Leitrim Forum

North & South

(Oldest Posts First)

Interesting article on coaching structures in Mayo in today's paper, they are divided into 4 geographic regions from U-14 onwards. From a practical point of view would this be worth considering in Leitrim; two centres of excellence with one based in Manor for the Northern clubs and another in Carrick or Annaduff for the South? It's a 110 mile round trip from Kinlough to Annaduff and with a dual set-up no young player or indeed their parents would spend more than half an hour traveling to training.

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 17/09/2016 19:14:33    1915409

Link

I do believe the county board provides a bus service for all young players, (regardless from where in the county they are travelling from), that collects them and brings them to the center of excellence in Annaduff for training and brings them home after. Parents only have to drop their young lads off at their designated pick up point (which I believe is their local GAA field) and pick them up after. Standards are improving and this is an excellent service - no need for two training centers as you say

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 19/09/2016 09:05:47    1916016

Link

The lack of public frustration displayed by our county board with regards to funding for underage development is annoying to say the least. A few months back there was a big spread in the Observer about how they had set up a "Build Committee" and one of the main targets of this initiative was to secure funding from the Gaa and other sources for 6 full time coaches. As far as I know they have received funding for one such coach - James Glancy who is meant to be brilliant and has great experience in Dublin. It is all well and good having big county board meetings about restructuring our systems like last week but if the talent which is there isn't coached to a good standard systems will only make a small difference. The chairman backed by local media should come out and publicly challenge Croke Park on this issue. I know that its not an easy thing to do but it is an ideal time with the wind fall the Gaa has received from the All Ireland replay and all of the talk of how the Gaa was going to support weaker counties. I feel it would easily gain traction in national media and therefore pressurize Croke Park into acting.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 19/09/2016 13:56:10    1916279

Link