UK Forum

Walkovers

(Oldest Posts First)

The county board are really going to have to address the number of walkovers and structure of competitions as there are a number of issues apparent.

Taking the league as an example, every division has had at least one walkover. Division three is a complete joke as it looks like more than half of the fixtures were walkovers. This isn't even taking the cups into consideration, shame as I know there are a few teams that take it seriously. This would not happen in any other county.

Surely doing away with one of the cups would improve things?

Playing games into November is not good for anyone and will only result in more walkovers. It's not as if the county team held up things that much!

Entire overhaul needed ASAP.

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 78 - 14/10/2016 13:01:12    1926215

Link

Replying To Cilldara2012:  "The county board are really going to have to address the number of walkovers and structure of competitions as there are a number of issues apparent.

Taking the league as an example, every division has had at least one walkover. Division three is a complete joke as it looks like more than half of the fixtures were walkovers. This isn't even taking the cups into consideration, shame as I know there are a few teams that take it seriously. This would not happen in any other county.

Surely doing away with one of the cups would improve things?

Playing games into November is not good for anyone and will only result in more walkovers. It's not as if the county team held up things that much!

Entire overhaul needed ASAP."
I don't think the timeline of how fixtures pan out help teams : I wonder how many league games are walkovers after the championships have gone passed their group stages. Think it might be more productive to push back the championships slightly to get most of the league games played before that stage.

WideBall1 (UK) - Posts: 96 - 14/10/2016 15:23:58    1926277

Link

Will also say that not have pre-defined days for games does not help : Knowing you have a game on a weekend without any date or time means you have to keep the whole weekend free which isn't practical for a lot of people.

WideBall1 (UK) - Posts: 96 - 14/10/2016 15:25:21    1926278

Link

Not easy at the moment.A lot of players going home and not as many coming over.Even the top clubs such as TCG,Parnells,KKG working off panels of 19-20 players for the season.Maybe some the cups should be 13 a side and played without County players to condense the season a bit and possibly more mid week games.
Unfortunately some of the smaller clubs are in big trouble numbers wise and it would not be any great surprise to see some of them fold in the next year or two.
Bringing through underage talent will be critical in the next few years to supplement teams and the clubs that are doing that will be much stronger for that in years to come.

gohome (USA) - Posts: 18 - 14/10/2016 18:09:10    1926322

Link

I heard the CB called a meeting on the topic, does anyone know if any proposals have been put forward?

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 78 - 31/10/2016 12:40:46    1930383

Link

Heard from a few that St Declans were due to play Thomas McCurtains in a McCullogh cup semi final 3 weeks ago but couldn't field, McCurtains agreed to play the game on the 30th but no fixture came out, the 2nd semi final between Pearses and Murphys is on next weekend coming and belive it or not no fixture between Decans and McCurtains. Bit of a disgrace by London when two teams were willing to fulfil this fixture which could of been played the same weekend as the other semi final instead the ccc gave a walkover to Mcurtians. So much for trying to promote the game when they cant agree with 2 teams willing to keep lads hurling. Time for a change in that County Board..

tdawg90 (Galway) - Posts: 60 - 01/11/2016 11:11:17    1930596

Link

I see brothers pearse gave a walkover to fr Murphy's last weekend the interest must have faded after losing the county final.
Thomas Mcurtains and Fr Murphy's hurling this weekend in the Mcullough Cup final in Greenford, could be a fairly decent game considering there hasn't been much between them at all this year

LetItIn6 (Wexford) - Posts: 6 - 09/11/2016 12:42:08    1932988

Link

Worse again KKG gave a walkover to St. Joes.Did that relegate Parnells?

gohome (USA) - Posts: 18 - 09/11/2016 14:06:47    1933026

Link