Monaghan Forum

Mckenna Cup 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Tyrone were streets ahead of us last night. We're playing these guys in just 2 weeks,but for real this time. There is no master plan to catch them out, if only. The mythical band of county quality players that MOR ignored hasn't appeared.
Someone mentioned about Hughes coming on for 5 minutes. Exactly what was that going to achieve? Apart from maybe letting him give a Tyrone player or 2, a score to settle in Blayney. What was the sense in it?
Didn't look much like the million dollar Banty dream team has done much work so far on how to kick the ball over the bar, instead of into the keepers arms
Its going to be a tough year, relegation beckons.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 367 - 19/01/2020 09:55:34    2260706

Link

Obviously this comes with the caveat that it was only the McKenna Cup but there very worrying signs last night. The only plus point was I thought the backs did very well.

I'm all for getting the ball into the full forward line as quickly as possible but not when the quality of the ball was as bad as it was last night and not when Tyrone had more players in the area we were kicking to. This was Croke Park 2013 all over again. It has little to do with the quality of player, Mansy is not going to win a kick passed ballooned down on top of him if all the main marker has to do is break the ball down to a waiting, free teammate.

Our shooting from 30/35 yards was deplorable. With better shooting we could easily have been a couple of points down or even level when we got that fortuitous goal that in truth took the bad look off the scoreboard but not the bad taste out of my mouth.

Kieran Hughes? I'd agree with above, there was absolutely no point bringing him on at that stage but we simply can't be having that petulant rubbish this year. The ball is 6 inches from going out for a Monaghan line ball and he needlessly pushes the Tyrone player in the back. And you know what was worse? You could see it coming. If Kieran had been on since the start and and was just knackered. Or if he was a kid who didn't know anything better. Then maybe you could see the reason. But he's neither of those things. He's a senior member of the panel and we need more from him in terms of performance and discipline.

If these games have any meaning surely they are to work on tactics etc? I was going to Galway, more in hope than in confidence but I'm just going now.
Galway away and Dublin away are 2 of our first 3 league games so Tyrone in Blayney in 14 days time is high noon.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 442 - 19/01/2020 12:24:11    2260731

Link

Agree with the last few posts , can give all the cavetets about only mc kenna cup ECT , but no system of play , and I know we were missing 10 or 11 of our first 15 , but have no idea what we were trying to do last night , teams in junior or intermediate in monaghan would at least know what they are trying to do !!
Going to be a long year I fear !

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 71 - 19/01/2020 12:27:24    2260732

Link

It was a tough watch last night now by all accounts. The lack of a game plan was unbelievable. It looks that we want to play a running game through the centre with intricate handpasses. Seriously is padraic Keenan going to be a serious running threat from half back in division 1? I like Carey at half back. One of our best players by a mile. Our full forward was far too slow for intercounty football. Thank God for mc carthy and he has it. He will play. It was a weird game. Why put Barry mc Bennett into full forward at the end? Obviously was to not play Hughes in full forward and to show our hand. We are far too slow coming out of defence and o Dowd Donnelly or mc alister didn't show the same ball winning ability in the half forward line that mc anespie, Carey and Malone would have. These young men didn't have to shoot the lights out last night. It would have been nice to see them win ball and give an option coming out of defence. The same way mc curry did in the second half where he won 3 or 4 balls in the same space we didn't have that and the only man for that job is mc carthy or woods. Our defending was hit and miss. Was annoyed how we let burns win every ball and didn't lay a hand on him. He's not a natural forward at all and we let him win ball. Compare that to our full forward who is a forward by trade and the difference last night is evident. Don't know why we didn't hit more long knockouts. With kearns in the middle we have a man that will dominate and we don't hit him. Instead go for a curved ball to the wing and get bottled up. We will struggle for scores this year a lot. And our defence is not as good as it was. Some times when Tyrone ran at us and they made a mistake we wer slow to push for the turnover, unlike a few years ago.when we were like a rash and those mistakes were turned over all the time.
What is the story with free kicks ? Do we not have a man in the county bar mc manus and Jack thst can kick 80-90% of frees ? It's worrying as seen mc carthy last night miss 2 adorable frees and carry barely get a 13 yard one.
I think division 1 is going to be a slog. We are going to rely on other teams playing poorly rather than us overpowering and dominating teams. We seem very predictable but maybe with a few Men back we will be able to integrate men like woods, mc carthy, mc Bennett, mc allister, mulligan, mc ginn and bannigan into the team as these are realistically the only new men that will push for places. Rest will be made up of the older lads.

monaghanmad (Monaghan) - Posts: 182 - 19/01/2020 12:40:43    2260736

Link

Poor showing last night.............at least we know now and before who will make it and who wont.

Remember 2013 McKenna cup final v Tyrone under Malachy,we got bet by 10 points with near a full team..............

6 months later we were Ulster Champions...

Keep the heads.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 19/01/2020 22:37:10    2260965

Link

Jesus there's been some tripe posted on this forum in the last 24 hrs after the showing in Armagh on saturday night.
The management gave McAllister, Donnelly, McEnaney, McBennett , Dowd and Keenan all a chance to stake a claim to
start in Salthill , none of them delivered. That what the McKenna cup is for to try out new players.
Rory Beggan , two Hughes, Carl O'Connell, Ryan McEnespie , Dermot Malone , Jack McCarron , Christopher McGuinness , Ciaran Duffy and Bannigan will all start against galway . that 10 changes from the team that started on saturday night.
this craic about no game plan is utter nonsense. the player on the field just weren't up to if. end of story.

latefortraining (Monaghan) - Posts: 46 - 20/01/2020 13:36:05    2261094

Link

Replying To latefortraining:  "Jesus there's been some tripe posted on this forum in the last 24 hrs after the showing in Armagh on saturday night.
The management gave McAllister, Donnelly, McEnaney, McBennett , Dowd and Keenan all a chance to stake a claim to
start in Salthill , none of them delivered. That what the McKenna cup is for to try out new players.
Rory Beggan , two Hughes, Carl O'Connell, Ryan McEnespie , Dermot Malone , Jack McCarron , Christopher McGuinness , Ciaran Duffy and Bannigan will all start against galway . that 10 changes from the team that started on saturday night.
this craic about no game plan is utter nonsense. the player on the field just weren't up to if. end of story."
I would agree totally with you, while I might not be bantys biggest fan and what he stands for on and off the pitch and how he got back into the job...........we need to get behind the team and move on.. I would never slate any guy for wanting to give up his free time to pull on a county or club jersey but it was obvious from Saturday night that we will be going back to the well with the same group of players but guess what so will 90% of inter county teams so were no different.. Like it or not time to accept that banty has got himself back into the managers seat so we need to suck it up and get to Galway and support the team sunday..

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 260 - 20/01/2020 17:46:00    2261158

Link

Replying To latefortraining:  "Jesus there's been some tripe posted on this forum in the last 24 hrs after the showing in Armagh on saturday night.
this craic about no game plan is utter nonsense. the player on the field just weren't up to if. end of story."
I agree none of new lads on display against Tyrone delivered but due to Singerson & under 20s commitments lads like Aaron Mulligan, Woods, McGinn, Gary Mohan, Mealiff and a fit again K Lavelle could make a mark this year !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 169 - 21/01/2020 00:16:43    2261242

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Obviously this comes with the caveat that it was only the McKenna Cup but there very worrying signs last night. The only plus point was I thought the backs did very well.

I'm all for getting the ball into the full forward line as quickly as possible but not when the quality of the ball was as bad as it was last night and not when Tyrone had more players in the area we were kicking to. This was Croke Park 2013 all over again. It has little to do with the quality of player, Mansy is not going to win a kick passed ballooned down on top of him if all the main marker has to do is break the ball down to a waiting, free teammate.

Our shooting from 30/35 yards was deplorable. With better shooting we could easily have been a couple of points down or even level when we got that fortuitous goal that in truth took the bad look off the scoreboard but not the bad taste out of my mouth.

Kieran Hughes? I'd agree with above, there was absolutely no point bringing him on at that stage but we simply can't be having that petulant rubbish this year. The ball is 6 inches from going out for a Monaghan line ball and he needlessly pushes the Tyrone player in the back. And you know what was worse? You could see it coming. If Kieran had been on since the start and and was just knackered. Or if he was a kid who didn't know anything better. Then maybe you could see the reason. But he's neither of those things. He's a senior member of the panel and we need more from him in terms of performance and discipline.

If these games have any meaning surely they are to work on tactics etc? I was going to Galway, more in hope than in confidence but I'm just going now.
Galway away and Dublin away are 2 of our first 3 league games so Tyrone in Blayney in 14 days time is high noon."
But Dublin are normally a banker for us for 2 points, at least the last two years..................

PearseBro (Monaghan) - Posts: 454 - 22/01/2020 12:48:22    2261535

Link