Leitrim Forum

Leitrim v Carlow

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Chatten a Galway man at work that im friends with he played for Galway up until 5 year's ago I played with him for a summer in Boston more than half a decade ago

He thinks Galway will bottom division 2 and be rerelegated possibly with Armagh

And we are both if the view that Sligo and leitrim would trade places between 3-4

Roscommon to mid table division 3 and mayo finish 5th division 1

Anyway this would leave 3 connacht championship teams in division 3

Which would also mean we would have a good insight into 2015 connacht championship if thiswere to happen

It would be a great plus if it went that way and ifthis momentum was to keep going id have full belief our young team and management could top div3 ahead of Galway roscommon fermanagh or offaly

Leaving all that speculation behind for now Hagan is out this week "not underestimating carlow" which he is dead right

He also says our next 3 games over the next 3 weeks will tell our story for 2014 - again he is spot on

I wish him goodluck with his game plan

My opinion of the next 3 weeks is that we need a minimum 5 points from 3 games and 6 points if we are serious for promotion

Id also point out scoring difference and if any of the players read this take year points as it couldccome to a scoring difference in 5-6 weeks time at the business end and hopefully it will be the end of division bloody 4 for us

The air is slightly warmer so longer range scoring will be an option

3 games 2 at home 1 in aughrim even without mossy (get well soon lad) id be confident with the team and the pick we have

Liatroim ABU

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 27/02/2014 18:58:48    1552133

Link

Just seen Mossy had surgery yesterday and that it went well heres to a speedy recovery another two points would be nice on Sunday

aidan1000 (Leitrim) - Posts: 106 - 27/02/2014 20:51:15    1552165

Link

mccrann gone now too, as much as he is a loss farrelly or the carrick lad is more than decent back up, you wouldnt think that reading the observer mind you when we have a bit of positive among the squad and fans they are only to happy to put a downer on things, sunday will be tough but we should be beating carlow at home even without mossy and cathal, a single point victory will do for me, looking forward to heading down from belfast for sunday

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 28/02/2014 10:51:16    1552255

Link

Carlow in bad shape this game should be a straight forward win for Leitrim. The games against Tipp,Wicklow will confirm if Leitrim are good enough to rise to div 3.

Mr_Pundit (UK) - Posts: 677 - 28/02/2014 19:28:46    1552543

Link

Wishing a very weakened Leitrim team success against Carlow.
We may be down 5 key players for this game and I expect Carlow to be trickey.
However Leitrim has 26 other players all biting at the bit and I predict they will perform well.
lets get there and support them.
Regards
Mike

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 28/02/2014 20:32:43    1552585

Link

Wishing mossy all the best following his serious accident. Get well soon Thomas, we are all wishing you well and hope you will be back in the green and gold some day.

Against Carlow on Sunday I hope in Mossy's absence that hagan gives Emmett Mahon a game at full forward - (him and mossy made a great midfield pairing for leitrim minors about 6-7 years ago, they were fantastic) I have seen him a few times playing full forward for kiltubrid during championship and league games and he seems a good strong full forward for them. V powerful lad, and well able to field ball, take a score and a very good free taker. He puts serious effort to each game from what I seen. Well worth a try at county standard and in my opinion is a better shout at full forward than John mulligan or Shane Moran, who I would see as a corner forward and midfielder respectfully.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 28/02/2014 20:56:14    1552602

Link

The main thing here jimmy is to keep the likes of mahon injury free coming into big games

Young Mulligan is a good full forward and can turn on a sixpence

Carlow have nothing to lose tomorrow so I wouldnt overlook them

If we can dominate midfield the game is ours

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 01/03/2014 13:53:43    1552728

Link

And we roll on undefeated after 7 competitive games!.Is this a record?

Great to see subs coming on and making an impression.

We are ready for Wicklow

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 02/03/2014 16:00:40    1553201

Link

Delighted with the win again, made hard work of it at times but kept going until the end will glynn have his card overturNed buck on the radio said it was soft

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 02/03/2014 17:01:45    1553262

Link

I don't remember ever winning 7 in a row in my short life time

It's beyond great but im disappointed with the small turnout to support the county team

Luckily after a tough sheep shearing contest I just made the game but I got to see it from start to finish

Some errors were are which at this time of year and against carlow you will get away with

However next week errors won't get us across the line

Id be happy with a draw next week but if we are serious about promotion then it's win at all costs

We beat Antrim in worse conditions and drew with Clare

2 factors that work in our favor

But id be keeping the feet on the ground as the next 3 games are vital

Alot of team work going in and support play needs to be drilled into the team

Plenty of support play in the last 7 minutes however the previous 28 could have let it slip

Carlow probably wouldnt have beaten us even if they could have brought on 15 subs

Great to see subs making an impact and great to have such a pick

A winning mentality is a good thing but you can be caught on the hop quite easily

Next week is a must win the job is half done now to finish it

Great work by the team and management a 9 point win and 2 more points on the board

Well done to all

Liatroim Abu

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 02/03/2014 20:38:03    1553488

Link

@UniGaa, Glynn will definitely have his card overturned pity because going to Aughrim with him missing I'd be a lot more confident.

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 03/03/2014 09:44:09    1553628

Link

sure lets go and give it a good lash and see where we end up, have we someone who can stick to him like glue and give him no room, should we double mark him if they do the same to mulligan?

i would be very happy with a point on sunday as i think the place we will get 2 is fraher field given waterfords run of late, then we have our all ireland against tipp at home basically, 3 points from the next 2 games and we are in with a shout

clare v tipp should be the game to watch away from ours that will define the group

we missed a chance to tag on a few scores yesterday i hope it doesnt come back to haunt us, we got the 2 points that the main thing

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 03/03/2014 11:49:47    1553702

Link

We are currently in second place with tipp on first

Clare are top going on 4 gamed whereas everyone else only has 3 played

So on 3 games it's

Tipperary 1st
Leitrim 2nd
Clare 3rd

Id be confident about taking Wicklow

The hunger should be there for promotion

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/03/2014 13:39:07    1553851

Link

Glynn is a great footballer brilliant to watch and I'd agree we would need someone to stick to him like glue and imo we have a few that are capable of hassling him, if brennan is fit he'd be my first choice, annoy the hell out of Glynn and then you have his huge engine to bomb up the field, thats if he is fit.

McKeon isn't as good a marker so next choice I'd let Alan Wynne or Paddy Maguire on him, with two wing forwards dropping back and maybe even a corner forward we should have lots of men to mark them.

MouseMat (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 03/03/2014 15:48:00    1553985

Link

Encouraging performance again yesterday .. a lot of flowing football played albeit against a 14 man team that would have struggled to beat a good club side, but it was important we racked up the scores and we did throughout the game

A worry would be that we could have had a few more goals in the second half but seemed content to take the points. Phillip Farrelly could have done without that unfortunate goal going in.. his kickouts could be kept on a lower trajectory too, they have a habit of going too high up

Moment of the game for me was when we turned over possession inside our 21 and worked it up the field for a score, have to be able to do that consistently to win big games.

Darren Sweeney was my MOTM, had a great game at midfield .. Sean McWeeney did well at wing back also .. Underwhelming run outs for John Mulligan and Ray Cox .. looking at the bench with P Brennan and Danny Beck not togged, Bruno coming on, Ciaran Egan and Alan Wynne there as well. looks like we have finally consolidated a bit of depth ..

Hagan looked very calm and composed on the line, seems to leave a lot of the line duties to Aidan McCarron, who I think was a great addition, encouraging the lads to get up and get scores even on the last few plays

Going by the bit of coverage on Radio 1 of the Wicklow game, linesman flagged the ref to send off Glynn so he'll probably get that red rescinded.

Hope we get Damian Moran, Cathal McCrann and Brennan back fit ASAP and keep the run going. We're in a good position to get something out of Aughrim.

Also good to see Mossie up and about at the game, hope he's on the mend.

94 where did ya get that #12 jersey!

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 03/03/2014 17:26:05    1554087

Link

have to agree mousemat, would not like to waste brennan on him tho, wynne or paddy might get in his face more and we still have the brennan threat going forward, thought sean mcweeney done ok yesterday and a couple of nice scores, be nice to turn wicklow even with glynn, anything at all out of there next week with like.

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 03/03/2014 17:28:14    1554091

Link

@dodgy-pass I've wardrobes full of players jerseys from good days and not so good days

As for 12 its a well known fact that im probably the the tidest left half forward in any leitrim club

Id agree with you on the turn over and we got a lovely point out of it

That actually happened 4 times in the second half

Mckeon sent a lovely ball to Lowe who had space and should have put it over

I wouldnt hold the carlow goal against Farrelly or donal wrynne

They both done their best to stop it.
That goal started on the carlow 45 when their half back line came forward unmarked ran at usup trough the center and landed Farrelly and wrynne on the ground in the net with the ball which should have been a free out along with barging.

However I noticed carlow made a few runs up the center at us which needs to be worked on as luckily it was only carlow and they couldn't produce scores from the runs

Id like to see Paul Brennan back next week aswell

Sweeney done well but midfield needs to win more ball

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 03/03/2014 18:53:53    1554157

Link

Brennan out for the next few weeks as is mc crann, so we have to do with the team that was out yesterday.what was wrong with beck getting no jersey yesterday.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 03/03/2014 19:24:39    1554185

Link

Brennan and McCrann huge loss alright

If your not on a team or panel you dont get a jersey so no point throwing tantrums about it

I expected a better crowd especially at home

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 04/03/2014 08:26:43    1554354

Link