Tyrone Forum

A Good Year

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

weve turned into arsenal celebrating a fourth place finish winning a match in croke park was the only big plus. we still havent a forward kind and as regards gameplan and fitness were further back than ever. and who made us fourth ranked we havent moved a dot in my book cork kerry mayo dublin and donegal have all better teams than us its no 1 we want to be not 6-8 we have gone backwards in the last 5 years and beating monaghan who havent beat us in 25 years hardly represents progress.

weebox (Tyrone) - Posts: 272 - 26/08/2013 21:25:32    1468918

Link

What we need to realise is that we cant just say that we should be winning AIs every year, what gives us the right to be that arrogant?
We need to be a lot more gracious and thankful for what we have achieved....lot of people getting carried away on the back of the last 10 years. Reaching an AI semi final and a League final is a good year in anyone's book.
Yes it's only proper that we aspire to being AI champions each year but if that doesnt happen then we need to look at the positives and start building for the next year. If you look around the villages and towns before this semi final there was very little bunting or flags...the atmosphere was subdued...the supporters havent got the same hunger as they had 10 years ago and that feeds into the team.
I commented on Colm Cavanagh putting in a good performance for Tyrone last Sunday...didnt take long before people were promoting players from their own clubs as better alternatives...that's part of the problem in Tyrone - not enough people being subjective, they can only see things from their own point of view. No place for personal agendas in Gaelic IMO.

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 27/08/2013 09:26:45    1469020

Link

Well done to Tyrone on a fantastic and successful year. McKenna Cup medals will be presented at the County Dinner in December on a night of celebration to round off a superb year. Ticket selling fast, so don't miss out.

martinprince (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 27/08/2013 09:47:48    1469033

Link

Yes agree with pastthepost. Too many entitled tyrone fans running around the last few years running their mouthes off sayin we shud do this or that, or that so and so or mickey harte isnt good enough. Before 2003 we'd reached a handful of semi finals and won nothing, now that we'v had ten sucessful years everyone thinks we're supposed to win the AI every year, catch yourselves on lads and be happy with the progress and the infrastructure we now have thanks to the tyrone co board and harte. Its not soccer, we cant transfer players, we have to work with what we have. We were very lucky in the noughties to have a group of players coming through who were the best in their positions in ireland and led us to numerous sam maguires, newsflash, that doesnt come around to often for any county! Be happy we have a great manager and some more exciting players coming into the team and stop the constant sniping and negativity. Tir Eoghain Abu!

bigboon (Tyrone) - Posts: 48 - 27/08/2013 12:39:45    1469180

Link

Martinprince

Who is this guy? I haven't saw u saw one positive thing about Tyrone yet, even after the Monaghan game you were putting the boot in. Are you even from Tyrone as I have my doubts.

duke_raul (Tyrone) - Posts: 991 - 27/08/2013 13:20:59    1469236

Link

duke_raul
County: Tyrone

Martinprince

Who is this guy? I haven't saw u saw one positive thing about Tyrone yet, even after the Monaghan game you were putting the boot in. Are you even from Tyrone as I have my doubts.

Just highlighting the sarcasm in the thread title ''A Great Year''. Be a good title for the Tyrone GAA yearbook, McKenna Cup Champions 2013, must get the flag out.

martinprince (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 27/08/2013 14:15:55    1469294

Link

What we need to realise is that we cant just say that we should be winning AIs every year, what gives us the right to be that arrogant?
We need to be a lot more gracious and thankful for what we have achieved....lot of people getting carried away on the back of the last 10 years. Reaching an AI semi final and a League final is a good year in anyone's book.
Yes it's only proper that we aspire to being AI champions each year but if that doesnt happen then we need to look at the positives and start building for the next year. If you look around the villages and towns before this semi final there was very little bunting or flags...the atmosphere was subdued...the supporters havent got the same hunger as they had 10 years ago and that feeds into the team.
I commented on Colm Cavanagh putting in a good performance for Tyrone last Sunday...didnt take long before people were promoting players from their own clubs as better alternatives...that's part of the problem in Tyrone - not enough people being subjective, they can only see things from their own point of view. No place for personal agendas in Gaelic IMO.

where in my previous post did i say we should be winning the All Ireland every year, i have never got carried away with the past 10 years. I asked questions in my post which no one seems prepared to address. It seems if anyone difffers with your opinion we have to have our own personnal agendas the only agenda i have is to see the best possible team on the pitch and in my mind that hasnt happened all year. certain players seem to be guaranteed positions no matter how they play and that for me cannot be right. I have spoken to one player totally frustrated with the set up. If you are happy enough to settle for the status quo then thats your perogative however not all Tyrone fans are prepared to accept everything and say nothing. I will continue to highlight issues which i feel are not right and make no apologies for it. We need to change the direction we are going in and everyone needs to feel they are being treated equally. As for promoting players from ones own club i make no apologies for promoting any player surely as Tyrone fans we all want to see the best available players playing for Tyrone.

rahillyman (Tyrone) - Posts: 313 - 27/08/2013 14:29:54    1469315

Link

Well how are my friends in Tyrone?

Some may be reeling and others spinning but the title of this thread " A Good Year" is most amusing to say the least. However, talking of threads, 'Good Year' may not be that far fetched for in comparison to the tyre name it is full of air and probably going by the postings here full of hot air with all the spinning of the Tyrone wheel that's being done.

Now for those posters who believe Tyrone's flat tyre is anyway inflated are living in cuckoo-land after failures in both the Ulster provincial championship and the All Ireland championship not just in 2013 but for years so long now that most forget when they were last so called Sam winners.

So what does one do when a tyre is thread bare or constantly flat after so many punctures in both the national league and championships they of course will change it. But has Tyrone done it? No because the penny has yet dropped yet!

But who cares?

IrvinestownMkII (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1382 - 27/08/2013 14:35:02    1469319

Link

rahillyman - you need to realise that it's not all about you and your opinions...my post was not directed at you except for the part about people having their own agendas and not being subjective :)
Of course I dont agree with every aspect of the management of the team - I doubt anyone does...but you still have to support the team and the management. Like I have said before, they cant be doing too much wrong when they have achieved what they have...? To pick out certain decisions is a dangerous game, you have to look at the whole picture and ultimately the results.
At the start of this year tell me would anyone have predicted that we would have reached an AI semi and a league final?
Rahillyman - I put it to you...if you were in charge of the team do you think everyone would agree 100% with all of your decisions? I think not...and the same would apply to whoever was in charge. It's a simple fact of life, no people are the same so they will never agree on everything.
With new players coming in and the older players another year older, personally I think it was a satisfactory year. I wouldnt go as far to say that it was a good year but not a bad one.
Tyrone minors this week, let's get behind them :)

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 27/08/2013 14:51:16    1469336

Link

Remind me what Fermanagh have achieved this year?

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 27/08/2013 14:54:27    1469339

Link

tyrone have plenty of positives to take from this year, get morgan back,a couple of fresh faces to push on the guys that are there and with the experience this squad has gained this year we'll be hard to beat.
donegal went all out to make sure they didn't lose the first round of the championship and what have they done since or when will they be back- they've monaghan, meath, galway, armagh n co. in divison 2 they may not even get promoted.
if mayo win the AI could imagine the celebrating they'll do you'll not be worried to meet them next year.

at_it_allDay (Tyrone) - Posts: 55 - 27/08/2013 15:35:43    1469395

Link

if mayo win the AI could imagine the celebrating they'll do you'll not be worried to meet them next year.

A price well worth paying, at_it_allday!

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1971 - 27/08/2013 16:27:23    1469454

Link

Things are not so bad, we need a creative playmaker, and we need to score more goals, we'll be in good company anyway come next sunday evening as one of Dublin or Kerry will be out of contention. Mayo, since 2011 (correct me if I'm wrong, longford put them out that year) have been in a semi final and now 2 finals. They are well down that development path. Like was said if they win, they'll celebrate for decades :P so the hangover may go on for some time.

johnjoelglanton (Tyrone) - Posts: 27 - 27/08/2013 17:09:04    1469505

Link

lads let look at this a bit closer this is far from a good year since 2009 every time we come up against a top 4/5 team we have been out play out muscled and out though on the sideline we have going from a team nobody wanted to draw to a team Dublin Kerry and Mayo all wanted to draw in the semi final. we don't seem to know how to win a big game anymore this and last years league finals, Donegal 3 years in a row these are all game we had enough chances to win but we just didn't seem to know how or have a back up for when the 1st plan went wrong or wasn't working. If Mickey is to stay on (and I hope he will) imo the first thing he needs to change is the trainer how many times in the past number of years have we gone in to big games with out our key players due to an injury at training or in a warm up we also need a good strength and conditioning trainer get out lads build up a bit and fitter as we will never win another AI playing a good 20mins as in the first half as on Sunday. We also need to be able to interchange our style of play be less predictable this is the biggest point of frustration for me because when our game play is not working and we just keep going and doing the same thing ie short kick outs when teams have pushed up on us and running the ball into tackles and getting turned over in our own half we simply dont have the players for this style anymore when we do break the tackles we seem to hit hail mary balls in to stevie or mccurry this kind of ball is not what they want either and you can see them starting to get pissed off as the games go on.
On the plus side we have found a gem in Niall Morgan and we do have a player there who are more than good enough to win All Ireland I hope it is soon roll on 2014

redbomb (Tyrone) - Posts: 157 - 28/08/2013 17:14:41    1470361

Link

We started this years championship being well beaten by donegal and finished it being well beaten by Mayo in between we beat a series of division 3 teams and this has been our fate basically since 2009. As the previous poster pointed out the big teams dont fear us anymore. I am a tyrone fan through and through and I go to games as often as I can I missed 3 games this year and i support the team through thick and thin I have been attending tyrone games since 1973 long before the break through in 2003 and i know what it was like back then. I dont think making points about what i believe is wrong makes me any less a tyrone man. I totally agree that we need to make changes to how we have been doing things.
1 our fitness levels are no where near where the top teams are at for twenty minutes on Sunday we looked well up for the game but after that we just didnt seem to have the energy.
2 our game plan hasnt changed since 2003 and whilst it served us well then i dont believe we have the smae sort of players no we had then. That doesnt mean i dont believe we have good players i believe we have but leaving 1 or 2 players isolated with 4 or 5 defenders is not working. I believe players like Kyle coney, connor McAliskey and ronan O neill would relish a more attacking approach
3 I have mixed feelings on holding onto to our older players i dont believe that Stepehen O neill or conor gormley owe tyrone anything but i firmly believe they dont have 70 minutes in them any more and if they do stay i would prefer they were used as impact subs however im not convinced they would be used like that if they stayed.
I believe the club championships coming up must be used to find options for Midfield , Half back and half forward the stronger we can make the panel the better and that next years McKenna cup/National league is used to blood any new players and what odds if we dont win the McKenna cup at least give them game time and rest players who would be considered first choice. When players are playing poorly then they need to be taken off there cannot be one rule for certain players and another for others. That is the only way to create a competative panel heere players know they have to perform to get the jersey. I have no particlar desire to see us change our manager but i do believe he needs to make changes in order to get us back where i believe we are capable of being that is challenging for major honours

rahillyman (Tyrone) - Posts: 313 - 28/08/2013 19:47:01    1470494

Link

rahillyman good points but heres the punchline you will be castigated probably before 10pm for providing an anti mickey rant this is how blind faith works. we will never win another all-ireland with the current set up on the sideline. now that isnt anti mickey heas been a great servant but we have been also rans since 2008. we were obliterated in the second half by an average mayo team tyrone 0f the 03-05 vintage would have been 10pts up at half time.its turning people off and the county board need to have a long hard look at where tyrone are going. we are at a watershed moment 5 more years of mediocrity or change. i will ask the question would kerry dublin mayo cork continue with the diminishing returns of the last 5 years.

weebox (Tyrone) - Posts: 272 - 28/08/2013 20:29:53    1470521

Link

Ye know lads its well worth remembering that the squad from 03-08 was full of very talented and exceptional players.It might be that we just don't have that same quality just yet.I think we are moving in the right direction though.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4143 - 28/08/2013 20:39:03    1470531

Link

Rahillyman agree with a lot of what you said.

I dont think Stephen O Neill or Conor Gormley would be used as subs if they stuck around and for that reason I think it is best to move on. The next stage of development needs the young players to play together from the start of the season for full games.

We definitely need to change style of play and go more attacking as we have an abundance of forwards who can be high scoring but perhaps not when a man down up front. Time to stop sacrificing a forward to defence. Especially next year with the black card we actually could benefit up front.

The training point is true. In big games in croker the big teams seem fitter than us. That was evident again against Mayo when we seemed to tire second half. What about bringing back Paddy Tally as trainer.

I think this year provided a good base and a good few positives for next year...Division 1 Football, Morgan, Mattie Donnelly, Conor Clarke, Darren Mc Curry. With these changes and 1 or 2 new faces to join the panel I think we could actually win SAM next year. Next year there should be only 2 teams potentially better than us...Dublin and Mayo...and 1 of them should be less motivated.

tyroneed (Tyrone) - Posts: 678 - 28/08/2013 21:03:03    1470548

Link

03-08 had b.mcguigan b.dooher p.jordan o.mulligan k.hughes and p.canavan for part of that era and you tyrone fans are very hard to please considering league final appearance and all-irland semi.i think with the panel you have its a great achievement this year.take out so'neill conor gormley and you have average age of 24 or 25.loss of peter harte s.o'neill and j.mcmahon witout adequate replacements was your undoing last weekend.

toe2hand (Galway) - Posts: 220 - 28/08/2013 21:10:19    1470555

Link

toe2hand
County: Galway

03-08 had b.mcguigan b.dooher p.jordan o.mulligan k.hughes and p.canavan for part of that era and you tyrone fans are very hard to please considering league final appearance and all-irland semi.i think with the panel you have its a great achievement this year.take out so'neill conor gormley and you have average age of 24 or 25.loss of peter harte s.o'neill and j.mcmahon witout adequate replacements was your undoing last weekend.

i agree there where a lot of exceptional players in that era but i believe we have some very talented players in this panel also but I dont see the sense with players like connor mcaliskley and ronan o neill playing in our own half of the field. We need a change to have ball played in quickly to our forwards in the opposition half where they can do damage

rahillyman (Tyrone) - Posts: 313 - 28/08/2013 21:34:32    1470579

Link