UK Forum

London Club Fixtures

(Oldest Posts First)

Anyone else find the club fixtures this year to be disorganised and disjointed? Last years fixtures were immaculate and the season was run off without a glitch.

However already this year the master fixture plan is already up the left. Our club has played 3 games in two months (April & May) only to have 5 games crammed in the last 2 weeks.

I understand that the county fixtures may have caused some disruption but now that both teams are out this should be easily rectified and the games spaced out more appropriately.

However my main concern is that lads are only being notified of the time, date and venue of club games a week in advance. This is totally unacceptable for lads to try and organise a work schedule if you don't know know where the game will be played and what day the game will be on - especially if you have two games a week which we have had the last while.

Hopefully the powers that be will take into consideration that cramming in two fixtures a week is unsustainable to participation, particularly for the smaller clubs who are struggling to get 15 players out most weeks.

SouthLDN_Spud_Murphy (UK) - Posts: 1 - 13/06/2018 15:56:38    2111119

Link

Replying To SouthLDN_Spud_Murphy:  "Anyone else find the club fixtures this year to be disorganised and disjointed? Last years fixtures were immaculate and the season was run off without a glitch.

However already this year the master fixture plan is already up the left. Our club has played 3 games in two months (April & May) only to have 5 games crammed in the last 2 weeks.

I understand that the county fixtures may have caused some disruption but now that both teams are out this should be easily rectified and the games spaced out more appropriately.

However my main concern is that lads are only being notified of the time, date and venue of club games a week in advance. This is totally unacceptable for lads to try and organise a work schedule if you don't know know where the game will be played and what day the game will be on - especially if you have two games a week which we have had the last while.

Hopefully the powers that be will take into consideration that cramming in two fixtures a week is unsustainable to participation, particularly for the smaller clubs who are struggling to get 15 players out most weeks."
Found this season frustrating so far. Games are fixed are too late notice which is annoying with lads obviously wanting to book flights for trips home or do things with their family.

The county site is in a joke of a state. Master fixture plan for two years ago is still up there! Results for this year aren't on there! True enough we're all doing this in our spare time but come on, updating the website with the fixtures and results isn't a big job.

League wise I've got no idea the format. We've been told there are quarter finals this year, not sure how that works with the three league structure there is here.

Seems we have taken a real backward step.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 17/06/2018 19:03:56    2112357

Link

Replying To WestAwake88:  "Found this season frustrating so far. Games are fixed are too late notice which is annoying with lads obviously wanting to book flights for trips home or do things with their family.

The county site is in a joke of a state. Master fixture plan for two years ago is still up there! Results for this year aren't on there! True enough we're all doing this in our spare time but come on, updating the website with the fixtures and results isn't a big job.

League wise I've got no idea the format. We've been told there are quarter finals this year, not sure how that works with the three league structure there is here.

Seems we have taken a real backward step."
Echo those sentiments WestAwake, been playing ball over here for 11 years and whilst progress was made for a few years we're heading back to the dark ages again. Even updates on social media aren't what they were a couple of years ago.

I hope all championship games are played at Ruislip wherever possible. I get people want to protect the pitch but the clubs put a lot of effort into redeveloping Ruislip and lads deserve their day out especially after playing on sub-standard pitches and facilities throughout the year.

Anchorman_6 (Cavan) - Posts: 16 - 18/06/2018 12:49:46    2112612

Link

Agree with all above, recent years has seen a vast improvement improvement but has faltered this year,
Updated league tables are important and fixtures in advance,, not that hard a thing to do really. Also what format is league,, top 2 go into final,,?? top 2 promoted from div 2&3..

Jimmycricket (Meath) - Posts: 58 - 18/06/2018 13:52:00    2112649

Link

Anyone heard what's going on with the club scene this year?

Any changes to the football or hurling championships? Fixture plan etc?

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 05/02/2019 13:47:16    2162744

Link

Great to see both St Kiernans & Parnells fielding "Home Grown" teams in the Junior scene in London following the footsteps of TCG. This is the best of way keeping boys in the game and hopefully other teams with similar resources can follow suit and truly grow the game in London. I am fairly sure the Butlers, Gavaghan & Ryan Elliot all played for TCG Juniors at some point & are now representing the county team well.

Hopefully these additions should bring some stability to Junior football as well, there have been a number of one sided games over the past few years featuring some clubs which are no longer fielding which is no good for anyone.

Anchorman_6 (Cavan) - Posts: 16 - 26/03/2019 09:29:51    2175477

Link

Replying To Anchorman_6:  "Great to see both St Kiernans & Parnells fielding "Home Grown" teams in the Junior scene in London following the footsteps of TCG. This is the best of way keeping boys in the game and hopefully other teams with similar resources can follow suit and truly grow the game in London. I am fairly sure the Butlers, Gavaghan & Ryan Elliot all played for TCG Juniors at some point & are now representing the county team well.

Hopefully these additions should bring some stability to Junior football as well, there have been a number of one sided games over the past few years featuring some clubs which are no longer fielding which is no good for anyone."
Agree with that. Some talented lads in the current TCG Juniors/Intermediates as well now making the step up (Kearney, Mills, McGarvey etc). Be interesting to track Kiernans and Parnells Juniors progress the next couple of years.

Any reason why Kiernans Juniors and Naomh Padraig are not in the early season competitions?

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 26/03/2019 10:58:34    2175495

Link

the usual few early season walkovers been given, few clubs look to be struggling this year. Any word on the Garryowen situation, rumours that they are not fielding this year? If so very sad to hear about a historic London club.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1685 - 08/04/2019 12:12:37    2178032

Link

Be sad to see Garryowen go.Lots of clubs under pressure this year,even at senior level ,some clubs under big pressure for players.

ifindoubt (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 08/04/2019 14:17:49    2178057

Link

Certainly been a difficult start to the season.

One week all senior games with walkovers. Noticed a few in intermediate and there's been several in Junior. Even St Anthony's and Wandsworth were forced into playing 13 a side at the weekend.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 09/04/2019 11:38:42    2178185

Link

Replying To Rosineri1:  "the usual few early season walkovers been given, few clubs look to be struggling this year. Any word on the Garryowen situation, rumours that they are not fielding this year? If so very sad to hear about a historic London club."
The County Board needs to fixture cup matches in mid week in the month of May and June to act as a preparation for the league and championship.

As a member of Garryowen i would like to state we are not a club that is fading away!!

As players are now hard to come by and when you do obtain players, most players have ruby and football commitments this time of the year as their season are coming to a close and such its their business end of the year where all have been committed all winter.

The county board needs to look into early season cup games not clashing with sports such as the above to ensure walk overs do not occur to honour who the cup match represent i.e Murphy cup or Conway Cup etc

I am sure many clubs will voice this opinion

Garryowen Abu

MCDON88 (UK) - Posts: 3 - 10/04/2019 14:00:08    2178363

Link

Replying To Rosineri1:  "the usual few early season walkovers been given, few clubs look to be struggling this year. Any word on the Garryowen situation, rumours that they are not fielding this year? If so very sad to hear about a historic London club."
The County Board needs to fixture cup matches in mid week in the month of May and June to act as a preparation for the league and championship.

As a member of Garryowen i would like to state we are not a club that is fading away!!

As players are now hard to come by and when you do obtain players, most players have ruby and football commitments this time of the year as their season are coming to a close and such its their business end of the year where all have been committed all winter.

The county board needs to look into early season cup games not clashing with sports such as the above to ensure walk overs do not occur to honour who the cup match represent i.e Murphy cup or Conway Cup etc

Garryowen Abu

MCDON88 (UK) - Posts: 3 - 10/04/2019 14:02:55    2178364

Link

Garryowen Abu

MCDON88 (UK) - Posts: 3 - 10/04/2019 14:03:09    2178365

Link

I'm delighted to hear Garryowen aren't gone. The more clubs the better for London GAA as a whole, but your suggestion of midweek games at this time of year is not feasible.

Up until two weeks ago it was dark at half 6 and at the moment you would be hard pressed to play past half 7 without floodlights. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any pitches in London with floodlights that you can play a match on.

Even if you do push them to May, travelling distances/times for clubs from South or East London like CuChulainns, McCurtains, Dulwich & Towers, not to mention St Anthony's in Reading of which some players don't work anywhere near London are an hour plus at the best of times (try two hours in traffic) and you'll see why mid week games have hardly ever worked even in the height of summer as they never start on time.

Pushing these games to May/June would mean a condensed calendar meaning teams playing 2 games a week which is not the best for player welfare.

London_Royal (UK) - Posts: 8 - 11/04/2019 10:57:47    2178437

Link

Looks like there's a bit of a break now over Easter and then league (Div 2 and 3) are scheduled to start at the end of the month. Hopefully we won't see the same level of walkovers. Constant struggle at the moment getting lads available for training and games.

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 16/04/2019 13:14:38    2179119

Link

So fixtures seem to be picking up steam with the league and other cups.

Who do people think we should be looking out for this season across the grades?

WestAwake88 (Galway) - Posts: 23 - 15/05/2019 15:54:51    2184340

Link

Hard to make predictions the way this season has panned out but i'd at the minute its probably between:
Senior: TCG or Fulham
Intermediate: Tommy Macs, Brendans or Joes
Junior: Dulwich

Anchorman_6 (Cavan) - Posts: 16 - 16/05/2019 13:19:30    2184583

Link