Leitrim Forum

New Leitrim Manager

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Disturbing to hear concerns raised by many the football supporter about the politicised manner in the ratification of the new management team. Questions that have not been properly addressed in relation to why John O Mahony wasn't given the job as manager if he is going to give the commitment that has been suggested by the County Board. How the present manager overcame better managers with far better recent records as managers in club management. Also there is unrest among a lot of clubs about how the Co Board came to their decision when they responded to certain questions from the floor with the reply that the information was privileged. This is simply not good enough, It looks like the Co Board used a whip system to ensure the vote was passed instead of listening to the concerns in what is meant to be a democratic process. If this fails which I think it will then all the top table officers should resign immediately. I hope the good candidates that didn't make it are not permanently deterred from seeking what is anything but a plum job, But it is a job where the profile of a manager could be raised because we are rock bottom and a few wins could be seen as progress. Wish them the best of luck but not overly excited.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 12/09/2016 17:07:37    1913181

Link

Replying To po3nmotion:  "Disturbing to hear concerns raised by many the football supporter about the politicised manner in the ratification of the new management team. Questions that have not been properly addressed in relation to why John O Mahony wasn't given the job as manager if he is going to give the commitment that has been suggested by the County Board. How the present manager overcame better managers with far better recent records as managers in club management. Also there is unrest among a lot of clubs about how the Co Board came to their decision when they responded to certain questions from the floor with the reply that the information was privileged. This is simply not good enough, It looks like the Co Board used a whip system to ensure the vote was passed instead of listening to the concerns in what is meant to be a democratic process. If this fails which I think it will then all the top table officers should resign immediately. I hope the good candidates that didn't make it are not permanently deterred from seeking what is anything but a plum job, But it is a job where the profile of a manager could be raised because we are rock bottom and a few wins could be seen as progress. Wish them the best of luck but not overly excited."
Any truth that the ccc had votes to push this over the line? If so strange way to do business.

user.name (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 12/09/2016 20:44:23    1913253

Link

Guckian is a strange choice given the selectors also chosen. I wouldn't doubt that there wasn't much interest in the job either. I wish them the best of luck but I'm not overly optimistic.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 12/09/2016 22:09:10    1913303

Link

Firstly it is healthy that leitrim supporters are passionate about Leitrim football and the appointment of the Management team.
At the start of the process many people doubted if there would be any interest in the job .The opposite was the case and it is good that so many of the 94 team were willing to take on Leitrim when it's fortunes are so low.

From what I can see a process was undertaken and a decision was made.Most people I have spoken to are very happy with the decision.People outside Leitim think it is a real coup to have O Mahony involved in a hands on way.

I am really disappointed by the posts which which seem to to attempt undermine the new set up before they get a chance get their work underway.

What in the name of God are you trying to do? The new management team have a huge challenge to lift Leitrim from 32nd in the country to a situation where we are competitive .Yes we have good young talent with potential but they need nurturing and encouragement.

The campaign to undermine the new management will only make the task more challenging. What effect will it have on the players ,particularly those that they might wish to entice to play for their county.

What is is purpose of these posts? What will they do to help make Leitrim a success?

We are a small county and our only chance of achieving anything is by pulling together.Let the new team be judged on their results but please give them time.

So please stop the negative vitriol and let the new team get on with it.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 12/09/2016 22:40:22    1913315

Link

there was no process in this appointment , the dogs in the street know this was a done deal before shane ward left. nothing against the men coming in and the best of luck to them, they are going to need it. I honestly don't know what o'mahoney is doing on the ticket, just a name to please the masses, Why didn't he go forward as manager??? i think it is because he will have a limited involvement. O'mahoney had a similar role in recent years with Carlow or wicklow which didn't pull up any trees. Leitrim football is at a low ebb and will continue to be so until underage structures/coaching issues are addressed. i hope that the new mgt team can take us forward , but they have a pretty limited group to work with and 4th maybe 3rd placed finish is the best they can hope for in div 4 based on what is available, I wish them well. on another point I often here people talking on here about the diehard leitrim supporters, diehard???? they must be an endangered species if attendances at pairc sean for the national league are anything to go by, diehards are few and far between in leitrim, we have lots of fairwether supporters .................

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 431 - 13/09/2016 13:19:11    1913577

Link

Replying To joeman123:  "Firstly it is healthy that leitrim supporters are passionate about Leitrim football and the appointment of the Management team.
At the start of the process many people doubted if there would be any interest in the job .The opposite was the case and it is good that so many of the 94 team were willing to take on Leitrim when it's fortunes are so low.

From what I can see a process was undertaken and a decision was made.Most people I have spoken to are very happy with the decision.People outside Leitim think it is a real coup to have O Mahony involved in a hands on way.

I am really disappointed by the posts which which seem to to attempt undermine the new set up before they get a chance get their work underway.

What in the name of God are you trying to do? The new management team have a huge challenge to lift Leitrim from 32nd in the country to a situation where we are competitive .Yes we have good young talent with potential but they need nurturing and encouragement.

The campaign to undermine the new management will only make the task more challenging. What effect will it have on the players ,particularly those that they might wish to entice to play for their county.

What is is purpose of these posts? What will they do to help make Leitrim a success?

We are a small county and our only chance of achieving anything is by pulling together.Let the new team be judged on their results but please give them time.

So please stop the negative vitriol and let the new team get on with it."
Negative vitriol ?

Nah just looking for transparency in the so called process

I'll ask again what has omahony committed to ?

Have delegates been misled as given the undercurrent going on here as Leitrim Gaels we have a right to know

Btw nothing against those coming in just seems too many unanswered questions

user.name (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 13/09/2016 14:07:16    1913633

Link

God lads ye are hard to please. Heard them on Shannonside last night with john Lynch and they made a lot of sense. Any manager with two All Ireland titles on board has to be welcomed.

Rossman74 (Roscommon) - Posts: 6 - 13/09/2016 19:06:04    1913845

Link

Really wish them well but ever since I heard this I can't help being reminded of the Steve Staunton Bobby Robson combo that took over the international Soccer team over a decade ago. Benny has no managerial background worth talking about and I remain to be convinced that O Mahoney will have anything more than a token role. Still there wasn't a long queue for the job so good luck to them.

TheCartownBus2 (Leitrim) - Posts: 30 - 13/09/2016 19:37:15    1913864

Link

I am a committed Leitrim Fan, I go when I can. Why not highlight inadequacies in a system as soon as you know rather than waiting when a failed appointment occurs. That wastes my time and the time of the young players who give up their time for very little reward. No point calling out people for just having a differing opinion to you as upstarts when quite clearly there is something stink about the appointment. As one poster suggested it is like the Steve Staunton appointment in many ways and we saw how that went. Good players should not be given a free pass when they quite clearly are not up to the task of managing. I just would love to know what separated each candidate to make the county board go with the present one. That to me seems a fair question, bullet points on each team interviewed and why they didn't feel they were up to the job would have left the more cynical of us a lot more appeased. Not much to ask. Then we could argue rightly or wrongly whether the choice was right. But the floor voting were not privy to it and that just is not right. And it is true, 6 weeks ago I heard who was been chosen and that all other candidates were wasting their time. In the next 2 years we could miss on these candidates because some other big club/county team could pick them up and with the flawed process this time they may never seek the position again. The big picture is what I look at, not small triumphs that lead to nothing.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 14/09/2016 00:08:04    1914048

Link

Replying To po3nmotion:  "I am a committed Leitrim Fan, I go when I can. Why not highlight inadequacies in a system as soon as you know rather than waiting when a failed appointment occurs. That wastes my time and the time of the young players who give up their time for very little reward. No point calling out people for just having a differing opinion to you as upstarts when quite clearly there is something stink about the appointment. As one poster suggested it is like the Steve Staunton appointment in many ways and we saw how that went. Good players should not be given a free pass when they quite clearly are not up to the task of managing. I just would love to know what separated each candidate to make the county board go with the present one. That to me seems a fair question, bullet points on each team interviewed and why they didn't feel they were up to the job would have left the more cynical of us a lot more appeased. Not much to ask. Then we could argue rightly or wrongly whether the choice was right. But the floor voting were not privy to it and that just is not right. And it is true, 6 weeks ago I heard who was been chosen and that all other candidates were wasting their time. In the next 2 years we could miss on these candidates because some other big club/county team could pick them up and with the flawed process this time they may never seek the position again. The big picture is what I look at, not small triumphs that lead to nothing."
None of the other candidates mentioned that lost out will be getting any big club or county job

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 14/09/2016 09:51:31    1914089

Link

Listen the management team is in place now let's support them they will judged on results and performances.

In my opinion getting the undgerage and club structures set up correctly is every bit as important as the senior team.

Leitrim supporters are realistic there won't be any negativity towards the group if the performances are there.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 14/09/2016 11:07:14    1914113

Link

Look I think its pretty clear to see that the process was flawed and in the future this may come back to haunt the county board. This is evident with a member of the management team already dropping off citing "Work Commitments" which i'm pretty sure would not have changed in a few days sense he was announced. I'm just hoping Rooney and Gary Donoghoe keep faith in Leitrim and will want to be a part of the set up in future teams.

One other thing I do not agree with is the appointing of the senior management as the U21 even though there will be a big crossover. It smacks of cost saving to me and means that when the management changes both set ups are effected and there can be no progression for coaches.

However, Its not going to change now and it has to be said it is a strong management team in place if O'Mahony is there 90% of the time. They need to get all last years senior and u21 players into a meeting and set out their plans asap. A strength and conditioning plan needs to be started immediately and new players blooded. Between the senior and U21 panels I would hope up on 50 players are developed over the winter and then chosen for each team with the ones dropping off being monitored and brought in occasionally for training games and for the Leitrim junior set up. This I feel would benefit club teams in the long run. Even appointing a new captain who is relatively young and will be on the team for the next few years could be important which is no reflection on Reynolds just something I feel should be done. Conlan, McGuire or Moran strike me as the best options.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 15/09/2016 12:48:06    1914593

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "Look I think its pretty clear to see that the process was flawed and in the future this may come back to haunt the county board. This is evident with a member of the management team already dropping off citing "Work Commitments" which i'm pretty sure would not have changed in a few days sense he was announced. I'm just hoping Rooney and Gary Donoghoe keep faith in Leitrim and will want to be a part of the set up in future teams.

One other thing I do not agree with is the appointing of the senior management as the U21 even though there will be a big crossover. It smacks of cost saving to me and means that when the management changes both set ups are effected and there can be no progression for coaches.

However, Its not going to change now and it has to be said it is a strong management team in place if O'Mahony is there 90% of the time. They need to get all last years senior and u21 players into a meeting and set out their plans asap. A strength and conditioning plan needs to be started immediately and new players blooded. Between the senior and U21 panels I would hope up on 50 players are developed over the winter and then chosen for each team with the ones dropping off being monitored and brought in occasionally for training games and for the Leitrim junior set up. This I feel would benefit club teams in the long run. Even appointing a new captain who is relatively young and will be on the team for the next few years could be important which is no reflection on Reynolds just something I feel should be done. Conlan, McGuire or Moran strike me as the best options."
Which member has already dropped off?

LovelyLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 111 - 15/09/2016 14:33:09    1914631

Link

Leitrim are doomed sadly, numbers and money dictating the GAA more than ever. I don't believe the "Dream team" will achieve a lot. Apart from beating Carlow, Waterford and Wicklow and that assumes home fixtures in those games, it's hard to see much joy in any other games. Still best of luck to them, no glory in these kinds of jobs.

festy_o_semtex (UK) - Posts: 67 - 16/09/2016 18:31:04    1915196

Link

Replying To festy_o_semtex:  "Leitrim are doomed sadly, numbers and money dictating the GAA more than ever. I don't believe the "Dream team" will achieve a lot. Apart from beating Carlow, Waterford and Wicklow and that assumes home fixtures in those games, it's hard to see much joy in any other games. Still best of luck to them, no glory in these kinds of jobs."
lets get back to basics ......Get team as fit as possible....focus on fitness and power
Focus on the league ...only league ..thats our championship
A good league is only way forward ,,what happens in championship is bonus
Forget about psychologists etc. Focus on players abilities
Take teams on ( when fit ) not defending leads and falling back
Always remember the players have another life and its not booth camp
They need to enjoy training , matches etc to fill their potential
All done, winning brings momentum, confidence and success
But please stop focusing on the Championship
We are Leitrim

TwoFeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 20 - 20/09/2016 21:56:23    1917193

Link