Sligo Forum

Club All Stars

(Oldest Posts First)

So, now that the Senior championship is over and Intermediate is almost complete too, who do you all see as being likely recipients of the awards in both championships? Presumably finalists will feature most prominently in both but it should be interesting to see who makes it. Views and opinions please?

sligoNo1 (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 07/10/2011 15:20:26    1048300

Link

1 v cadden
2 Kennedy
3 donnovan
4 Cawley
5 McGovern
6 McIntyre
7 Leonard
8 Egan
9 o meara
10 curran
11 Costello
12 j marren
13 murphy
14 Egan
15 Quinn

sligoNo1 (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 10/10/2011 18:44:04    1049725

Link

1 v cadden
2 Kennedy
3 donnovan
4 Cawley ...wud have K Morley from Curry here
5 McGovern
6 McIntyre
7 Leonard
8 Egan...wud have K Byrne from Geevagh here and move Egan forward (can u do that?)
9 o meara
10 curran...Mark Breheny here?
11 Costello
12 j marren ...put B Egan to here
13 murphy
14 Egan
15 Quinn

Probably argument for Adrian Marren too. Hard to pick a ream like this. Good players from teams that don't progress get ruled out. No major quibbles with your team but dont think Marren was a constant on Tour team and he was subbed early enough. Gary Gaughan as winning captain prob make it too. Like all such teams there'll be lots of debate. Others worth looking at include Egan (even if he's v young) and Martyn from Mary's, Harps' keeper (Cadden should be in for county but wasn't 1st choice for Coolera all championship), Frank Quinn from Gaels and McGill from Harps. What bout intermediate team?

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 59 - 11/10/2011 14:59:36    1050223

Link

1. B McHugh - Harps
2. K Morley - Curry
3. B Kennedy - Tour
4. R Donavon - Harps
5. P McGovern - Harps
6. A McIntyre - Tour
7. J Leonard - Tour
8. B Egan - Tour
9. T Taylor - Harps
10. J Quinn - Tour
11. M Brehony - Marys
12. A Marren - Curry
13. N Murphy - Coolera
14. N McGill -Harps
15. B Egan - Tour

Like previous poster said these teams are very hard to pick and you could debate it for a week and still not come to an agreement on the best 15.

Tour were obviously the best team this year and will prob end up with the most players. I've 6 of their players on my team and Gary Gaughan will also be in with a shout.

For me Harps were the second best team this year even though they didn't make the final. Their defence was excellent all through the year and I have 3 of their back 7 on my team with Kevin Gallagher also coming close at wing back. I think Niall McGill will make it as well as he finished top scorer in the championship and was impressive but couldn't see any of their other forwards being picked. Thought Tony Taylor had a good year and scored a good bit from midfield and it will probably be a toss up between himself and Con O'Meara for the second midfield spot as Brendan Egan is pretty much an automatic pick.

I only have 1 player from beaten finalists Coolera but they will probably end up with more and I'd expect Cawley(even though he missed a good few games whilst he was in America), O'Meara, Quinn and Costello to be there or there abouts.

Of the remaining positions I thought Mark Brehony had a very good year despite his red card. Adrain Marren also had a good year and I'd just about give him the nod ahead of his brother Jason. At corner back it was a close call for me between Morley and J Kelly from SMG. G Gilsenan from SMG was another player who I thought had a good year

ThatsTheWay (Sligo) - Posts: 18 - 11/10/2011 15:41:07    1050267

Link

1 v cadden
2 Kennedy
3 donnovan
4 Cawley ...wud have K Morley from Curry here
5 McGovern
6 McIntyre
7 Leonard
8 Egan...wud have K Byrne from Geevagh here and move Egan forward (can u do that?)
9 o meara
10 curran...Mark Breheny here?
11 Costello
12 j marren ...put B Egan to here
13 murphy
14 Egan
15 Quinn

Probably argument for Adrian Marren too. Hard to pick a ream like this. Good players from teams that don't progress get ruled out. No major quibbles with your team but dont think Marren was a constant on Tour team and he was subbed early enough. Gary Gaughan as winning captain prob make it too. Like all such teams there'll be lots of debate. Others worth looking at include Egan (even if he's v young) and Martyn from Mary's, Harps' keeper (Cadden should be in for county but wasn't 1st choice for Coolera all championship), Frank Quinn from Gaels and McGill from Harps. What bout intermediate team?
11/10/2011 15:41:07

no12 j marren i was actually referring to jason from curry thought he had an excellent yr and couldnt fit him into full forward line...altho as you said not sure if you can do that as he only played in full forward line all year. I didnt feel Brehony was as good as others thats why i omitted him but i agree there is a decent arguement for many others to be involved. my main uncertainties were at 4 (Cawley) and at 10 and 12...maybe gaughan worth a shout in there altho i wasnt overly impressed with him in many games. and i wouldnt agree with K Byrne inclusion but respect your opinion

sligoNo1 (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 11/10/2011 18:12:14    1050405

Link

as for intermediate team, i wouldnt have a very big knowledge of players at this level but having seen semi finals and finals i would expect majority of players to come from those 4 teams with maybe one or two others coming in

farnans keeper would be there for me, along with cawley and maybe hynes
Coolaney/Mbreena will feature heavily with the likes of finan b kivlehan c o'dowd dead certs with a few more likely to come in also
Drumcliffe will have gallagher hestor murphy along with a couple other contenders
Bunninadden wil have doohan and maybe keirns pushing for a place

will be interesting to see the outcomes though as im sure there are more players im forgetting or dont know of

sligoNo1 (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 11/10/2011 18:22:44    1050411

Link

Thank you for reply.

arguillocydf (Sligo) - Posts: 2 - 12/10/2011 08:11:44    1050566

Link

Like previous poster said these teams are very hard to pick and you could debate it for a week and still not come to an agreement on the best 15.

arguillocydf (Sligo) - Posts: 2 - 12/10/2011 08:13:23    1050567

Link

Sorry Sligono1 ...of course, Jason not John. On looking at Thatstheway's team have to agree that McGill prob will make it but depends if free-taking carries same weight for this kind of selection. McHugh good call for goals too but cant see 5 Harps making it. By the time its picked there will prob be a tendency towards county players and good new club lads prob be forgotten? If Tour go on a good run they'll up their numbers.Think we all agree there's major ifs and buts with all these selections but it's a good bit of craic in the quiet season. Would be interesting if club selection played county side in charity game!

tentonne (Sligo) - Posts: 59 - 12/10/2011 15:43:33    1050910

Link

Hear is how they will pick the players, I wonder who will the panel of experts be??:

ELIGIBILITY
*All players who have played in Sligo senior and
intermediate championships
RULES
*Each club participating in these championships
are sent an application form to pick one goalkeeper,
three full back line, three
half back line, two midfielders,
three half forward line and three
full forward line players
*Where a club has a team in both
senior and intermediate championships,
they will only have one
vote
*Each club can only select five
players from any individual club
*Each club cannot choose any
players from their own club
*The form has to be signed by
Club Secretary and the selection
can be made by either club players, mentors,
supporters or a combination there of

SELECTION CRITERIA
*All nominations are then collated by The Sligo
Champion and the two best goalkeepers, six full
back line nominees, six half back line nominees,
four best midfielders, six best half forwards and
six best full forward line nominees are nominated
for their position
*If a player is nominated in two positions, his
total in the lower position will be added to those
in his higher position
*Players are nominated in generic positions of
each line rather than for example at left corner
back, full back, right corner back
*A nomination form in The Sligo Champion combined
with experts' wildcards will make up
remaining three full back, three half back, one
goalkeeper, two midfielders, three half forwards
and three full forward positions
*Final nominees will be published in The Sligo
Champion three-four weeks before the Banquet
*Nominees will not be differentiated between
those nominated by clubs or application
card/wildcard on the list of final nominees
*A panel of experts will then choose the Club All
Stars

TimtheEnchanter (Sligo) - Posts: 309 - 12/10/2011 15:51:44    1050916

Link

Is there just one team between senior and intermediate or are there two separate all star teams?

Anybody have opinion on intermediate players in contention?

I must agree b mcgugh Is probably a good shout for GK and McGill wil be close also. Hard to fit them all in but I would maybe replace one of the wing forwards and fit him in there

sligoNo1 (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 12/10/2011 21:08:01    1051126

Link

No, the intermediate team will be picked separately from the Senior teams. My 15 intermediates based on having seen the the semi-finals and final would be broken down as follows: 8 from the winners Coolaney/Mullinabreena, 4 from the runners-up Drumcliffe, 2 from St Farnan's and 1 from Bunninadden. Any thoughts? Am I being unfair to teams that played in the earlier rounds?

TEAM
1. Francis Brennan - Cool/Mull
2. Enda Kivlehan - Cool/Mull
3. Sean Gorman - Cool/Mull
4. Neil Ewing - Drum/Ros
5. John McGowan - Cool/Mull
6. Kevin Dufficy - Drum/Ros
7. Cian O'Dowd - Cool/Mull
8. Vinny Frizzell - Bunninadden
9. Brian Og Murphy - Drum/Ros
10. Barry Kivlehan - Cool/Mull
11. James Hynes - St Farnans
12. Eamon Cawley - St Farnans
13. Kieran Finan - Cool/Mull
14 Chris Davey - Cool/Mull
15 Philip Gallagher - Drum/Ros

An_Leine_Dubh (Sligo) - Posts: 49 - 13/10/2011 15:03:43    1051432

Link

On re-reading the rules of the Club All Stars it would actually seem that there will be only one team selected out of both the Intermediate and Senior Championships, not two separate teams as i previously thought. Obviously such a scenario would render the team I picked above to a large extent, null-and-void!!

An_Leine_Dubh (Sligo) - Posts: 49 - 13/10/2011 15:41:40    1051460

Link

having seen a good few intermediate championship games this year i think you've got a good team there leine dubh and will probably closely resemble the final selection. However i think there's 3 or 4 players that i would have there instead, based on their consistency throughout the campaign, including weaker teams i seen. my selection would include;

1. Padraig Calpin (Farnans)
2. Enda Kivlehan (C/M)
3. Sean Gorman (C/M)
4. Shane Marren (C/M)
5. Conor Davey (Drumcliff)
6. Neil Ewing (Drumcliff)
7. Cian O Dowd (C/M)
8. Brian Og Murphy (Drumcliff)
9. Vincent Frizzel (Bunnanadden)
10. Barry Kivlehan (C/M)
11. Kieran Finan (C/M)
12. Eamonn Cawley (Farnans)
13. James Hynes (Farnans)
14. Philip Gallagher (Drumcliff)
15. Alan Taffe (Michaels)

Players like M. Gormley, Doohan and Kerins from bunnanadden might also make it but i couldn't fit them in. overall though, these were the players who to me, made a difference to their clubs throughout the championship. i think also that 6 C/M, 4 Drumcliff, 3 Farnans, 1 Bunn and 1 Michaels might be a more likely breakdown. any other opinions? ps, great intermediate final and replay and well done to C/M.

sligos_sligo (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 13/10/2011 15:52:35    1051471

Link

1. Padraig Calpin (Farnans)
2. Enda Kivlehan (C/M)
3. Sean Gorman (C/M)
4. Shane Marren (C/M)
5. Conor Davey (Drumcliff)
6. Neil Ewing (Drumcliff)
7. Cian O Dowd (C/M)
8. Brian Og Murphy (Drumcliff)
9. Vincent Frizzel (Bunnanadden)
10. Barry Kivlehan (C/M)
11. Kieran Finan (C/M)
12. Eamonn Cawley (Farnans)
13. James Hynes (Farnans)
14. Philip Gallagher (Drumcliff)
15. Alan Taffe (Michaels)

Must agree with this selection actually. All the most impressive players are included. There may be a case to make for including hestor from drumcliffe but that would mean gallagher or hynes missing out as taffee probably deserves it for his performances within a weaker team

sligoNo1 (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 14/10/2011 14:54:43    1051972

Link

Here's the list of nominated players:

GoalKeepers

Jason Farrell Owenmore Gaels

Seamus Gildea Tourlestrane

Vinny Cadden Coolera/Strandhill

Full backs

Barry Cryan Eastern harps

Brian Kennedy Tourlestrane

Conor Carroll St Marys

Johnny Kelly St Molaise Gaels