Westmeath Forum

Club managers 2017

(Oldest Posts First)

Anyone any ideas on favourites for senior intermediate championship since new managers confirmed ? Lomans the obvious choice for senior , intermediate wide open unless malachys decide they want it, Eamon Gallagher over 2 teams will this work? Good to see new trainers on the scene

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 99 - 14/12/2016 21:23:34    1940193

Link

John Donnelan is over Shamrocks if he can repeat his heroics with Castledaly in 2015 they will be my favourites especially with Lomans going for 3 in a row . The way the groups work you've Lomans,Tpass,Shamrocks,Athlone,Kilucan and Garrycastle in one group top two advance straight to semis two mullingar teams I think and tpass and kilucan will take the two quarters but tpass capable of winning group too Connelan is a massive loss for athlone. Other group is Castledaly,The Downs,Kgead,Maryland,Rosemount and Caulry.
IMO Castledaly and The Downs will fight for top but both should take the 2 quarter final spots going,Rosemount might push too but you never know with a team coming straight up. Caulry will do enough to be safe but won't upset too much Maryland to drop. Early days but that's my opinion on how I see things going
Flanagan cup will stay in mullingar next year question is where

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 14/12/2016 23:19:27    1940220

Link

Well firstly on point one Gallagher on Malachys/castletown joint manager i think this could go either way. I know the players want it and convinced the both clubs to come together and try and get one manager. They chased Peter Leahy hard to take it but didnt get anywhere and Eamon Gallagher was the obvious choice after that as he has managed at senior level in both codes. I think its a hard one and the jury out on it as they have the talent and they won both championhsips the last time they were senior hurlignn adn intermediate football so they have every chance.
On Shamrocks i am dissapointed they didnt stick with Eddie Casey a he a good guy and he has shamrocks at heart. But they have a good manager and we will see how it goes.
Lomans are still the ones to beat but i think they need to develop there game plan and not rely on talent alone. Luke Dempsey is the best manager in the county without a doubt but i think he needs a new trainer down there that will train a different game plan. Tyrellspass are still my second team with a crazy outside tip of The Downs if they get a quality trainer or manager in a they have the young talent.
Intemediate is down to Malachys to loose. they are best team in it and as long as they dont concentrate on just hurling they will win the football. Next best is Milltownpass but with a funny appointment of a manager who got relegate with Malachys i dont know if they have the ambition to get oer the line. SHandonagh if they get everything right also have a shance.
Are all the Managers roles taken yet as i havent heard who has either Maryland, Castledaly or the Downs

Djkray (Dublin) - Posts: 152 - 15/12/2016 01:55:20    1940226

Link

Replying To iarmhi919:  "John Donnelan is over Shamrocks if he can repeat his heroics with Castledaly in 2015 they will be my favourites especially with Lomans going for 3 in a row . The way the groups work you've Lomans,Tpass,Shamrocks,Athlone,Kilucan and Garrycastle in one group top two advance straight to semis two mullingar teams I think and tpass and kilucan will take the two quarters but tpass capable of winning group too Connelan is a massive loss for athlone. Other group is Castledaly,The Downs,Kgead,Maryland,Rosemount and Caulry.
IMO Castledaly and The Downs will fight for top but both should take the 2 quarter final spots going,Rosemount might push too but you never know with a team coming straight up. Caulry will do enough to be safe but won't upset too much Maryland to drop. Early days but that's my opinion on how I see things going
Flanagan cup will stay in mullingar next year question is where"
John Donellan has a tough job on his hands with shamrocks,they are just not the side they once were.Senior will be Lomans ,Tyrellspass for semi's
shamrocks might make quarters,a toss up between the rest to go to the other division,don't expect killucan to be as strong next year,athlone won't win a game,garrycastle could struggle

Other side:between rosemount,the downs and caulry,
maryland ,kinnegad to face relegation playoff,maryland will go down
Castledaly will just stay safe

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 15/12/2016 09:23:06    1940240

Link

I feel big competition in intermediate but don't see malachys being anywhere near, I'd be tipping milltownpass or Shandonagh both seem very exciting but anybody could beat anybody!

Magicmick87 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1 - 15/12/2016 16:25:48    1940381

Link

Replying To Djkray:  "Well firstly on point one Gallagher on Malachys/castletown joint manager i think this could go either way. I know the players want it and convinced the both clubs to come together and try and get one manager. They chased Peter Leahy hard to take it but didnt get anywhere and Eamon Gallagher was the obvious choice after that as he has managed at senior level in both codes. I think its a hard one and the jury out on it as they have the talent and they won both championhsips the last time they were senior hurlignn adn intermediate football so they have every chance.
On Shamrocks i am dissapointed they didnt stick with Eddie Casey a he a good guy and he has shamrocks at heart. But they have a good manager and we will see how it goes.
Lomans are still the ones to beat but i think they need to develop there game plan and not rely on talent alone. Luke Dempsey is the best manager in the county without a doubt but i think he needs a new trainer down there that will train a different game plan. Tyrellspass are still my second team with a crazy outside tip of The Downs if they get a quality trainer or manager in a they have the young talent.
Intemediate is down to Malachys to loose. they are best team in it and as long as they dont concentrate on just hurling they will win the football. Next best is Milltownpass but with a funny appointment of a manager who got relegate with Malachys i dont know if they have the ambition to get oer the line. SHandonagh if they get everything right also have a shance.
Are all the Managers roles taken yet as i havent heard who has either Maryland, Castledaly or the Downs"
Reply to Djkray; I think youre right re intermediate , it's Malachys to lose , I disagree Milltownpass next best Shandonagh beat them this year , what about Rochfortbridge a team now playing in div1

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 99 - 16/12/2016 17:22:25    1940580

Link