Tyrone Forum

All Ireland Quarter Final.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To IrishGael3:  "Proper post and I agree and sympathise with the Tyrone team and fans. However I've said this before if you don't have a free taker you will ultimately lose these tight games against good teams. Also your 2 corner forwards are not clinical and clearly not good enough. I would have stuck big McNulty into FF and varied your attack. I do believe Tyrone were better footballing team but need to find a Stevie O, Canavan, Mulliagan - real men for the big stage. I fear that All Ireland will be a procession now to the inevitable Dub victory without Tyrone."
The Mc Nulty idea sounds good.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4197 - 07/08/2016 02:04:55    1897095

Link

As ye lick those wounds this morning promise to look at recoded lowlights of the demise and ask are you happy to see close ups of your county's sporting ambassadors sneering at and sledging their opponents I won't name the culprits from yesterday but it was from some of your mentors that I first heard the term 'GET IN THEIR FACES' . Mayo provided the mirror this time and returned like for like you came off 2nd best and it was a pity that it was Sean Cavanagh that paid the price it is along road back to Sean and his legs are beginning to wobble . Maybe if you concentrate on Gaelic Football and leave the unsporting stuff behind you may make it back in a few years

37sowhat (Sligo) - Posts: 752 - 07/08/2016 06:35:53    1897122

Link

Replying To mako:  "Tyrone were so close today but a lack of real scoring power letting them down, In games where the opposition play a defensive game, then it is obvious that forwards in the full forward line are not going to get many opportunities. With that in mind, the winning of the game comes down to which team has the players who can play the running game and be a scoring threat. This is were Tyrone are weak. Only Mattie Donnelly & Petey Harte have that ability along with big Sean when he plays out the field. Tiernan McCann will run up & down the field all day and link up the play surely but is no scoring threat. Same with Cathal McCarron & Aidan McCrory. The modern game demands that teams have this capability. I am not convinced either that Cathal McShane provides that scoring threat. Ronan O'Neill appears to totally lack the pace & sharpness to operate in a crowded full forward line. The continued use of the tactic of using Morgan for long range frees also needs to be looked at. What is his success rate at these?"
Agree with everything you said. Mccann, mc Carron etc are all great links but do not pose a scoring threat. I am not convinced that Cathal McShane is up to it having seen him in a few important games this year. Mcnulty should have been on far earlier and not sure why conor is starting before him.

Please stop with Morgan talking frees it's not right when he clearly doesn't enjoy the pressure. In big games our ff line are too easily marked out of it. Oneill,mulligan etc were always tightly marked but found a way.

Nothing will change over the next few years unless we address our scoring threat and find a reliable free taker. Still can't belive it's being allowed to go on for so long. Surely there must be a few players in tyrone that can take frees?

kevin03 (Tyrone) - Posts: 227 - 07/08/2016 08:49:06    1897138

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "As ye lick those wounds this morning promise to look at recoded lowlights of the demise and ask are you happy to see close ups of your county's sporting ambassadors sneering at and sledging their opponents I won't name the culprits from yesterday but it was from some of your mentors that I first heard the term 'GET IN THEIR FACES' . Mayo provided the mirror this time and returned like for like you came off 2nd best and it was a pity that it was Sean Cavanagh that paid the price it is along road back to Sean and his legs are beginning to wobble . Maybe if you concentrate on Gaelic Football and leave the unsporting stuff behind you may make it back in a few years"
Wise up. While I am not a fan of getting in your face attitude every big team is doing it. Dublin, kerry, Donegal even mayo. To single out tyrone shows either how little your know or how biased you are.

kevin03 (Tyrone) - Posts: 227 - 07/08/2016 08:53:05    1897139

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "
Replying To IrvinestownMkII:  "THE DEMISE OF TYRONE SENIOR COUNTY TEAM... I just received a text from back home in Ireland to say that Mayo beat Tyrone by 13 points to 12 in the quarter final of the All Ireland football championship. A bit shocked but not surprised as Tyrone were lucky to win the Ulster c'hip from what I hear. Fair play to Mayo who had to redouble their efforts after their provincial lost and come through the back door and weren't rested like Tyrone for 3 weeks. I assume the Tyrone supporters realise now that their new team are not yet ready to play with the big boys in the All Irelands' and it will take another few years , if at all, to make their way to an All Ireland final! Anyhow, a massive congratulations to Mayo!"
What a sad and pathetic post. It's our only loss this year. We picked up silverware on 3 occasions and put ourselves back in div1 where we should be and which will stand to us come championship time next year. We are ulster champs again and you've not even been Ulster champs ever you sad fool. When we celebrate getting a hammering in Croker like yuz did with the Dubs then I'll be concerned. Move on now you serious dose of skitter."
Yes Seanie that was well put! However, back to the game itself I felt we lost mental, physical and fitness battle against Mayo. I'm not sure how the players could have handled the situation better but I would question why Mickey made so many player changes as it did not to pay off. Maybe, our revamped team aren't just ready yet for the big stage?

Up4it. (Tyrone) - Posts: 188 - 07/08/2016 11:21:37    1897222

Link

Congratulations to Mayo and good luck for the rest of the year. The game could have gone either way but that said Tyrone did defeat Mayo by one point in 2008 and look what happened then. Its been a very good year for Tyrone with promotion and an Ulster Championship but we certainly need a good free taker and sharper forwards to make further progress but all in all plenty to build on.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1608 - 07/08/2016 12:15:05    1897266

Link

If you had a free-taker you would have won and as well in-experience of your forwards cost you the game with the clear-cut goal chance driven straight at keeper. Two excellent chances at the end wasted when in fact the ball could easily have been moved to a better position. No doubt ye will be back next year and ignore the be-grudgers.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2068 - 07/08/2016 12:18:57    1897267

Link

A big scoring full forward ( beside Sean Cavanagh I hope) a long range free taker some more freedom of expression and another year then anything is possible.
Still it's hard to take the Crossmaglen tutored cynicism in that beating

cjx (Tyrone) - Posts: 270 - 07/08/2016 22:57:58    1897725

Link

Hard luck to Tyrone. I felt we deserved it in the end but but but...if ye had an accurate forward on the field for the final 10mins it could have been very different. You would still imagine Tyrone will keep coming back after the u-21 win last year.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9902 - 08/08/2016 12:41:13    1897984

Link

Replying To 37sowhat:  "As ye lick those wounds this morning promise to look at recoded lowlights of the demise and ask are you happy to see close ups of your county's sporting ambassadors sneering at and sledging their opponents I won't name the culprits from yesterday but it was from some of your mentors that I first heard the term 'GET IN THEIR FACES' . Mayo provided the mirror this time and returned like for like you came off 2nd best and it was a pity that it was Sean Cavanagh that paid the price it is along road back to Sean and his legs are beginning to wobble . Maybe if you concentrate on Gaelic Football and leave the unsporting stuff behind you may make it back in a few years"
Can someone translate please?

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1084 - 08/08/2016 23:34:12    1898487

Link

Replying To WestRules:  "
Replying To IrishGael3:  "[quote=IrvinestownMkII:  "THE DEMISE OF TYRONE SENIOR COUNTY TEAM... I just received a text from back home in Ireland to say that Mayo beat Tyrone by 13 points to 12 in the quarter final of the All Ireland football championship. A bit shocked but not surprised as Tyrone were lucky to win the Ulster c'hip from what I hear. Fair play to Mayo who had to redouble their efforts after their provincial lost and come through the back door and weren't rested like Tyrone for 3 weeks. I assume the Tyrone supporters realise now that their new team are not yet ready to play with the big boys in the All Irelands' and it will take another few years , if at all, to make their way to an All Ireland final! Anyhow, a massive congratulations to Mayo!"
Are you the guy who also posted on this forum a similar post a few months ago that had NO class and you were wrong? Get back in your little box you are embarrassing yourself and are not a proper Gael - severe lack of class and I'm not even a Tyrone man."
I yankee GAA man, I think that the original poster probably summed up the situation well and today's effort looked bad as it was only their first hurdle in these championships. Other than adding more to the comment I would just say maybe a new manager with fresh ideas and a bit of space, say 2 years, and then Tyrone might have a team capable of progressing beyond a quarterfinal."]Westrules you have no idea what you're talking about - I referenced this guy doing a similar post a few months ago about a Tyrone defeat in the McKenna Cup with equal ecstasy but his information was totally wrong. As a Galway man I wouldn't be jumping on Tyrone forums ridiculing Tyrone team and fans - you guys got embarrassed by a hurling county - I hope you get the irony in that comment - after you look irony in Wikipedia that is.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1084 - 08/08/2016 23:42:31    1898490

Link

A Sligo fella.....lol!

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4197 - 10/08/2016 01:43:04    1899198

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "A Sligo fella.....lol!"
Tyrone left that one behind them, Mayo were there for the taking in the last 15 minutes
They are the defeats when you know you could have won it

Scarabin (Dublin) - Posts: 116 - 11/08/2016 17:22:42    1900011

Link

I think Tyrone have failed to address the full foward line , they lack real quality or ball winners in this area . Tyrone were forced to play in front or through Mayo and thats not always possible . Mattie Donnelly kicked one ball into the full foward line and tyrone should have a got a goal from it . Maybe young McNulty next year can give Tyrone the physical presence in the full foward line ..
At least you have the Ulster title, to be honest as Donegal man we would love to have it .
Also a great bit of class on your part with regard to the lovely message you posted on Colm Mcfaddens retirement .
Until we cross swords again Ulster abu

red.hugh (Donegal) - Posts: 156 - 12/08/2016 12:05:50    1900245

Link

Replying To red.hugh:  "I think Tyrone have failed to address the full foward line , they lack real quality or ball winners in this area . Tyrone were forced to play in front or through Mayo and thats not always possible . Mattie Donnelly kicked one ball into the full foward line and tyrone should have a got a goal from it . Maybe young McNulty next year can give Tyrone the physical presence in the full foward line ..
At least you have the Ulster title, to be honest as Donegal man we would love to have it .
Also a great bit of class on your part with regard to the lovely message you posted on Colm Mcfaddens retirement .
Until we cross swords again Ulster abu"
Good post Tyrone need to address FF line and get a free taker and if they do they will be a serious force. Lee Brennan and big McNulty in FF line would be a good start.

Also classy comments with respect to McFadden.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1084 - 19/08/2016 10:30:59    1903106

Link