Sligo Forum

Cavan V Sligo

(Oldest Posts First)

A big game in our promotion push. Cavan haven't performed yet and are due to break out. With this game not for a couple of weeks, does anyone know the story with David Kelly. Would like to see our full forward line cemented over the next 2/3 games. Kelly and Marren are sure things but who gets the other corner. Coen, McGee and Murphy all in the mix, don't know about Clarke but I suppose he is too. Anyone closer to home with the scoop?

the circle has 2 sides (Sligo) - Posts: 69 - 14/02/2012 13:29:46    1111400

Link

Yes very big game ahead of us if we want to push for promotion, Great performance from the boys last weekend and especially Adrian, Colm Magee was not great at all in my opinion poor game for the amount of quality ball going into the forward line. With the 3 weeks break hopefully Kelly will be ok and I seen in the irish Independant that Stephen Coen has a hamstring tear but he is aiming to be back for the cavan game, In my opinion it should be Coen Kelly and Adrian in there, they are by far the best forward line and work well together, and Adrian is well able for frees on the left side and I think Coen should take them on the right, he is a very accurate free taker.

harps2588 (Sligo) - Posts: 78 - 14/02/2012 14:39:58    1111465

Link

Im just wondering is the lack of activity on the site a reflection of apathy by the supporters or is it just a wait and see exercise before jumping on the bandwagon later to either criticise or heap praise which ever way the cookie appears to be crumbling.Never one to mince my words [I have been silenced before] I will predict a good win over Cavan but sincerely hope that nobody gets carried away as there are glaring weaknesses in the team at the moment.A descent partner for Mullen at midfield is required and a footballing full forward would be top of my list.Fullback is also worrying as there does not appear to be a genuine contender for that position who would bring a prescence`to the position

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 205 - 21/02/2012 21:55:10    1115821

Link

See my post on Prorities thread.....I agree.....

TheStigmeister (Sligo) - Posts: 84 - 22/02/2012 13:10:06    1115948

Link

With cavan in turmoil a victory is a must this weekend if Sligo are to challenge Roscommon for the D3 title and win promotion

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2754 - 29/02/2012 16:26:11    1119850

Link

Marron can run a mile in 4:02

MURPHB33 (Dublin) - Posts: 166 - 01/03/2012 11:49:53    1120248

Link

Very disappointing performance last nite. Cavan totally deserved the vitory. We could have snatched a draw with kelly's chance for a goal at d end but it would have papered over the cracks. Serious questions have to be asked about the line now. Something has to be done with midfield. Maybe der's no one else but der not even tryin anyone else. Some of the options taken by players on the ball wer terrible. Charlie carry the ball into tackles again and losing possesion wit us 2 points down. What are d mgmt tellin dem ? For me charlie is more interested in going forward dan marking his man. Martyn (worth a try at midfield ) done well wen he came on 4d injured kennedy who also done well. Rooney and quinn made a difference when dey came on i wonder will dey start d next day ? Good to see kelly back hopefully he can pick up were he left off over a year ago. McGee was quiet as was marren. Clarke came out d field but didn't do much. Hughes won a few kick outs but quiet from open play as was brehony. Massive game against offaly lose dat a division 4 is we're going.

Let.the.ball.in (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 04/03/2012 13:02:33    1122099

Link

Promotion to D2 has taken a bit of a rattle.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2754 - 04/03/2012 21:47:30    1122670

Link

Shocking performance in Cavan. Thought Harrison was poor and looked not physical enough to retain the ball in contact. We've a serious problem at midfield, i thought we were outplayed again. Marren proved ever so inconsistent and I thought he was lucky not to see Red in an incident at the end of the game. Not sure about McGee. Clarke is not a full forward. Tough times ahead

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 05/03/2012 09:51:46    1122737

Link

The two front runners for promotion were beaten this weekend, Roscommon and Sligo.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2754 - 05/03/2012 10:31:32    1122767

Link

I was at the game on Saturday night, First half performance was the worst I think I have ever seen them play, it was a disgrace to watch, but they played very well second half and could of won it but didnt deserve to. Midfield were shocking and the half forward line, Mark Breheny now has had three bad games its time for a change in my opinion, Johnny Martyn was our best player when introduced. I thought Magee was poor, even doh he scored a goal anybody would of scored the goal, i thought Kelly would of came on for him at half time. James Clarke was poor. Hopefully Stephen Coen will be back from injury next week, we need Kelly Coen and Marren in the forward line and we wont need Mark for frees when Coen is on the pitch.

harps2588 (Sligo) - Posts: 78 - 05/03/2012 11:31:37    1122840

Link

Very dissapointed but we can bounce back

Johny Martin for me must start full back not that kennedy was bad maybe kennedy should move to the corner back position as Charlie was greedy and poor has cost us the game in antrim and cavan carrys into tackles with players running off him costelloe guilty of the same
Midfield non existent half forward line let their backs run at the sligo backs. Brehony not in the game or the last two games mcgee poor
Marren very good unfortunately mc govern and davey also poor should maybe start with quinn mcmanus mcgovern
mcmanus very strong winning loads of possession needs to sort out his passing

CASEMENTIN (Sligo) - Posts: 7 - 05/03/2012 12:13:00    1122879

Link

Sat nights game was poor. We got off to a poor start as both our 1st choice mid fielders got knocks with Mullen having to leave the fray. Only about 3 players played well. Mc Manus looks a useful addition as does his club mate Hughes. Not a Coen fan. Big problems at midfield. We just have to persist with what we have at present cos there is nothing else in the county. The no 3 position should be Johnny Martyns from now on. He an accomplished footballer. Charlie could do with a rest so the sideline for a game or 2 might helpo him regain his focus. Antrim should top group. The other spot is wide open

samual (Sligo) - Posts: 3 - 05/03/2012 13:24:08    1122949

Link

My prediction was wrong but as anyone who read my post will see I pointed out glaring weakness's. Sadly a lot of the posts coming in now could have been written any time in the last two years.One thing that is frustrating is ''how can a player that was deemed no good a while back be the answer to our problems the next day?'' To build a successful team a few basics never change ie; A strong line down the middle ,a good work ethic and attitude and above all no glory hunters.On all these factors Sligo failed on Sat night.It only takes a few players acting selfishly to give the team a bad name but its up to management to root this out .In a small county like Sligo team spirit is very important but as has happened down the years just when things appeared to be coming together the indulgence of so called stars undo's the good work. The nightmare scenario looming is losses to Longford and Roscommon. A win over Longford is a now a must if supporters [real] are to have any faith in the team this year.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 205 - 05/03/2012 13:39:34    1122963

Link

agree give charlie and brehony a rest. Bring in young blood for the longford game. Avoiding relegation now is our number 1 priority. Also would like to see David Maye come in at center forward and Clarke at Midfield.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 05/03/2012 14:09:24    1122999

Link