Tyrone Forum

The Year ahead

(Oldest Posts First)

Not long to go until the beginning of the league now.

Are we all in agreement that will will have a good league and wont be beaten in Ulster for the foreseeable future?
What do you think?

ulster83 (Tyrone) - Posts: 114 - 24/01/2017 10:43:29    1948352

Link

With regards to the league there are some things in Tyrone's favour. These include 4 home games, the fact Mickey takes the league seriously and the possibility that Dublin, Kerry and Mayo may not be up to full speed at the start. The Ulster Championship as usual is a big ask. The last time I heard people saying Tyrone would dominate Ulster for quite a while was at the start of 2002 season when Armagh put us out in the first round. Derry away could be anything but if Tyrone win Ulster then they will have had three tough games which should bring them on for the later rounds of the All-Ireland. Tyrone's position at the moment is probably the best of the rest after Dublin, Kerry and Mayo.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1588 - 24/01/2017 12:18:56    1948377

Link

Would have to agree with most of your last statement however I think we are on a par with Mayo
I think we have to be more realistic about were we are I have seen nothing this year yet and I no it is early to make me think we are any better than last year.
the main points I can see are -
We are still playing the same old style of defence and offering little to attack,
Also we need a settled forward unit from at least 10 to 15 should all be very conformable and reliable taking scores,
Then we have the biggest problem of the lot a free taker/ star forward who is more than capable of scoring 6/7 points per game
Until things like this are sorted out we might be good enough to win Ulster and little more

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 157 - 25/01/2017 13:40:06    1948699

Link

I see tyrone as potential all ireland winners - the following team could provide just whats required!

1Morgan
2McCarron
3McNamee
4McCrory
5Brennan
6McMahon
7McCann
8Cavanagh
9Donnelly
10Harte
11Sludden
12Bradley
13McCurry
14Cavanagh
15O'Neill

McShane and McNabb would also be close to this 15 imo. Id be interested to hear yer opinions on the above selection.
Always been a keen follower and supporter of tyrone football.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1796 - 14/02/2017 14:06:44    1956660

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "I see tyrone as potential all ireland winners - the following team could provide just whats required!

1Morgan
2McCarron
3McNamee
4McCrory
5Brennan
6McMahon
7McCann
8Cavanagh
9Donnelly
10Harte
11Sludden
12Bradley
13McCurry
14Cavanagh
15O'Neill

McShane and McNabb would also be close to this 15 imo. Id be interested to hear yer opinions on the above selection.
Always been a keen follower and supporter of tyrone football."
For a hurling expert you sure have a good knowledge of Tyrone football.

Agree with most of your selection, i would just make two changes and swap Brennan for McNabb and Mickey O'Neill in for Niall Morgan. McNabb offers more pace and power running forward from half back i believe.

Also be interesting to maybe move McNamee to corner back, move McMahon to full back and have Brennan in instead of McCrory at CHB. Would leave us with a very strong full back line both defensively and offers more going forward.

1. O'Neill
2. McCarron
3. McMahon
4. McNamee
5. McNabb
6. Brennan
7. McCann
8. Cavanagh
9. Donnelly
10. Harte
11. Sludden
12. Bradley
13. McCurry
14. Cavanagh
15. O'Neill

Just a thought.

TakeyourPoint. (Tyrone) - Posts: 114 - 16/02/2017 14:35:37    1957447

Link

New forwards needed
Surely there are some other forwards in Tyrone who can learn quickly how to take scores at the highest level?

cjx (Tyrone) - Posts: 270 - 18/02/2017 00:18:38    1957853

Link

Replying To TakeyourPoint.:  "For a hurling expert you sure have a good knowledge of Tyrone football.

Agree with most of your selection, i would just make two changes and swap Brennan for McNabb and Mickey O'Neill in for Niall Morgan. McNabb offers more pace and power running forward from half back i believe.

Also be interesting to maybe move McNamee to corner back, move McMahon to full back and have Brennan in instead of McCrory at CHB. Would leave us with a very strong full back line both defensively and offers more going forward.

1. O'Neill
2. McCarron
3. McMahon
4. McNamee
5. McNabb
6. Brennan
7. McCann
8. Cavanagh
9. Donnelly
10. Harte
11. Sludden
12. Bradley
13. McCurry
14. Cavanagh
15. O'Neill

Just a thought."
As an outsider I would agree with no McCrory and depending on JMcM fitness then Hampsey would logically fit in. O'Neill and McCurry would really need to step up but how many chances do they need - the big games they don't want to know - point in case last game against Dubs - McCurry clearly didn't get stuck in. I would have big McNulty in starting 15 possibly midfield but more likely drop him in square as big target man to win ball. Lee Brennan needs to be thereabouts as well.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1084 - 21/02/2017 10:12:02    1959028

Link