Wicklow Forum

Wicklow Gaa General

(Oldest Posts First)

in my view there should be more supporters following wicklow in the county scene it is really a joke . in some matches in the leaque there was very little people in the stand. some peolpe who write on the forums on here never go to any matches on here so it is a bit rich running down the management of the teams. wicklow i think are doing ok but need better support . the match the last day was very bad in term or the referee he mad a lot of very bad decision against wicklow it cost wicklow the match . this was not shown on the tv or peolpe at the match seemed to forget about it. the leinster championship connacht championship and munster and ulster should be tryed in the football put them in leaque format. it is working in the hurling

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 152 - 11/06/2019 18:03:34    2193611

Link

Replying To lor12:  "in my view there should be more supporters following wicklow in the county scene it is really a joke . in some matches in the leaque there was very little people in the stand. some peolpe who write on the forums on here never go to any matches on here so it is a bit rich running down the management of the teams. wicklow i think are doing ok but need better support . the match the last day was very bad in term or the referee he mad a lot of very bad decision against wicklow it cost wicklow the match . this was not shown on the tv or peolpe at the match seemed to forget about it. the leinster championship connacht championship and munster and ulster should be tryed in the football put them in leaque format. it is working in the hurling"
Doing ok are you for real if scraping a few wins in the worst division 4 in living memory makes you think we're doing ok I'd hate to think what you consider is poor last year was even worse and our manager telling us things are improving. Look at our scoring average and scores from play its pathetic our goalkeeper is our top score ffs. And by the way I do attend matches I'm sick looking at how we set up and perform no ambition 13 men behind the ball for damage limitation. Thank God for our minors last year and this year who gave us something to cheer about.

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 407 - 12/06/2019 00:11:02    2193763

Link

Well I was at the match and i dont think my memory has faded.
I dont agree with you about teferee we didnt have the ambition to win it and our style of play is not good. 3 points from play might give you a clue.
Agree it would be nice to have more support but look at the 30 odd supporters the hurlers have and they just won the league

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 12/06/2019 01:06:13    2193773

Link

I haven't missed a game all year in any competition. We have not performed well enough and that is a fact but we reached levels in some games that gave me hope. All management teams need the backing of the county board first and foremost and from talking to some players this has not been the case.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 20 - 12/06/2019 22:21:44    2194183

Link

County board give very bad support to u20 players in hurling and football. Maybe they just dont gave the money. How do other countys do it

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 14/06/2019 21:19:14    2195059

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "County board give very bad support to u20 players in hurling and football. Maybe they just dont gave the money. How do other countys do it"
Have it on reasonably good authority that the Co Board organised an u20 hurling selection session for Ballinakill on Sunday week. I believe 8 players turned up. So ... this is not accusing or finger pointing or blaming anybody. Just facts. Make of it what you will.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 14/06/2019 21:39:08    2195069

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Have it on reasonably good authority that the Co Board organised an u20 hurling selection session for Ballinakill on Sunday week. I believe 8 players turned up. So ... this is not accusing or finger pointing or blaming anybody. Just facts. Make of it what you will."
Freethinker would you be in agreement that the timing was ok and sufficient for to start preparation for an intercounty competition? The only reason they were not together earlier was it would cost money to clothe them and feed them and sadly this is why and if you think differently you are on the inside looking out. The junior footballers were thrown together a few days beforehand. Hardly expect anything other than a glorious defeat then.

heavyheart19 (Wicklow) - Posts: 20 - 14/06/2019 22:31:47    2195098

Link

Replying To heavyheart19:  "Freethinker would you be in agreement that the timing was ok and sufficient for to start preparation for an intercounty competition? The only reason they were not together earlier was it would cost money to clothe them and feed them and sadly this is why and if you think differently you are on the inside looking out. The junior footballers were thrown together a few days beforehand. Hardly expect anything other than a glorious defeat then."
Anybody who has read my posts for the last few years would know that I am definitely not an insider. I just put it out there to provoke debate. Personally I think the treatment of junior and u21 in recent years is bordering on disgraceful. Ant remember it's only in recent yrs that the minors are being properly looked after. True, the u21 hurlers had a degree of success in recent yrs. Imagine how they might have gone if properly prepared from juvenile ranks upwards. At the end of the day it's all down to the clubs and who they send as delegates to the county board. The quality of delegate provides the quality of the county board and executive. Personally I would propose a bye law barring anybody over 55 from serving for a few years to see if the cobwebs and blinkered thinking might be swept away. Young energetic people particularly for fundraising as money is vital to bring standards forward. I live in hope.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 15/06/2019 09:38:56    2195164

Link

I wouldn't put a time limit on someone serving on the board or executive as there may be quality people over 55 currently not involved who could do a brillant job given the right environment. There isn't just one problem here; If there was, it would be easier to resolve. There definitely seems to be an issue with funds and an unwillingness to spend money on team preparation from the top, yet when Mick o Dwyer was recruited, money was found. It seems that the county board don't want to generate funds to run the team properly which is surely one of their functions. Secondly there does seem there is an issue with player interest in playing as there is a lot of walkovers at club level; If this is the case then the blame can't be fully apportioned to the board in this regard. I can't understand why the methods being used at minor level which appear to be working well, can't be applied to other teams.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1043 - 15/06/2019 15:29:20    2195269

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "I wouldn't put a time limit on someone serving on the board or executive as there may be quality people over 55 currently not involved who could do a brillant job given the right environment. There isn't just one problem here; If there was, it would be easier to resolve. There definitely seems to be an issue with funds and an unwillingness to spend money on team preparation from the top, yet when Mick o Dwyer was recruited, money was found. It seems that the county board don't want to generate funds to run the team properly which is surely one of their functions. Secondly there does seem there is an issue with player interest in playing as there is a lot of walkovers at club level; If this is the case then the blame can't be fully apportioned to the board in this regard. I can't understand why the methods being used at minor level which appear to be working well, can't be applied to other teams."
When I suggested 55 as a cut off I had in mind those in the running for golden jubilee awards. For me, and I make no apologies for saying this, those who have presided over Wicklow GAA affairs for the last 50 yrs, and possibly more, have nothing to be proud of. They have presided over a stagnant, unrewarding period during which time we have fallen further and further behind other counties. Look at our population. Some of our towns have bigger populations than Leitrim and other counties, yet we are where we are. From time to time we have glittering ceremonies decorating members for long service, congratulating them and ourselves on how great we are and they were - b- - - -s- - t. Good for what or who I ask. Is it true that some might even get more than one retirement function and still retain an " unofficial" position that feck all can be done without asking their advice ?? Probably not. Just a malicious rumour. And, it is regarded as almost sacriligious to question their real contributions to the association during their tenure. But it goes on and on. Musical chairs invariably at convention time. Untill the grass roots stand up at club level and demand more, it will always be this way. Power is with the people yet we prefer to moan, whinge and do anything except change things. I ask all club members three questions. Who are your club delegates ? How long have they served ? Are you happy that you could send more progressive people to the next convention ?? If everyone can be happy with these questions and their answers then there is no point in me or anybody else going off on a rant.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 155 - 15/06/2019 18:52:04    2195346

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "When I suggested 55 as a cut off I had in mind those in the running for golden jubilee awards. For me, and I make no apologies for saying this, those who have presided over Wicklow GAA affairs for the last 50 yrs, and possibly more, have nothing to be proud of. They have presided over a stagnant, unrewarding period during which time we have fallen further and further behind other counties. Look at our population. Some of our towns have bigger populations than Leitrim and other counties, yet we are where we are. From time to time we have glittering ceremonies decorating members for long service, congratulating them and ourselves on how great we are and they were - b- - - -s- - t. Good for what or who I ask. Is it true that some might even get more than one retirement function and still retain an " unofficial" position that feck all can be done without asking their advice ?? Probably not. Just a malicious rumour. And, it is regarded as almost sacriligious to question their real contributions to the association during their tenure. But it goes on and on. Musical chairs invariably at convention time. Untill the grass roots stand up at club level and demand more, it will always be this way. Power is with the people yet we prefer to moan, whinge and do anything except change things. I ask all club members three questions. Who are your club delegates ? How long have they served ? Are you happy that you could send more progressive people to the next convention ?? If everyone can be happy with these questions and their answers then there is no point in me or anybody else going off on a rant."
You are 100 % correct in every you said Wicklow Gaa for the size and population of the country is a national disgrace. If Bray was under the direction of the Dublin Co Board the would have at least two senior teams in both codes capable of winning the Dublin Championship. I've been following Wicklow Gaa for over 50 years and our two biggest catchment areas Bray and Arklow have never won a senior football championship in my living memory .Actually i can't remember either ever contesting a Co Final in Senior Football

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 407 - 15/06/2019 21:24:15    2195463

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "When I suggested 55 as a cut off I had in mind those in the running for golden jubilee awards. For me, and I make no apologies for saying this, those who have presided over Wicklow GAA affairs for the last 50 yrs, and possibly more, have nothing to be proud of. They have presided over a stagnant, unrewarding period during which time we have fallen further and further behind other counties. Look at our population. Some of our towns have bigger populations than Leitrim and other counties, yet we are where we are. From time to time we have glittering ceremonies decorating members for long service, congratulating them and ourselves on how great we are and they were - b- - - -s- - t. Good for what or who I ask. Is it true that some might even get more than one retirement function and still retain an " unofficial" position that feck all can be done without asking their advice ?? Probably not. Just a malicious rumour. And, it is regarded as almost sacriligious to question their real contributions to the association during their tenure. But it goes on and on. Musical chairs invariably at convention time. Untill the grass roots stand up at club level and demand more, it will always be this way. Power is with the people yet we prefer to moan, whinge and do anything except change things. I ask all club members three questions. Who are your club delegates ? How long have they served ? Are you happy that you could send more progressive people to the next convention ?? If everyone can be happy with these questions and their answers then there is no point in me or anybody else going off on a rant."
Freethinker, I agree with a lot of what you say. If what you say is correct and I don't have any reason to doubt it; it is crazy. You are right, we have a big population, more people than Mayo which makes our lack of success over the history of the GAA abysmal and certainly not something to be celebrated. It is hard to see how anything will change as the whole setup seems toxic. It would be hard to get new talent on board and just as hard to get the establishment out. The only way may be to get a motion passed at county convention limiting the number of terms people can serve but I can't see that happening.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1043 - 15/06/2019 21:31:34    2195478

Link

You are right about the status quo. Look at the people who came onto the county board in the last 10 years who came dpne a short time and are gone. Good people who will tell you the reality of power and who pulls the strings. I wont name names but i have been told by some of these good people what actually goes on.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 16/06/2019 16:30:53    2195818

Link

It is a shame what has and is going on as we proved during Mick o dwyer time that we can produce players and get results despite obstacles being put in the way, can you imagine how we would do if everyone pulled in the one direction. People interested in getting things done won't stay in an environment where things are stagnating and the required change needed never materialises.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1043 - 16/06/2019 17:37:08    2195858

Link

Many good people who put there hand up and wanted to bring change for the best. Where are they now? They could not stand the situation and left . We need to get these people back if they will come
We will never prosper unless we get rid of the secret behind the scene deals

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 233 - 16/06/2019 23:15:23    2196139

Link