Leitrim Forum

Saturday 27th June

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I don't think I am being unfair Damo k. If you look at a player you can tell who has been training 5 to 6 times a week by their physique and they will stand out. I have seen county players playing club games this year and they do not stand out at all in fitness or strength. County lads should be head and shoulders above club players. I know for a fact that there are clubs in Dublin training 5 times a week between field and Gym sessions and id say there are a lot of clubs around the country doing this. I don't want to sound harsh to our lads as I respect the commitment and discipline they had this year but I feel we are so far off where we need to be that it will take big changes to get us where we need to be. I am sick of hearing people say we need to get out of division 4 so we can play better teams, we cant even beat the teams in division 4 to get promoted. I do think with the right preparation, the right game plan i.e 13 men in our own half and lads training 6 days a week that we can gain promotion in the next 2 to 3 years but it takes hard work. Take Donegal Jim mc Guinness said that within 4 years they would have an all Ireland medal in their back pocket. They had it in two as they trained harder than they thought was possible they had a game plan and they were fit. I am not asking Leitrim to win an all Ireland just look to gain promotion the the next few years and maybe get to a conaught final that we can compete in and maybe even win a back door game or two.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 30/06/2015 13:19:53    1745387

Link

To be honest if we resort to going 13 men behind the ball I will have no interest going to watch that! I'd prefer if we were beaten and played a good style of football which I know we can do.

DamoK (Leitrim) - Posts: 50 - 30/06/2015 15:23:12    1745498

Link

Well that says it all about Leitrim. Happy to loose, im sure Donegal people might have said the same sure they won an all Ireland in 1992 playing nice football but never won a thing again until 2011 now they are in their 5th final in 5 years and have been in 2 all Ireland finals in the last 3 years. Are we happy to go along with the same approach playing nice football and winning nothing?? if so then lads need to stop coming on here complaining about getting beat every year at the first game as that is where we are at. Monaghan, Armagh, Tyrone, Cavan, Longford, Donegal, Galway, Derry and Sligo are all teams that set up defensively and have had a lot more success in the championship than Leitrim.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 01/07/2015 12:16:50    1745901

Link

Harleys to be fair most of posts here are from disappointed about way we played- They are mot complaining about losing. I know we can play better but negative tactics are not helping the team! You seem to be the most negative of all the posters here.

DamoK (Leitrim) - Posts: 50 - 01/07/2015 14:19:16    1746020

Link

I want to see change and I want to see Leitrim win if that means playing a defensive system then so be it!! You my friend are happy to see Leitrim loose if they place nice football. Who is the negative one?

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 01/07/2015 16:31:44    1746109

Link

Have to agree with Harley's on this one. It's a bit naive of us to try and play any other way. If it's good enough for donegal etc then why not us.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 253 - 01/07/2015 20:49:49    1746240

Link

Its obvious you were not at Louth game Harley!

DamoK (Leitrim) - Posts: 50 - 02/07/2015 08:59:12    1746292

Link

Overall I Probably agree closer to Harley.
by that I don't mean Leitrim have to put 13 behind the ball but they cant be going out with no tactics.

Its got to a stage where every county team need to be tactically aware of themselves and their opposition. even at minor level this is the case.

Jim mcguinness wrote a good piece in the Irish times the week after Longford got hammered by the Dubs. He claimed there are 3 types on teams currently in Ireland. The traditional teams (Dublin/Kerry etc), The teams trying their hardest to break into the top table (Donegal/Monaghan etc) and teams that are happy enough to "give it their all" and lose. Im paraphrasing but that was the general idea.

Now I dont buy into what McHugh said at the weekend but Leitrim could definately be more competitive. Get a tactic that suits the players in the county and work on it at all levels. master it, tweak it and eventually Leitrim can progress.

By waiting and being happy playing attacking football (which I don't feel Leitrim have the players for) ye are falling further behind. Look at Cavan. They should be the type of county that Leitrim should be competing with. Instead Cavan are winning underage titles in Ulster and moving up the table at senior level. They have had good days out in Croke park.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1208 - 02/07/2015 11:12:14    1746372

Link

dstruction- the problem we have is that at moment we are playing a zonal defence...and its not working. That is the only point that I was trying to make. Leitrim teams down throughout the years were always dogged in the backs and fought for everything. That was not the case in louth- we let them run at us and they were happy to use all the space that we were giving them

DamoK (Leitrim) - Posts: 50 - 02/07/2015 12:03:58    1746400

Link

I wasn't at the Louth game Damo and thankfully as I heard it was dire!! I was at the Minor match and I do think Leitrim have a bright future despite the lack of investment from our co board in underage set up! That's why I feel we need a system that we can implement in underage and work on it over the next few years. I do think Leitrim will win a Connaught title but the quicker we stop living in the past and step up to todays level the sooner this will come!! I don't want to sound very negative I am a proud Leitrim man who wants changes and success for our great we county!!

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 02/07/2015 16:53:03    1746573

Link

If you weren't at the Louth game I can't see how you can comment on how we should play. If you were at the game you would see where all the problems were..but no point in debating if you didn't see it apart from the snippet on Sunday game. Looking on the bright side - we have a very young panel and if they all have jobs are able to stay in the country. That will be a big plus. One area where Emlyn Mulligan was missed this year is providing good ball into the full forward line and rarely misses his man with a pass. Wonder will he come back to play for Leitrim though.

DamoK (Leitrim) - Posts: 50 - 03/07/2015 12:21:36    1746945

Link