Kiltubrid; Martin Dolan
Leitrim Gaels; Tommy Flynn
Mohill; Pauric Davis
Melvin Gaels; Liam Gilmartin
St Marys; Ciaran Reynolds, Joe Flynn Jr
St Osnetts;

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 11/02/2016 13:28:34    1824688

Link

The current league and championship structures won't help raise the standard any time soon, far too many teams in their comfort zone in both competitions. There are not 12 'senior' teams in Leitrim, perhaps 8 at a stretch (and with some amalgamations)

League and championship should be linked; for example 8 teams to compete in div 1 over 7 weekends between April and July with bottom two sides relegated, not just to division 2 but also to inter championship for that year. This would ensure a hugely competitive league with no dead rubbers as is currently the case, it would also keep players active with more meaningful games in the season. Two new teams coming up from division 2/intermediate every year would also freshen up the championship no end and there would be less of a gulf between the 8 competing teams. For championship just go straight to quarter final knockout in August via an open draw, so winner takes all on the day, now that I could excited about especially when compared to the current drawn out charade.

For the early part of the year scrap the current shield and run North Leitrim (one group) and South Leitrim (2 groups) cup competitions, nothing like a bit of local rivalry with some silverware at stake to get the competitive juices flowing! The two winners could then play for a county shield title, lots for the club player to get their teeth into and all competitions could be wrapped up by September

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 12/02/2016 19:17:48    1824996

Link

There are a few problems with your suggestion, one you are reducing the amount of games dramatically, which in turns reduces co board revenue as well as decreasing the chance of players improving. Secondly while I agree league div 1 teams should be the only teams in senior championship you would need a full year sorting out the present mess. Home and away league fixtures would bring league games up to 14 games each in 8 team leagues. Two groups of four in championship 3 games for each team top two qualify for semi finals. No relegation from championship two down from league, one up from inter championship and one up from div 2 league. The most consistent teams throughout the year survive. Amalgamations are a short term solution, the teams in Kerry that amalgamate are poorly populated but still manage to be very competitive in junior club competitions nationally. We can't afford to reduce our playing population by even ten players. Attitude is key.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 12/02/2016 20:46:14    1825017

Link

Po3 we currently have a league with 11 rounds that takes us 8 months to finish how do you expect us to finish a 14 round home and away type system.

It is also clear that clubs in Leitrim do not want league and championship linked whatsoever.

A motion was passed this year to relegate 3 and promote 2 teams this year and next year across all leagues to have the leagues at 10 teams each with semi finals and finals and promotion / relegation playoffs between second from bottom and league runners up from 2018 onwards.

That in theory should make the league more competitive but an alternate shield competition needs to be considered.

Not enough meaningful games at club level at the minute

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 13/02/2016 16:13:34    1825099

Link

The Shield should be scrapped completely in it's current format.

We play the same teams year in year out. We know who's going to be playing in the same position they always play on the opposition. Unless it's the championship or a meaningful league game it's boring and routine. Clubs love challenge matches with teams from outside the county. It's always a great challenge and a good measure of where they are at. Challenge matches are great but hard to organise.

My suggestion is a non county players Táin league. Say we get the Longford and Sligo county boards on board. Sligo and Longford for arguments sake because they don't tend to make it that much closer to September than we do. 10 weeks of consecutive club games playing games against teams outside Leitrim, from lets say May to mid July.

I completely agree with the message of club players want more games. But Club officials don't want to play league games without county players. I say let the county panel do their own thing for a ten week period. Let the club players play games every week for those weeks.

Who doesn't love playing a team they have never played before and know nothing about. It's exciting.

It would be very challenging in terms of administration, but it could be so worthwhile. I'll also admit it would take a good few years to work out scheduling kinks and get teams seeded into different divisions properly. I'll also wholeheartedly admit this is very ideal world type stuff.

premiumrashers (Leitrim) - Posts: 48 - 13/02/2016 21:31:48    1825194

Link

The League starts a month from today and with little chance of clubs training with their county players prior to then. Congress had a chance to fix this problem and disregarded what was best for the players so the status quo remained. This is where co boards should take the reins and curb the control of county managers. It's saddening to see the whole club scene being denigrated to what it's become. Smart or selfish clubs would be wiser trying to prohibit their players who they nurtured joining up with county squads.
The shield with all its faults at least gets lads games but as seen in results recently the big clubs are fielding weakened teams due to their players being involved in county minor u21 hurling and senior squads. It equates to junior b teams with 4-5 senior players. Is it any real benefit to the good club player, probably not. It's a token gesture.
As suggested here before a regional competition might improve things but remember that this again will lead to clubs losing more of their players for longer each year. That can't auger well for the club. Radical thinking needed fast.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 08/03/2016 16:02:37    1832404

Link

Agree with everything the last poster has said. There has already been talk that two leading club managers are putting pressure on their county players to leave the inter-county squad as they have been seeing little or no game time. However, I do feel this should be the best year for club football in years. Mohill, The Willies and Manor are the Three clear favorites. Hopefully the likes of Carrick and Drumshanbo get their act together as they have loads of talent but fail or don't commit fully every year. I Also feel the likes of Gortletragh, Melvin Gaels, Dromahair and even Aughnasheelin on their day can test most teams. The problem is outside of that the quality of players and coaching is very very poor. Something needs to be done very quickly. I feel a paid position of a director of Football could be a soloution who overseas all the structures in the county working off a template from counties such as Tipp, Ross, Cavan and so forth. Massive need for more than the two coaches which are currently in the county. I see James Glancy is in a position like this in Dublin, pity the county board dont have the ability to get these people involved in Leitrim's youth development.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 08/03/2016 19:18:55    1832495

Link

There lies the problem, the jobs usually are kept among the boys, so while you have a good idea there can't see it coming to pass. The clubs you mention have good players but Gortletteragh, Annaduff, st Caillins and Leitrim Gaels all have great young players coming through so with right people running the county squads there is no reason we couldn't be more competitive at all grades.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 08/03/2016 21:45:29    1832605

Link