Leitrim Forum

Sligo v Leitrim

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Another black day for Leitrim football. Been to many at senior level over the last few years. The simple facts are that Shane Wards management team had a stronger panel of players this year than last and an extra year under his regime to attempt to get used to his ideas. It is clear that Wards coaching and management has not improved the panel but in fact has gone backwords this year. I refuse to conform to the argument that the players are not there. As a county we do not expect Connacht titles or All Ireland titles but the minimum requirement is to be competitive which we have not been. Ward was brought in by the county board after one victory with the U21s and his supposed knowledge of the "Donegal way" which was to be more defensive and in vogue at the time. However, after 2 years of his coaching we are conceding more than ever and our attackers have lost all confidence. There is a strong base of committed players to work with there I feel with many at a brilliant age to start to build at, Flynn, Murphy, McHugh, McGuire, Michael/Sean McWeeney, S,Quinn, Wrynn, Moran, Rooney, Plunkett, Gaffney, Pearce Dolan, Mulligan, Conlan Kennedy. Some may disagree but these players have either shown at underage in the past few years for Leitrim or at College Level were some have excelled even against players from so called stronger counties. I'm not saying we should be beating teams like Sligo out the gate but we should be atleast 50/50 with them and most definitely have the talent to finally get out of Division four which is massive for our development.
Even if some may not like it to be said Ward's closeness to the Manor set up has to be questioned so it was no surprise to hear Glancy support/defend him on the radio.
Over the last 3-4 years at both u21 and minor our teams have been beating Sligo teams on a regular basis and only two years ago our county champions bet theirs in Sligo so we have the ability.
One final point, today I feel for the likes of Barry Prior, Darren Sweeney, Ronan Gallagher who have all given massive service to Leitrim for very little rewards and will probably call it a day. Bar Prior maybe who was there for the good days with Des Dolan but even within the county some scoff at the level of commitment that these lads give for Leitrim which is immense.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 05/07/2016 14:08:06    1876811

Link

Another black day for Leitrim football. Been to many at senior level over the last few years. The simple facts are that Shane Wards management team had a stronger panel of players this year than last and an extra year under his regime to attempt to get used to his ideas. It is clear that Wards coaching and management has not improved the panel but in fact has gone backwords this year. I refuse to conform to the argument that the players are not there. As a county we do not expect Connacht titles or All Ireland titles but the minimum requirement is to be competitive which we have not been. Ward was brought in by the county board after one victory with the U21s and his supposed knowledge of the "Donegal way" which was to be more defensive and in vogue at the time. However, after 2 years of his coaching we are conceding more than ever and our attackers have lost all confidence. There is a strong base of committed players to work with there I feel with many at a brilliant age to start to build at, Flynn, Murphy, McHugh, McGuire, Michael/Sean McWeeney, S,Quinn, Wrynn, Moran, Rooney, Plunkett, Gaffney, Pearce Dolan, Mulligan, Conlan Kennedy. Some may disagree but these players have either shown at underage in the past few years for Leitrim or at College Level were some have excelled even against players from so called stronger counties. I'm not saying we should be beating teams like Sligo out the gate but we should be atleast 50/50 with them and most definitely have the talent to finally get out of Division four which is massive for our development.
Even if some may not like it to be said Ward's closeness to the Manor set up has to be questioned so it was no surprise to hear Glancy support/defend him on the radio.
Over the last 3-4 years at both u21 and minor our teams have been beating Sligo teams on a regular basis and only two years ago our county champions bet theirs in Sligo so we have the ability.
One final point, today I feel for the likes of Barry Prior, Darren Sweeney, Ronan Gallagher who have all given massive service to Leitrim for very little rewards and will probably call it a day. Bar Prior maybe who was there for the good days with Des Dolan but even within the county some scoff at the level of commitment that these lads give for Leitrim which is immense.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 05/07/2016 14:08:53    1876814

Link

honestly couldn't give a monkeys who is in charge of the county team, drastic measures needed in the development of players at underage level leitrim to feed into the county set up first. leitrim have been in Div 4 for several years now , successive managers, Hagan, Ward, Breen /dugdale have not been able to change to that. so what is the common denominator???? it is the players, people will happily round on the manager of the day and say it is his fault instead of looking at the players. spend a few weekends going around club games in leitrim and try to pick out the county players playing for their clubs? I have been to club games in other counties and the county men will generally stand out when playing for their clubs, not the case in leitrim because the standard of club player is very equal, and the standard unfortunately is low, very low. You can have mickey quinn, niall quinn or even the mighty quinn in charge of the county team, little will change without the emergence of players from a properly structured underage coaching system.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 431 - 06/07/2016 15:46:28    1877403

Link

Cant believe Gary Reynolds interview in the paper this week, how you can defend the management is beyond me. Also a lot of talk about the so called talent we have in the current squad, where is it? I haven't seen it in any games this year. Maybe its evident at training against themselves but when we come up against other teams our talent looks very ordinary

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 07/07/2016 11:49:48    1877803

Link

Gary reyolds was only half fit and ward played him ,so gary is repaying him .Anyone that was at the Sligo game would see just how unfit we are as a team so on that note ward has to go or he will play the full manor team next year.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 07/07/2016 19:49:12    1878121

Link

Replying To saintly:  "Gary reyolds was only half fit and ward played him ,so gary is repaying him .Anyone that was at the Sligo game would see just how unfit we are as a team so on that note ward has to go or he will play the full manor team next year."
It is time that the counties in div 4 faced up to reality and agreed to a compt

for a new trophy which i would call sam og , and the final played either on all ireland day

or on the eve of the football final , this would give them a level playing pitch , i would also include
the bottom 4 of div 3 in this compt . these hamerings that they presently receive is not good for
players or supporters and only demoralises both , so once out of their provincial championship
let them commence this . so swallow our pride and go with it . div 4 games are all very close , so lets get on with it

downside (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 08/07/2016 19:55:28    1878652

Link

Longfords win tonight and Fermanaghs performance today show that small counties can be competitive if they are organised and well managed. Our resources and pick would be roughly the same as ours so what are they doing that we're not? Every neighbouring county is doing better than us and it's a tough time to support our county

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 09/07/2016 22:34:31    1879617

Link

Just in response to this talk of a b championship is no good because none of the teams want it,and to say div 3 teams should be in it is wrong because out of the 17 teams left (Clare v Laois)today 6 teams are in div3,5from doc 2,and 6 from div 1,and included in that is Westmeath who are in Leinster final,all div 4 teams are gone ....does that not tell its own story

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 89 - 10/07/2016 09:19:28    1879789

Link

Don't worry, the necessary changes are being made at club and county level. The amount of work being done behind the scenes lately is unbelievable, it's what other counties have being doing for years. This work is not noticeable now, but it's progress in the right direction. Changing the manager is not the answer- changing the way each club approaches the coaching, development and commitment of players is the answer and Leitrim are moving towards that system whereby clubs train at a county standard.

Don't expect Leitrim to have a good team until at least ten years time lads so the struggle will continue for a lot longer and may get worse before better , but it will get better. We will be competitive with anyone 10 or 15 years from now. Change is coming, the change is good - be patient

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 10/07/2016 09:30:47    1879798

Link

We have a lot to do from a coaching and financial perspective. I've said it on this forum many times.

We have to stop settling for what we have and go after what we want. Get aggressive in terms of attracting money.

Club Rossie template, Naming Rights to Pairc Sean, chase the Leitrim GAA money men in London and the US.

Never mind this bragging about using 34 players throughout the League. We know who the best players in the county are. Get them on the panel. Get our young 20 year olds who will thrive off 3 years with the Seniors, the likes of J Heslin, K Keegan, R O'Rourke, D Rooney, D McGovern in there now and have them ready for 3 years time.

Get the hell out of Div 4 and try to stay out. THAT HAS TO BE THE PRIORITY. Forget about Connacht for the Short Term. Then after 2/3 years you target Sligo / London in a Connacht Semi and bang, your in the last 12 of the All Ireland

Longford's win yesterday against Monaghan throws our current status in sharp relief. At the start of the year Dennis Connerton was bemoaning the amount of players who had declined to join the panel. They won yesterday without the services of very good players. They have a system and they play to it.

I'm not sure about Shane Ward. I understand the sentiment that changing the manager will not be an answer in the long term, and many are portraying it as a knee jerk. However;

He tried to justify a tame, tame, win over a Waterford team who had been hurling for three weeks as 'progress' in a post Sligo match interview.

He said the players basically beat themselves, when he sends out a team devoid of fight or a discernible game plan, or way of defending.

He is on record on the Matt Cooper's Friday sports slot prior to the Roscommon game saying that Leitrim didn't target the league and that they can put it up to any team on a given day.

If he honestly, genuinely, can point to his record on the field over his reign as say he has improved / developed Leitrim than he is deluded or lying or both.

He has pointed to the amount of new players introduced to the set up, and the off field progress - any manager will set about introducing new and younger players. That happens by necessity as opposed to because of most management set ups.

The level of regression has been very concerning.

I'm don't think im being overly harsh here, I am just pointing out facts. I think he has the potential to be a good manager. The players clearly respect him. He is on the circuit now, he could easily get a job with an inter county Minor or U21 set up. Maybe he needs to go and hone his skills a bit more.

We need to go to a manager with a proven record in the qualifiers and pay him whatever to come here and progress the whole set up. We are as well to be paying for champagne as sparkling water.

Get rid of the jobs for the boys attitude to appointing Co. 'U16 and Minor' set ups also.

Clubs and County board really have to ask themselves the hard questions and change how we do football in the County or we will never progress.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 10/07/2016 22:17:06    1880494

Link

Leitrim County board in my opinion need to make a decision soon on whether they retain Ward for another year or go with someone new.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 11/07/2016 13:08:38    1880900

Link

Its very simple, most counties have their best players playing for them, in leitrim at the moment that is not the case, several current club players should be playing county football, but they have no interest in it, and until that changes we our going no where.

coldfeet (Leitrim) - Posts: 53 - 12/07/2016 09:48:33    1881555

Link

Personally I'm sad to see ward go. I know results haven't gone his way of late but he never gave less than 110%. Moving forward I certainly don't think there'll be a long queue when the county board are holding interviews. Best of luck to Shane ward in the future none of us can take away from the lift he gave us when the u21's beat galway a few years ago.

Agreenfuture (Leitrim) - Posts: 5 - 12/07/2016 21:55:11    1882174

Link

Good luck to Ward for the future, but right decision to step down. We were going nowhere with him.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 13/07/2016 08:43:55    1882309

Link

Replying To Agreenfuture:  "Personally I'm sad to see ward go. I know results haven't gone his way of late but he never gave less than 110%. Moving forward I certainly don't think there'll be a long queue when the county board are holding interviews. Best of luck to Shane ward in the future none of us can take away from the lift he gave us when the u21's beat galway a few years ago."
Wish him well but glad to see him make the right decision stepping down. The fact that you have said he gave us a great lift when we beat Galway two years ago shows that we have had no achievements under his two year term at senior level.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 13/07/2016 09:32:43    1882325

Link

Ward had to go simple as

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 13/07/2016 15:45:36    1882607

Link