Sligo Forum

Under 20'S

(Oldest Posts First)

Its great to see some of the youngsters such as Gaughan, O'connor and Carribine perform so well at senior level during the league. However it is highly likely that the 3 mentioned plus Kilgallon and Gordon will not be eligible to take part in the Connaght Under 20 championship under the new rules that were passed at congress. This new rule which penalises once again the so called weaker counties transform the Sligo Under 20 team from potentially a very good team to a very weak team. So should senior management release some or all of the players to play in their own age group or should they be retained in the senior squad?

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 255 - 27/04/2018 14:17:15    2095293

Link

Great point anto and a real dilemma. That woukd be a serious u20 team if everyone was available. I think they should let Gordon play as he hasnt really featured since the beginning of the league, Kilgallon is very much 2nd choice now so he wont be risked.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 173 - 30/04/2018 11:01:03    2095676

Link

Anto, its a good question,

The rule has been slightly altered recently from anyone named in the 26 for Championship to anyone who has actually played senior is ineligible.

I don't think its just a question for the Senior Management, the Players themselves have to be consulted or initiate it whilst CB should be involved in the decision too.

For me its a tough one, is the U20 our best chance of silverware?, probably, is it guaranteed success no. The only justification for it would be to go on and win Connacht imo. Those players who already have been outstanding not being available for the seniors would weakened us at that level.

London is a risky one either way but without some of the u20s could be the difference in winning and losing. We play Roscommon on June 2nd in the u20 Qtr with the Senior hopefully playing Mayo/Galway at home the day after. Could you risk not playing them against London and starting them against Roscommon in the u20 and bringing them on the day after if we get there.

Do the seniors believe they can win Connacht this year? As a starting point I would be tempted not to start any of the u20s against London and bring on if required and just leave it open for June 2nd.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1454 - 02/05/2018 20:20:04    2096301

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Anto, its a good question,

The rule has been slightly altered recently from anyone named in the 26 for Championship to anyone who has actually played senior is ineligible.

I don't think its just a question for the Senior Management, the Players themselves have to be consulted or initiate it whilst CB should be involved in the decision too.

For me its a tough one, is the U20 our best chance of silverware?, probably, is it guaranteed success no. The only justification for it would be to go on and win Connacht imo. Those players who already have been outstanding not being available for the seniors would weakened us at that level.

London is a risky one either way but without some of the u20s could be the difference in winning and losing. We play Roscommon on June 2nd in the u20 Qtr with the Senior hopefully playing Mayo/Galway at home the day after. Could you risk not playing them against London and starting them against Roscommon in the u20 and bringing them on the day after if we get there.

Do the seniors believe they can win Connacht this year? As a starting point I would be tempted not to start any of the u20s against London and bring on if required and just leave it open for June 2nd."
Gaughan, O'Connor and Carribine out of the under 20 championship game at the weekend due to that ridiculous rule brought in last year which again is detrimental to the weaker counties. Have we any chance against Roscommon on Friday night? None of their under 20 players played at the weekend.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 255 - 28/05/2018 14:07:00    2104758

Link

There is a good core group of players there and unsually for a Sligo team quite physically strong with the likes of barry Gorman, Frien, conan marren, evan lavin, red og, mikey Gordon training with the u20s and the seniors last week. Red og a finest doubt apparently too. Obviously the boys named are serious losses but im confident they'll put a good albeit a losing performance.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 173 - 29/05/2018 01:28:36    2105128

Link

Any idea what the starting team will be? I heard a lot of leaving cert lads have withdrawn.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 174 - 30/05/2018 22:46:36    2105776

Link

Strong team named considering the players missing with the seniors and I can think of atleast 5 others who were unlucky to miss out. Biggest concern is the FB line looks dodgy. Hopeful of a good performance best of luck to the team and management.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 173 - 02/06/2018 14:23:42    2106463

Link

Only one win in 3 years for cummins and barely bet leitrim last year , questions need to be asked as the players are there but the results aren't

Hj-89 (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 03/06/2018 11:24:54    2106693

Link

Replying To Hj-89:  "Only one win in 3 years for cummins and barely bet leitrim last year , questions need to be asked as the players are there but the results aren't"
Players need to be questioned more last night. Its was hard to believe how wasteful Sligo were in that 1st half last night against us who were all over the shop and where serious question marks are in place for our management for starting with such a team and having us so poorly organized 1st half.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2033 - 03/06/2018 13:33:30    2106739

Link

Red og Murphy is a great prospect for Sligo.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 930 - 03/06/2018 14:35:56    2106756

Link

Not a good weekend for Sligo and i take no joy with that with Sligo connections.
U20 was a strange game. Sligo were so dominant in the first half, butchered so many chances and should have put the game beyond us and i think they were demoralized by the missed chances.
Format is a nonsense particularly for counties with smaller population. You have to be able to play with your best players.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 177 - 03/06/2018 22:29:00    2107084

Link

I was leaving Salthill today and I overheard a man say it's ok we've Red Og coming through. He's a good one but he should be left alone and enjoy himself

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 174 - 03/06/2018 22:53:00    2107096

Link

Sligo 20s were weakened by that stupid rule. but not all is negative some fine performances from some of the younger lads. after that display in salthill form seniors they could do with taking more of them in. Simple as this Towey and Murphy need to be taken in to the panel.. only two that put in a bit of a fight. Both stood out a mile in the game v roscommon. Towey arguably fastest player ive come across, unstoppable breaking from the back line.. These talented players need to be show cased on big stages and its a pure same that this year went to waste. Two future stars of the game

SligoFan1212 (Sligo) - Posts: 1 - 04/06/2018 20:05:10    2107409

Link

Lesson that needs to be learned from last weekend is to leave the players who are eligible for Under 20 with their age group and not to promote these players until after under 20 has been completed. There is a greater chance of us winning provincial at that grade that at senior. There will be calls to promote Red Og to the senior panel next year, this should be resisted. Allow him to play in his own age group and to enjoy his football.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 255 - 06/06/2018 11:33:11    2107987

Link

Replying To Anto:  "Lesson that needs to be learned from last weekend is to leave the players who are eligible for Under 20 with their age group and not to promote these players until after under 20 has been completed. There is a greater chance of us winning provincial at that grade that at senior. There will be calls to promote Red Og to the senior panel next year, this should be resisted. Allow him to play in his own age group and to enjoy his football."
Agreed. He'll still be in school. He'll be playing of competitive football through that also

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 174 - 06/06/2018 12:01:41    2108013

Link

Roscommon a team we would of hammered out the gate had we had our full pick are now in the Final.(should of beaten them anyway) Another Connacht title possibly thrown away, remember this next year. We need to learn from our mistakes and given where the Seniors are it is a mistake. Seniors are not serious about winning Connacht at the minute and hiring Corey clearly CB arent serious either so we need to invest in u20s next year. Minors wont do too much this year but im told its a 2 year plan so hopefully in the next few matches we can be competitive and build some belief for next year.

Win or learn. Questionable whether we ever learn?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1454 - 14/06/2018 03:26:30    2111362

Link

Are senior Management over this team this year?

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 174 - 13/02/2019 23:40:20    2165227

Link

It has been very quiet on this

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 28 - 14/02/2019 10:35:04    2165260

Link