Leitrim Forum

Question on championship promotion/relegation

(Oldest Posts First)

This might be an old question; sorry if it is. A couple of things at the start before I begin, and correct me if I'm wrong: 1) if a team in the Senior championship gets relegated, and the club also has a club at Intermediate level, the usual thing is that the Intermediate team gets pushed down also and ends up in Junior A; and 2) if a team (not a club's first team) wins the Junior A championship, and the club has a higher team already in the Intermediate championship, then the Junior A team cannot get promoted (unless the Intermediate team also wins the championship).

Now, let's put those two together. Here's the question. Say there's a club (X) with teams in the Senior and Intermediate championships, and say the Senior team gets relegated. But then say another club (Y) has teams in the Intermediate and Junior A championships, the Intermediate team loses in the quarter-finals, and the Junior A team wins the championship. Then we have a problem, because X's sentior team gets relegated to Intermediate, so their Intermediate team must go down to Junior A. But Y's Junior A champions can't get promoted because Y has a team already at Intermediate. What happens?

Here's a hypothetical scenario if it makes things any easier: Say St Mary's (who have teams at Senior and Intermediate) get relegated from Senior, and say Seán O'Heslins's (who have teams at Intermediate and Junior A) win the Junior A championship. If Carrick get relegated from Intermediate, who goes up from Junior A to fill the gap?

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 504 - 25/08/2014 12:12:49    1641597

Link

St.Marys don't have an intermediate team. There is no sceniaro possible with the teams left in relegation

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 26/08/2014 13:09:15    1642223

Link

Ah, whoops, my mistake.

Ok. Imagine they did. :) What would happen?

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 504 - 26/08/2014 14:41:32    1642315

Link

I would think there would be any relegation in that case too many teams would be effected

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 26/08/2014 16:57:41    1642420

Link

Interesting; it would mean though that St Mary's (in our example (I was sure they had an intermediate team, I even looked it up before I posted it)) finished in last place in the Senior championship, they'd stay safe because of events in the Junior Championship. But maybe that is the case, I don't know.

Does anyone know where there are rules for this?

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 504 - 26/08/2014 17:41:14    1642476

Link

My own view is that we should go back to the leagues determining what championship a team plays in. Div 1 - Snr Div 2 - inter and so forth. 2 teams relegated and promoted each season. This would put a lot more skin in league games as teams champ standing would depend on them maintaining divisional status. It would also freshen up the championships by introducing two new teams every year. We should also consider going back to straight knock out in the championship, the current protracted format is a revenue generating exercise which produces no upsets and little or no excitement. I feel it's no conincidence that this strucutre applied when Leitrim football peaked from 1990-95.

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 26/08/2014 21:55:12    1642734

Link

they should go for 8 teams in senior league and championship, in league 4 top teams playoff for who wins the league and 4 bottom teams playoff with the 2 losers being relegated. Doing this would means every team will be fighting until the end of league, with the top 4 fighting to win league and bottom 4 fighting not to get relegated In championship play first game, home and away like they do in donegal and then knockout neutral venue, do this in all division and this would make it far more competitive

christopher (Donegal) - Posts: 81 - 05/09/2014 14:14:42    1648426

Link

That's not a bad idea Christopher, currently the league is a bit of a joke, takes almost 9 months to complete and by the end there is little to play for in the many of the matches.
In the championship 12 senior teams is too many and with only one team dropping down to intermediate each year there's little to freshen up the competition. Co. board should look at 8 snr 8 inter and 8 jnr teams, 2nd teams could play in reserve competitions of Junior B, C's etc. This would mean first teams are more likely to win junior and intermediate and be more competitive in Connacht club too. The current ruling which doesn't allow 2nd teams compete in the provincial club championships does not suit Leitrim at all due to our small player base. Expecting beaten finalists to represent the county is a waste of time as we seen with Eslin last year, hard to motivate lads for provincials when they've been beaten in the county competition.
The home and away games for the first round could work well, some gate receipts for the clubs and teams guaranteed a second bite of the cherry.

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 06/09/2014 12:37:14    1648710

Link

Great post Christopher, I pretty much posted the same idea last week but it did not make the page. You must make the top divisions feel like they are the elite when the player pool in the county is so small. You can have more teams in each division as you go down the ranks. ie Div1, Senior Championship 8 teams, Intermediate 12 teams, and Junior A and B, Div 3&4 16 teams (if possible) and rest Junior C and Div 5. We have to do something before the gulf between us and other counties becomes unbridgeable.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 859 - 06/09/2014 20:47:55    1648901

Link