Leitrim Forum

Senior and Intermediate Championship 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Awful game but when teams put so much effort into defence and are not very adventurous in attack then hard to sympathise with them when they get robbed in the last second. Better team lost tonight but on the whole over the 2 games best team has won so their is justice. Mohill have a lot to do before they tackle Connacht. They might be better served with patience than kicking in aimless balls to Kennedy and Beirne who have little threat in the air.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 03/10/2015 20:04:46    1795532

Link

Eddie 1 here

Well,well,well.

For the neutral supporter this match was a bad as it gets. 3 points to 2 at half time in favour of Manor. Full time 1-4 Mohill, 0-6 Manor , in other words 5 points in total scored in the second half up to the 60th minute and then a goal.

Three out the total of 10 points were scored by backs-Ronan Gallagher, Paddy Maguire, Dominic Kelly and midfielder Daren Sweeney with a 45.
Mohill forwards were finding it impossible to score with the exception Keith Beirne with 3 points.
Manor forwards scored 3 points - Ronan Flynn, Adrian Croal, Conor Dolan.

The scoring details tell the story of the game, mass defences, hand passing, maybe 15 wides between the teams, kicks falling short in to the keepers hands, it was woeful. Where was the spark going to come from?.

For Manor Croal & Maguire were excellent and the two men who stood head and shoulders above everyone else for Mohill were Ronan Gallagher ( Man of the Match) and Michael McGuinness the Mohill left corner back.
McGuniness's first half performance was as fine a corner back performance as any supporter could see.

The match trudged along with Manor supporters getting excited with the final whistle looming and 2 points up and the Mohill supporters in despair counting the wasted chances, resigned to losing and despairing they did not win the first day. And then , Ronan Kennedy stepped up and put the ball in the Manor net with the last kick of the game. Well the Mohill supporters and subs in the stands went absolutely ape shit. One supporter jumped from the stand straight on to the pitch. Unbelievable.

Mohill's Captain Danny Beck got his hands on the cup. Their strength in depth of the Mohill panel is better than most clubs. Over the semi-final , final & replay the substitutions were the difference with Keith keegan in the Semi Final, Oisin & Eanna Madden in the final and Donal Flynn yesterday making significant contributions to Mohill's victories.

Maybe time has caught up on Manor and some of their distinguished players. They won championships in 2008,2009,2010, & 2011 and have been a credit to Leitrim football. That is some record. Mohill have now won one with a very young team and can now go on repeat Manor's success. A bunch of players comes along in a club once or twice in a lifetime. That club in Leitrim is now Mohill.

For the moment Mohill can celebrate an unbelievable victory and every Mohill supporter present will forever remember the day Ronan Kennedy put the ball in the Manor net. I have never seen such joy at the final whistle.

Finally it was great to see the former Mohill & Leitrrim legend Packy McGarty present. Packy as a player and supporter has witnessed more defeats that victories . After the game Packy said in all years playing and watching football he had never seen anything like it and that is saying something. Enough said

The party has began

Eddie 1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 04/10/2015 11:54:47    1795592

Link

Leitrim football makes me want to emigrate

What in god's name was that yesterday? Our county champions went 60 mins and all they managed was 4 points? disgusting stuff. Manor were every bit as guilty. In my mind nobody was worthy of a championship medal after contributing to such an embarrassment of a game. I was delighted to see Mohill's goal go in, the only time the game actually made me sit up. Dreadful stuff, I feel no sympathy for manor, how can a team have the ball in their hands with about 7 seconds left in the county final when they're two points up and manage to lose? We are going nowhere fast a a county and anyone who's life revolves around football around here will need to take a strong look in the mirror after yesterday, is it worth it? I'm going out on a limb here and will say that i can't image the standard of football in Leitrim is that much higher than the standard of Hurling. Both equally shocking and so far off the quality of other counties. I can't think of the last time we've had a good game at the business end of senior championship, and the way things are going it'll be a while before I see one either. Dirt.

clubbrolly (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 04/10/2015 14:18:45    1795622

Link

The Derry final on tg4 isn't a whole pile better. But I do agree. Club football is the worst I've seen it and I'm on the go a while. Mohill don't care though and I'm happy they won. This might spell the end of manor as we've known them over the last few years. A lot of miles on the clock and it'll be hard for some to come back after that. Manor won 4 in a row and never won a game in Connacht. That says a lot about our club scene too. The championship has to be looked at. Having 1 team going down isn't enough. There's too many weak teams in it.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 253 - 04/10/2015 15:31:39    1795641

Link

A fiercely overrated team are Glencar Manor; the fact that they were less than a minute from a 5th title in recent times says it all.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 04/10/2015 21:13:27    1795758

Link

Delighted for Mohill , when all looked lost after wasting so many chances , they never gave up and even though he was playing badly all game, Ronan Kennedy showed his class the way he took the goal. For me Michael mc Guinness should have been man of the match , his tackling and his ability to win ball he had no right to win kept mohill afloat , when the final whistle went and everyone else went mad, he went straight over to his manor opponent to console him and shake his hand , a class act from a class man on what must have been an emotional day for him and his family. Hard luck to manor its tough way to lose but i think over the two games mohill just about deserved it, they will be back im sure. I hope now that the pressure of winning the championship is lifted, mohill will play a bit better in the connacht club, they wiĺl be away to the Galway champions and id fear for them on yesterday's performance. You wouldn't be too positive about leitrim's prospects next year if thats the best the two best teams in the county can produce.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 04/10/2015 21:59:07    1795773

Link

Admittedly the replay was terrible but the first game was a cracker so perspective please. These two teams and the Willies in senior football are at the business end of proceedings this year because they train harder than everybody else, that is a fact. Lots wrong with Leitrim football, lack of meaningful games, refereeing, pitches, ambition and underage structures but there are a lot of things improving too. 3 clubs taking the thing serious is one more than usually does, other clubs need to step up to the mark and it is inevitable that the League and Championship be restructured fast.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 10/10/2015 09:50:07    1797624

Link

last adult championship of the year being decided this saturday mohil v soh in the Junior A. i'd say it'll be tight enough but mohill are on a high at present and should swing it. Anyone any opinion.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 253 - 11/11/2015 12:49:01    1806363

Link

Yeah Mohil on a high alright....plus the addition of some of their senior players being eligible to play may swing it alright, how many can play that would be normally first 17? but not taking away the fact that mohil are always had a strong second team. should be an entertaining game anyways and should go down to the last 5mins id say.

straightred (Leitrim) - Posts: 33 - 12/11/2015 10:29:56    1806673

Link

04/10/2015 15:31:39
Ouryear
County: Leitrim

The championship has to be looked at. Having 1 team going down isn't enough. There's too many weak teams in it.

Agreed. At the very least, have a promotion/relegation game between the intermediate runners-up and the team that wins the senior relegation final. Or maybe promote the Div 2 league winners to the senior championship and relegate the bottom team in Div 1.

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 512 - 16/11/2015 08:11:12    1807492

Link

A lot of the clubs that are struggling in the senior grade are really struggling with numbers for example Drumreilly only had 3 subs for most of their championship games, the likes of Bornacoola , Annaduff and Kiltubrid have suffered badly with player losses which leaves them struggling just to stay in the senior ranks. I think amalgamations should be looked at in some cases something along what they do in kerry its worth debating at least.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 17/11/2015 19:49:21    1808076

Link