Leitrim Forum

Where do we go from here?

(Oldest Posts First)

After another year peeters out and a season of great hopes dashed rather easily in the end. Indeed our Connacht Minor success, Our U21s win over Galway and our second consecutive FBD title suggests progress is being made but I think if you were to be analytical about it all, you would have to say that the minors are the only ones who have quality and a standard that is decent going forward. Our U21s had a manager that was tactically astute which helped against a good Galway team who got flummoxed with the tactics but the Rossies had no such problem in the final and the team failed to adapt to a different game plan, which just shows the limited ability of the squad.
The Seniors are the most disappointing as in lads leaving the panel, players brought in with no winter training and being favoured ahead of lads who put in the hard slog. The holding up of our club game then with minors not allowed to play with their clubs has shown why our club scene is the weakest it ever has been, club players have no commitment and when you see how they are being treated is it any wonder?
A big think in with new ideas emanating from it is required long before the year is out so that clubs and county set ups can hit the ground running.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 30/06/2014 10:46:58    1611308

Link

I find it surprising that there hasn't been any talk yet about the management. In my opinion this management team has lost the players, and therefore can go no further with them. Evidence of this can be found by the amount of departures from the county squad before the seasons end- clearly they had no belief that they would achieve anything.

In my opinion this lack of belief is down to the management team. This does not make sean a bad manager, as he has already proven his worth with other teams, but when you lose the dressing room, theres no turning back.

Examples of this can been seen in our own sport as well as others. No more so then donegal, there players haven't changed much from a few years ago, but jim mcguiness came in, and the players believed in what he wanted them to do, and this belief transformed them from under-achievers to all-ireland champions.

In soccer look at athletico madrid, 2 years ago they were in a relegation battle, then they brought in simeone as manager, who changed the players beliefs in what they were capable of. In the space of 2 years, with practically the same team, they have won the spanish league, against opposition that hold the best players in the world, and reached the champions league final.
These examples just points out with the right man in charge who can make the players pull in the same direction we could achieve much more.

Due to this I feel its time the county board got in a new management team, as stated above I feel the management team has lost the dressing room, and keeping him on for another year will lead to the same conclusion as this year. **Again to make sure no one mis-reads this, I still think sean is a good manager, and know he will do well with plenty more teams in the future.

inthebag (Leitrim) - Posts: 90 - 30/06/2014 16:36:40    1611681

Link

The last management team lost the players as well. There's a common theme here......

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 280 - 30/06/2014 18:00:05    1611731

Link

Wouldn't matter who was in charge. Too many of the players just aren't dedicated or committed enough to play county football.

Jimmy_McNulty (Leitrim) - Posts: 55 - 30/06/2014 20:30:13    1611828

Link

With you Jimmy on that, we have a handful of committed players that give the required level to county football but the rest are just baggage, there for the gear and expenses. This is where the County Board must put the emphasis on the club scene again as this year proved one thing, that when the manager (who by the way is a good manager but really had a very average bunch to work with, and a lot of lads with defeatist attitudes from the outset)brought in the players to boost the squad, they were off the pace, mainly because there was nothing to keep lads motivated or fit within the club scene. Clubs in the county with maybe a couple of exceptions do not train hard enough. And results in the Connacht Club Championship this year will bear this fact out again. It is all right saying Donegal and Athletico Madrid as examples, while I think a very smart man could work something, the rate of improvement experienced by McGuinness and Simeone would not be seen in Leitrim with the crop that is there at present. Underage needs better structures than what is there at present.

po3nmotion (Leitrim) - Posts: 204 - 01/07/2014 12:07:15    1612066

Link

constructive criticism not allowed

clear the decks time

start afresh and aim for london 2017 as the winnable game, develop the minors and 21s through

ultimatum to those who are alleged to lack interest either in or out

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 01/07/2014 16:45:01    1612201

Link

Now that the time is right i'd like to voice my opinion on something I feel strongly about. I have allowed the season to end from an intercounty perspective before posting this as I feel it's best not to voice concerns or negativity during the season for fear of players/management see it. Where to start.... Ok, roll back to last year folks. We didn't see the management losing the dressing room last year, no players walked away from the panel. Four players were asked to leave the panel because of indiscipline, this decision was apparently agreed between the majority of players and management as they felt this wasn't inline with the expectations of senior county players in the current era. While you can argue if this was right or wrong. Personally I would have preferred the option of dropping them for the following game with keeping them involved. But if it were to be a case of punishment or no punishment I definately would have backed the decision to get rid of them rather than not recognize the actions that happened. Following this decision our management suffered unbelievable personal attacks on social media which ultimately rallied enough support in the county to ensure they outgoing management weren't kept on. This combined with a selection county board officials that have the views that you can still carry on the way the gaelic players did 20-30 years ago when they were playing and still compete. Don't forget folks that there were injuries to very key players after the time that the 4 lads were asked to leave - this is what caused us to not get into the connaught final, not the fact that in-disciplined players were gone. The team seemed to then totally collapse for the qualifier following the media outburst and the lack of fit players.

So we moved on and a manager was head hunted who was willing to turn a blind eye to what was really happening. Don't get me wrong, I do want to want to say this. Sean Hagan brought some lads into the panel who in my opinion could have been in but were overlooked in previous years and started the year very well. I'm not talking about the mickey mouse competition of the FBD. We shouldn't even count this competition when we look at any season. I don't want to criticize Sean too much as in my opinion he would have been asked to operate in allowing a level of indiscipline so if it's wrong from the top then what can you do.

Please please please, clear the decks from the top.. Get a good man in with the right values (by the George Dugdale was this type of person from what i am told and had the respect of the dressing room), get the non-committed players out, committed players in regardless of whether or not they are as good as the social stars and work with the lads that will work for the team like all county players are expected. No more rubbish from old style posters on here like 94allstar etc. Get with the picture, we are pretty much as low as we can go anyway so start afresh and give the lads their chance if they put in the effort and show them your support. Also talk of getting out of division 4, not a chance. We are there for a reason, we aren't good enough to get out of it yet. Most definitely I want this to happen but it would be like westmeath in my opinion. We need a bigger panel allround to compete at the next grade. Just my opinion folks so no harm intended. I did have the decency to wait until now to express the concerns i've had since watching the tipp game. If only other people done the same last year it may have been a better year.

PaddyWagon123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 01/07/2014 21:15:31    1612385

Link

We need to focus on this years minors, u-21's and under 16's in next few years. Let's face it our seniors are hopeless. This years underage teams could possibly be useful in future. Having watched Carrick-vs- Melvin Gaels in first round of club champo, our club football is suffering because of a pointless emphasis on county team. A poor game between last two county champions. By the looks and sounds of it not all those lads on current Leitrim senior panel are totally committed. Fairly depressing times.

coppers.abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 01/07/2014 21:26:18    1612390

Link

What a joke! Such a lazy option by the county board if there isn't a change in management. We will have less lads making themselves available for the county I'd expect!

PaddyWagon123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 19 - 18/07/2014 20:10:07    1621311

Link

Unfortunately,have to agree Paddywagon.....Once you loose respect,not much left!!

lecture250 (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 19/07/2014 15:59:56    1621519

Link

Hi all,

An avid reader of HoganStand but never wanted to post my thoughts until now. I must admit I am in agreement with a lot of what PaddyWagon has to say regarding the size of our panel and the decision to stick with current management. After the defeat to Down I think it would have been the right decision for mgmt to bow out, however, the board have decided to stick with Sean so we will have to support him and the team next season.

Things I would like to see happen within Leitrim GAA:

1) We follow the Roscommon/Cavan/Tipp youth development systems. Not base our system on theirs but follow it exactly.

2) Do whatever it takes to complete the Centre of Excellence. Its nothing short of a joke that players are commting to different parts of the country 2/3 times a week.

3) Linking in on point 1, we put as much funding as possible into the youth system. I think after the last two senior campaigns the younger generation deserve a chance and funding to the senior team should be reduced.

4) A reshuffle of the county board. In my opinion it has gone very stale and I feel some new and fresh ideas/people are required at board level.

Just my thoughts guys, let me know what you think.

Cheers,

WR

WReveer (Leitrim) - Posts: 1 - 21/07/2014 16:24:24    1623137

Link

lads could any manager have dealt with the injuries we had this season?

Hagan should get a 2nd year, it will be different if the top table changes and more cooperation

Hindsight is a great thing look at how strong clare and tipp were in the championship glad to see the back of them

regroup and go for the NFL and use the FBD as a training excercise or bleed the 21s that came through

we need to pull together from all angles

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 21/07/2014 19:15:47    1623362

Link