Sligo Forum

Under 20'S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To pointman2007:  "Marren has shown great potential was around nuig sigs panel this year too which is good to see. Evan Lyons also, did a great job on marren in the intermediate final and replay. Technically I think that just rules McKenna out of u20 championship not this tournament but no point in playing him if he cannot play champo. Are the lads that played junior championship still okay to play u20 championship?"
Marren is from Tourlestrane. He is a very good player. He needs to work on the defensive side of his game and workrate when he doesn't have the ball.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 258 - 31/05/2019 14:20:26    2189410

Link

Replying To Anto:  "Marren is from Tourlestrane. He is a very good player. He needs to work on the defensive side of his game and workrate when he doesn't have the ball."
Obviously aware of that. Was clearly referring to Marren (Adrian) when talking about Evan Lyons

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 31/05/2019 14:51:09    2189425

Link

Replying To SligoGaa12:  "Pointman, is Towey good enough? Have you seen the lad play? Started for DCU sigs this year in his second year at wing forward, played a good bit of league with sligo seniors and probably one of our best young prospects behind red Og. You're probably right about him being no red Og as he is one of a kind, but Jesus he's an outstanding footballe and a pretty silly question by yourself as you must not of ever seen the lad play.

Sligonian, is he keen to head off ? Is that the word?"
I think Towey is good enough, fair achievement to make that dcu sigs team and I heard some of his stats at the afl combine were off the wall, now I know stats alone have never made a footballer but it certainly helps. In Gaa terms I'd wonder where his best position is, last year he was playing wing back for the 20s, for dcu he played wing forward and the other night he was named in the corner now I don't know if he actually played there? One thing he certainly has is electric pace, something which I think the county seniors are missing in the forwards especially.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 31/05/2019 14:57:15    2189427

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "I think Towey is good enough, fair achievement to make that dcu sigs team and I heard some of his stats at the afl combine were off the wall, now I know stats alone have never made a footballer but it certainly helps. In Gaa terms I'd wonder where his best position is, last year he was playing wing back for the 20s, for dcu he played wing forward and the other night he was named in the corner now I don't know if he actually played there? One thing he certainly has is electric pace, something which I think the county seniors are missing in the forwards especially."
Nail on the head pointman in fairness to you. He was named corner forward but came out to centre forward. I do agree completely it's hard to know where he plays best. Where would you think yourself ? Sligonian could weigh in on this one too.. anyway please god he sticks around and plays Senior for the next few years. If he works hard he could help turn the tide along with all the rest of the up and coming shower

SligoGaa12 (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 31/05/2019 15:22:57    2189434

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "I think Towey is good enough, fair achievement to make that dcu sigs team and I heard some of his stats at the afl combine were off the wall, now I know stats alone have never made a footballer but it certainly helps. In Gaa terms I'd wonder where his best position is, last year he was playing wing back for the 20s, for dcu he played wing forward and the other night he was named in the corner now I don't know if he actually played there? One thing he certainly has is electric pace, something which I think the county seniors are missing in the forwards especially."
Nail on the head pointman in fairness to you. He was named corner forward but came out to centre forward. I do agree completely it's hard to know where he plays best. Where would you think yourself ? Sligonian could weigh in on this one too.. anyway please god he sticks around and plays Senior for the next few years. If he works hard he could help turn the tide along with all the rest of the up and coming shower

SligoGaa12 (Sligo) - Posts: 10 - 31/05/2019 15:46:12    2189440

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "Obviously aware of that. Was clearly referring to Marren (Adrian) when talking about Evan Lyons"
Wasn't obvious from your post

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 258 - 31/05/2019 16:36:45    2189452

Link

Philly McGuinness cup final between Sligo and Tyrone is fixed for Mohill at 3pm on Saturday June 15th. Obviously great that a cup is named after him and the first final in his home club is a lovely touch. Best of luck to our lads.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1487 - 14/06/2019 17:48:35    2194955

Link

Same old story.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 201 - 15/06/2019 21:34:33    2195483

Link

Good luck to the 20s tonight. Taking on a very fancied Mayo side. Nice team named so hopefully it'll do the business.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 201 - 03/07/2019 13:42:48    2204908

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "Good luck to the 20s tonight. Taking on a very fancied Mayo side. Nice team named so hopefully it'll do the business."
Please how can you expect players tondo the business when they are so badly coached. The efforts at tackling in the minor match against Mayo were laughable. Didn't get to tonight's game but I expect it was the same.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 205 - 03/07/2019 21:24:09    2205153

Link

I am making no comment on the game this evening. I will leave the forum to the people who say that we have a good coaching structure and can't understand then why we are now Div 4.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 643 - 03/07/2019 23:54:16    2205243

Link

Replying To Maggiepie:  "Please how can you expect players tondo the business when they are so badly coached. The efforts at tackling in the minor match against Mayo were laughable. Didn't get to tonight's game but I expect it was the same."
It was pitiful. I looked at the team beforehand and thought we had a real shot but the effort and balance of the team was shocking. As soon as Mayo got any sort of a lead, the towel was thrown in.

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 62 - 04/07/2019 08:16:28    2205276

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I am making no comment on the game this evening. I will leave the forum to the people who say that we have a good coaching structure and can't understand then why we are now Div 4."
Coaching is one thing definitely but this group didn't look readily mentally either. A very good Mayo team but it could have easily been more if Mayo really wanted to push on for goals second half. Missing tackles, not chasing back, hands on hips at times. Too big of a stage for that

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 62 - 04/07/2019 08:20:04    2205278

Link

There's no excuse for such a terrible and emphatic loss. It's 15 vs 15 19/20 year olds. It's a disgrace where we are at. If you are getting such hidings from Mayo in u17 and u20 how in the name of god can you expect to see results in senior. What exactly are our games development coaches doing and why don't they have to answer for this? If I am not performing at work I get fired. Maybe it's time for a career change for some of those officers.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 256 - 04/07/2019 21:42:19    2205648

Link