Sligo Forum

Sligo JFC 2006 Winners

(Oldest Posts First)

Just looking for the winners of the Junior A championship in Sligo in 2006.

Does anyone know it?

Cully (Laois) - Posts: 375 - 07/09/2018 10:30:26    2140063

Link

Drumcliffe / Rosses Point

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 332 - 07/09/2018 11:12:42    2140072

Link

Replying To muscles:  "Drumcliffe / Rosses Point"
thanks a million. Did they play in the Connacht championship that year?

Cully (Laois) - Posts: 375 - 07/09/2018 11:20:22    2140076

Link

The structure of Sligo championship back then meant that Sligo Junior championship would be the equivalent of the now Junior B championship

It would have been Drumcliffe / Rosses Point's B team that won junior and I presume they would have participated in Connacht, I don't know for sure if they did

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 332 - 07/09/2018 12:04:12    2140092

Link

Don't Know what the rules were then but now a clubs second team that wins the Championship either intermediate or Junior are not allowed participate in the Connacht Championship.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 625 - 07/09/2018 14:12:01    2140134

Link

You are correct Eoinog, there was no Sligo team in Connacht Junior Championship as there was no club classed as solely Junior

In 2006, there was 16 senior teams, 16 intermediate teams and Junior was all B teams. I would still like to see it move to 8 Senior, 8 Intermediate, 8 Junior A and 14 teams for Junior B. Could probably split Junior B and have a Junior C competition. Would there be any club in county who could get near fielding a 3rd team?

muscles (Sligo) - Posts: 332 - 07/09/2018 14:53:21    2140152

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Don't Know what the rules were then but now a clubs second team that wins the Championship either intermediate or Junior are not allowed participate in the Connacht Championship."
They beat Castleconnor in a replay. I'm not sure if either side were allowed into Connacht, but I cannot see any other club in there either.

Looks like Sligo had no representation in 2006.

Cully (Laois) - Posts: 375 - 07/09/2018 15:10:48    2140156

Link

Replying To muscles:  "You are correct Eoinog, there was no Sligo team in Connacht Junior Championship as there was no club classed as solely Junior

In 2006, there was 16 senior teams, 16 intermediate teams and Junior was all B teams. I would still like to see it move to 8 Senior, 8 Intermediate, 8 Junior A and 14 teams for Junior B. Could probably split Junior B and have a Junior C competition. Would there be any club in county who could get near fielding a 3rd team?"
I can completely agree..I think 8 teams in each champo is a no brainer...you'd have 3 very competitive championships and young lads no matter what clubs they are with would be playing a decent standard. Also think relegation in champo should be scrapped and you play in whatever one that corresponds with your league status . you could maybe bring in an exemption if a team did get relegated in the league and then won the champo the same year , little chance of thus happening tho.

fb (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 11/09/2018 23:54:36    2141134

Link

Replying To muscles:  "You are correct Eoinog, there was no Sligo team in Connacht Junior Championship as there was no club classed as solely Junior

In 2006, there was 16 senior teams, 16 intermediate teams and Junior was all B teams. I would still like to see it move to 8 Senior, 8 Intermediate, 8 Junior A and 14 teams for Junior B. Could probably split Junior B and have a Junior C competition. Would there be any club in county who could get near fielding a 3rd team?"
I can completely agree..I think 8 teams in each champo is a no brainer...you'd have 3 very competitive championships and young lads no matter what clubs they are with would be playing a decent standard. Also think relegation in champo should be scrapped and you play in whatever one that corresponds with your league status . you could maybe bring in an exemption if a team did get relegated in the league and then won the champo the same year , little chance of thus happening tho.

fb (Sligo) - Posts: 6 - 11/09/2018 23:54:47    2141135

Link

Replying To fb:  "I can completely agree..I think 8 teams in each champo is a no brainer...you'd have 3 very competitive championships and young lads no matter what clubs they are with would be playing a decent standard. Also think relegation in champo should be scrapped and you play in whatever one that corresponds with your league status . you could maybe bring in an exemption if a team did get relegated in the league and then won the champo the same year , little chance of thus happening tho."
Yeah it would make for better standard of championships across the board if they trimmed them back to 8 each, with the rest in Junior B, which would be improved too as more reliable second teams would be competing in it then. The Junior A as it is is weak enough except for the fact that Easkey couldn't arrest their slide, but unless Collooney can stop them they'll bounce back up. But the hammerings that those two teams dished out in their Junior groups are like what was happening a few years ago in Intermediate before the numbers were cut, so change will be needed to get that grade to bemore competitive, even if it is far better than what it used to be ten years ago.

If you had an 8-8-8 arrangement this year we could have lined up like this:
Senior - Tourlestrane, Mary's, Tubbercurry, Harps, Mullinabreena, Coolera, Calry, Molaise.
Intermediate - Curry, Drumcliffe, John's, Farnan's, Geevagh, Shamrock Gaels, Castleconnor, Bunninadden.
Junior A - Enniscrone, Pat's, Michael's, Easkey, Ballymote, Tourlestrane, Owenmore Gaels, Cloonacool.
Junior B- Curry, Harps, Mary's and the rest in it this year.

Would make for far better competition in my view.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 34 - 12/09/2018 12:11:24    2141203

Link