Tyrone Forum

Tyrone refs standard getting worse

(Oldest Posts First)

I watched two of Tyrone's supposed finest destroy two games of football today and am fearful more than ever for our games. In Croke Park one ref (and his linesman) missed a blatant two handed push over the sideline and from this proceeded to give one of the worst penalty decisions I have ever seen which ultimately decided the result. The number of cards dished out in what was a far from dirty game was unreal and indeed a major contrast to the lack of action by the ref in last weeks hurling which was also extremely poor. So to tonight in Dunmoyle and without doubt the ref surpassed himself in his incompetence. Whistle happy all the way through he then indicated 6 minutes injury time which was about right given a serious clash between two Clonoe players. However he proceeded to play almost 10 minutes injury time during which he managed to give Clonoe two of the handiest frees ever likely to be given. Having single handedly reduced the deficit to one, a Clonoe player slipped, played the ball on the ground and got a free in almost in front of the posts. A mini melee ensued culminating in a headbutt for which a yellow card is given another Clonoe man is sent off and two Omagh players. He then decides to throw the ball up and finally after 40 minutes of the second half blows time. Now my club came out on the right side of the result however the incompetence of the ref has left a sour taste and was a significant contributor to the melee at the end. I appreciate we need refs but their job is to apply rules and not try and dictate the result of games. Sometime in the future they may need to take a long hard look at themselves and maybe they will understand why the abuse is on the increase.

omaghredhand (Tyrone) - Posts: 3656 - 26/08/2012 21:59:32    1252564

Link

omaghredhand
County: Tyrone

1252564 I watched two of Tyrone's supposed finest destroy two games of football today and am fearful more than ever for our games. In Croke Park one ref (and his linesman) missed a blatant two handed push over the sideline and from this proceeded to give one of the worst penalty decisions I have ever seen which ultimately decided the result. The number of cards dished out in what was a far from dirty game was unreal and indeed a major contrast to the lack of action by the ref in last weeks hurling which was also extremely poor. So to tonight in Dunmoyle and without doubt the ref surpassed himself in his incompetence. Whistle happy all the way through he then indicated 6 minutes injury time which was about right given a serious clash between two Clonoe players. However he proceeded to play almost 10 minutes injury time during which he managed to give Clonoe two of the handiest frees ever likely to be given. Having single handedly reduced the deficit to one, a Clonoe player slipped, played the ball on the ground and got a free in almost in front of the posts. A mini melee ensued culminating in a headbutt for which a yellow card is given another Clonoe man is sent off and two Omagh players. He then decides to throw the ball up and finally after 40 minutes of the second half blows time. Now my club came out on the right side of the result however the incompetence of the ref has left a sour taste and was a significant contributor to the melee at the end. I appreciate we need refs but their job is to apply rules and not try and dictate the result of games. Sometime in the future they may need to take a long hard look at themselves and maybe they will understand why the abuse is on the increase.

Don't hold your breath.

GrizzlyAdams (Tyrone) - Posts: 576 - 27/08/2012 10:43:20    1252719

Link

Standard is terrible. You should go to an under age game to see how bad things really are...

PastThePost (Tyrone) - Posts: 187 - 27/08/2012 14:24:35    1253054

Link

True, also the injustice that Mayo received yesterday was down to poor application of the rules. A penalty was given for a foot block when ball actually came off a thigh. No wonder people are turned off!!!!

medaman (Tyrone) - Posts: 64 - 27/08/2012 16:44:44    1253260

Link

Poor performance from the referee on Sunday.He was way out of his depth.It will be a while til he's back on the Croke Park sod again.

orange and blue (Tyrone) - Posts: 1076 - 28/08/2012 11:20:57    1253798

Link

omaghredhand
County: Tyrone

Sometime in the future they may need to take a long hard look at themselves and maybe they will understand why the abuse is on the increase.

Why wait for the future? Refereeing in Tyrone should be taking a long, hard look at itself now. I wasn't in Dunmoyle on Sunday, but by all accounts the referee was very poor. I was in Croke Park however, and I had to slide into my seat when listening to a few Cork men behind me during the Minor game. After the penalty, "Who is the ref anyway lads, that was a shocking decision" "He's from Tyrone lads" "Ah sure that explains it all, what type of referees do they have up there anyway". That is the national perception of refereeing within the county.

The sad thing is they are right. At least they don't have to put up with it every week!

EnolaGay (Tyrone) - Posts: 653 - 28/08/2012 11:26:45    1253807

Link

It is perhaps unfair to label all referees as bad. I have heard from players off referees giving players yellow cards and apologising for it saying thinks like im being assessed and have to give this, or that wouldnt have been a free when i was playing but i have to send you off or i wont get another championship game. I blame the people issuing the directives to refs and before people come on blaming the county board, i know members of the county board and they too are appalled by men who think they are above the law.
The county board should have an independant assessor who can stroke referees of he list for poor displays and who the top referees are answerable to instead of people on ego trips

carmenabu (None) - Posts: 149 - 28/08/2012 14:02:21    1253964

Link

i am a fermanagh man up here we had a ref striking a player when he was doing the line in anoffical capicaty he was told his reffereeing services were withdrawn he appeald this to ccc he got banned for 8 weeks now he is back reffing 3 games this week

squareball2 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 191 - 28/08/2012 17:00:51    1254161

Link

I watched two of Tyrone's supposed finest destroy two games of football today and am fearful more than ever for our games. In Croke Park one ref (and his linesman) missed a blatant two handed push over the sideline and from this proceeded to give one of the worst penalty decisions I have ever seen which ultimately decided the result. The number of cards dished out in what was a far from dirty game was unreal and indeed a major contrast to the lack of action by the ref in last weeks hurling which was also extremely poor. So to tonight in Dunmoyle and without doubt the ref surpassed himself in his incompetence. Whistle happy all the way through he then indicated 6 minutes injury time which was about right given a serious clash between two Clonoe players. However he proceeded to play almost 10 minutes injury time during which he managed to give Clonoe two of the handiest frees ever likely to be given. Having single handedly reduced the deficit to one, a Clonoe player slipped, played the ball on the ground and got a free in almost in front of the posts. A mini melee ensued culminating in a headbutt for which a yellow card is given another Clonoe man is sent off and two Omagh players. He then decides to throw the ball up and finally after 40 minutes of the second half blows time. Now my club came out on the right side of the result however the incompetence of the ref has left a sour taste and was a significant contributor to the melee at the end. I appreciate we need refs but their job is to apply rules and not try and dictate the result of games. Sometime in the future they may need to take a long hard look at themselves and maybe they will understand why the abuse is on the increase.

whilst agreeing with the sentiments of the post i take issue with aspects of the post. The fact is your Omagh St Endas tainted glasses must have blurred your vision of the game you state clonoe where given two very handy frees to get within a point of omagh considering the first of those points was a score from play did i miss something or did the referee kick that point ? to me it looked very like paul coney the very handy free which was the second one Conor McAliskey outfilelded his marker was dragged to the ground for a free didnt look very soft to me , given that he had previously been dragged down in the large square and was only awarded a 14 yard free it maybe points to the fact that maybe his refereeing was wasnt as biased towards clonoe as you try to make out but why let the facts get in the way of a good story.
The last free awarded my have looked soft but it was awarded as where many throughout the game to omagh the mellee which ensued was instigated by an omagh player so why was the ball then hopped it highlights one real issue with refereeing in this county in that County Players are given preferential treatment the antics of county players over 2 games didnt endear them to supporters from this part of the county. I have witnessed this in many games and this is a big problem which must be addressed as it seems games are very often refereed by the county players and these same players are free to do as they like

rahillyman (Tyrone) - Posts: 313 - 29/08/2012 12:49:28    1254748

Link

The incident in Croker was a joke, must be sickening for Mayo team/mentors..! Cost them the game.

In Dunmoyle, over the both games the ref pulled the Omagh team back into contention with handy frees and then overturned the Clonoe free at the end to make a real balls of it...! Fair enough Clonoe no.6 retalliated after some Omagh players started throwing punches at numerous players but they started the melee, didnt have 2 men lined for nothing.

Big Ed (Tyrone) - Posts: 18 - 29/08/2012 14:28:37    1254877

Link

Nobody in meath is complaining!!

BettystownRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 3353 - 29/08/2012 18:57:35    1255244

Link

29/08/2012 18:57:35
BettystownRoyal
County: Meath

1255244 Nobody in meath is complaining!!

Meath just love Tyrone referees

GrizzlyAdams (Tyrone) - Posts: 576 - 31/08/2012 08:58:07    1255957

Link

I think our generosity to Meath from a refereeing viewpoint needs to stop I mean we help their underage sides and senior sides progress and they give us david Coldrick. Come on Meath a wee bit of payback please.

Tyronetim (Tyrone) - Posts: 1254 - 31/08/2012 10:25:47    1255987

Link

It is an absolute joke in Hurling too. All but one of the refs (Liam O'Neill from Carlow) have never pucked a ball. Useless refs and the county final will probably come down to who has the better free taker. They can't tell the difference in someone playing the hurl, which is a foul, and 2 hurls banging into eachother when 2 men go for a ball. Then I don't know how they decide which way the free is going in that case. The clash of the ash is all but a memory with these ignorant men in charge of games.

Give respect, get respect works both ways.

wise_guy (Tyrone) - Posts: 1584 - 01/09/2012 12:37:22    1256673

Link

yeah must be really poor in Hurling given the lack of numbers in the county. Still wouldn't do it that job myself absolutely not after one or two attempts on the line that was me done.

Tyronetim (Tyrone) - Posts: 1254 - 01/09/2012 18:22:10    1256886

Link

I'll give Micky McCarron his dues, he was well improved for the county final. Few jubious calls but by in large he let it flow

wise_guy (Tyrone) - Posts: 1584 - 04/09/2012 13:21:04    1258949

Link