attention and referees seem to be pretty lenient with some of the tackling, but this is evident in all grades in adult football. This was no doubt a factor in the number of misdirected passes from each side yesterday. Incidentally, how many wides did each side have for the hour, or in the first half particularly. Like I said earlier, from a neutral perspective, the first half was a washout, but the second half did get interesting."
The referee mad one of the biggest errors seen in a long time. Who was refereeing it? Umpire, linesman or referee?

Monopoly (Wicklow) - Posts: 192 - 05/11/2019 14:57:44    2247930

Link

Replying To Monopoly:  "The referee mad one of the biggest errors seen in a long time. Who was refereeing it? Umpire, linesman or referee?"
Timing of that call was central to the end result. Blessington were far from happy at the end. The confusion around that sequence of events was something I had not seen for a long time in Aughrim.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 41 - 05/11/2019 22:25:43    2248019

Link

Either way the standard of Junior A is at an all time low. Going back through the years to the days of knockout championship the the bigger clubs second teams of were far stronger as a smaller senior panel was required. Nowadays the number of games played just to get out of the group stages means that senior teams use of a large portion of the available players not just 17 or 18, St Pats and Hollywood this year are a good examples at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
The result of that is all the stronger Jun A clubs have won the championship in recent years and are now at intermediate. Kilmac Laragh Kilcoole An Tocher all contributed to a competitive Junior A competition in the past but have now left a very weak competition behind. The group stages were a disaster with walkovers and hammerings, Only Valleymount Blessington and Barndarrig would be of a reasonable standard, and I'm sure Blessington's best young players will be playing senior next year.

That said Senior and Intermediate within the county has improved in the last few years in my opinion.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 06/11/2019 11:45:02    2248091

Link

Replying To Monopoly:  "The referee mad one of the biggest errors seen in a long time. Who was refereeing it? Umpire, linesman or referee?"
A major error on the referees behalf and it ended up being the deciding factor in the game. Who decides who referees the county finals, do the county board just pull the names out of a hat?

hardybuck28 (Wicklow) - Posts: 120 - 06/11/2019 13:55:32    2248114

Link

Replying To hardybuck28:  "A major error on the referees behalf and it ended up being the deciding factor in the game. Who decides who referees the county finals, do the county board just pull the names out of a hat?"
Out of or from behind a cup perhaps?

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 41 - 06/11/2019 18:02:02    2248160

Link

I'd have a feeling Rathnew will get a few boys back, a few boys up from Junior B and walk this championship next year.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 07/11/2019 16:19:58    2248352

Link

Replying To clubfan17:  "I'd have a feeling Rathnew will get a few boys back, a few boys up from Junior B and walk this championship next year."
Possibly. They also have a decent u17 team. Then again, no championship is easily won in any grade. I saw some posts on here a month or two ago saying as how a club had organised themselves to win the Junior C. Going to be a walk in the park. I don't think they even made the semis. Other clubs were fingered for similar practices. None of them won anything. I doubt if the clubs involved had deliberately set out to "fix" their teams. Let's face it, we all love to imagine conspiracy theories, pulling strokes and other underhand practices. It's mostly in our heads, I'm afraid.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 206 - 07/11/2019 19:03:58    2248407

Link

Replying To clubfan17:  "I'd have a feeling Rathnew will get a few boys back, a few boys up from Junior B and walk this championship next year."
Possibly. They also have a decent u17 team. Then again, no championship is easily won in any grade. I saw some posts on here a month or two ago saying as how a club had organised themselves to win the Junior C. Going to be a walk in the park. I don't think they even made the semis. Other clubs were fingered for similar practices. None of them won anything. I doubt if the clubs involved had deliberately set out to "fix" their teams. Let's face it, we all love to imagine conspiracy theories, pulling strokes and other underhand practices. It's mostly in our heads, I'm afraid.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 206 - 07/11/2019 19:04:06    2248408

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Possibly. They also have a decent u17 team. Then again, no championship is easily won in any grade. I saw some posts on here a month or two ago saying as how a club had organised themselves to win the Junior C. Going to be a walk in the park. I don't think they even made the semis. Other clubs were fingered for similar practices. None of them won anything. I doubt if the clubs involved had deliberately set out to "fix" their teams. Let's face it, we all love to imagine conspiracy theories, pulling strokes and other underhand practices. It's mostly in our heads, I'm afraid."
I'm not suggesting they went down deliberately but maybe the truth is somewhere in between... If lads feel the higher team is not doing well and they have a strong chance of winning a championship at the lower grade they will stay put!!
Given the numbers available to Rathnew outside their senior squad they will be hard beaten if they take it seriously. Although there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between intermediate and the rest of the club over the past few years with guys sitting on the bench for the first team but not togging for the inters. That intermediate team (now Junior A) was involved in a lot of unsavory incidents so maybe they are not everyone's cup of tea within the club. Anyway it will be interesting to see how they approach Junior A. I certainly wouldn't bet against them.

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 08/11/2019 11:28:40    2248539

Link

Replying To hardybuck28:  "A major error on the referees behalf and it ended up being the deciding factor in the game. Who decides who referees the county finals, do the county board just pull the names out of a hat?"
Martin Coleman choice.

Monopoly (Wicklow) - Posts: 192 - 08/11/2019 14:04:40    2248573

Link