Leitrim Forum

Leitrim secretary role to be contested

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

@ 94 allstar
Please can you give examples on how Galway GAA are promoting Gaelic
Games in their county any different than it is being done in Leitrim !!!

halfwayline (Leitrim) - Posts: 61 - 17/12/2013 18:26:53    1524661

Link

In football they compete in the top end of division 2

They contest allireland quarter finals

They won the Sam Maguire cup twice in the last 15 year's

In hurling they compete in Leinster finals against the likes of Kilkenny and allireland finals against the likes of Kilkenny

Not to mention their u21 and minor success in both sports

Along with their ladies camogie allireland champions

Along with 2 or 3 of the strongest football clubs in the GAA

And 6-8 of the strongest hurling clubs in the Gaa

Compared to leitrim

Haven't won the SamMaguire

Havent won connacht in 19.5 years 67 before that

Hurling doesn't seem to be recognized by our county board

Our u 21 and minor county teams haven't won a game in a combined quarter of a century

We don't have a camogie team

We don't get to play croke park atleast once a year in either football or hurling

And it's nearly a decade since our last senior club victory in the province

No leitrim club has ever won a senior provincial or allireland

And that's without digging out lorry loads of differences between leitrim and Galway

I'd far rather be winning and getting to croke park with football teams and hurling teams and camogie teams at different levels and be in debt than be in the black and win nothing and be embarrassed by a second string Armagh and London outfit

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 17/12/2013 21:00:02    1524738

Link

Comparing Leitrim and Galway us unrealistic.

Galway is a thriving county with massive resources.Leitrim is bleeding it's youth and is economically very weak.

Were it not for the genious of a few in the county board it would not have the new Parc Sean and the Annaduff centre almost completed.

Without this leadership the county would also be bankrupt like some of our neighbours.

It is no longer a level playing pitch for counties like Leitriim.We are cannon foder to make up the numbers.

We are a proud county however and I agree we should aim high but realism also must come in.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 18/12/2013 19:32:39    1525085

Link

@joeman123 Galway is another county

As is Sligo fermanagh monaghan Cavan laois or Dublin

Galway is suffering in some cases even worse than leitrim economically

For instancetake a drive west of the city barna moycullen direction apart from the bogs that the government is trying to stop the locals cutting a plot of turf on there is nothing no economy apart from turf and a small amount of livestock

Athenry and surrounding towns have sent their children to Australia on the east side of the county

So basically what your left with is claregalway and the city which are mainly students and commuters that aren't involved in local GAA clubs

I note your point about pairc Sean and I ask when will it be resurfaced to a standard of kingspan breiffni park in Cavan?

And your point on annaduff tell me when will it be open and how many of us will actually be allowed to use it?

Lastly there is an old saying about self praise I do believe is relevant to our discussion

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 19/12/2013 10:16:10    1525179

Link

When you put facilities before results then it says much about the state of Leitrim football. The neglect of underage football. the disregard for going with the national plan to keep up with other counties that will be this county board's legacy in my opinion. We should be so proud

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 19/12/2013 10:36:09    1525190

Link

I bave nothing to do with co board but I call it as I see it.

I note 94 allstar you ignore the question re personal attacks on everyone.

leitrim is by far the poorest county in Ireland in term of resources and your a analysis re Galway is just wrong.
where are the job opportunities in Leitrim?

Ranting without personal responsibility and action will get us nowhere

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 19/12/2013 11:40:02    1525221

Link

I'd agree with you there bananapublican

One nail that's easily driven home is the automatic selection of u14 -16 county players if their grandfather uncle or close relative is a club secretary/chairperson or treasurer or a sitting delegate on the county board

I'd imagine for example there would be about 250-300 children across leitrim eligible for u14 trials

What I cannot understand is why ALL these children are not publicly invited to aattend

Whether they make the panel or not it would promote Gaelic games in the county for one

And out of the 5 teams that won adult football championships this year why has the county chairperson and club chairperson in each club along with each team visited the national schools with the cup to show the upcoming next generation that the parish won something

As far as I can make out its a fundraiser to keep the boys in a job and as far as advertising and promoting our native sports goes its a closed shop simply because we are poor old famine ridden leitrim and it's unheard of to compete with the likes of Galway or even London

It wouldnt surprise me if the co board decided to concede the 18th of may next year

Finally a valid point that's being missed is that GAA is about playing and competing in sports at all ages and levels it's not a development company struggling to avoid nama and survive a recession it's about going out on a field with your comrades neighbors friends brothers cousins and enjoying playing the games our fathers grandfathers great grandfather and their ancestors played and enjoyed

Nowhere in that enjoyment of competing should there be anything about how great a group of retired civil servants did balancing books whilst the county was humiliated by second tier teams

As I said self praise is a familiar quote

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 19/12/2013 11:54:02    1525226

Link

@joeman123 we have the very same resources as Cavan and look at the success of their minor outfit

I was in croke park 2 weekends in a row this summer to watch them play

They played an allireland quarter final

Whereas we would have been aswell to concede to London

Cavans facilities are among the best in the GAA when you look at breiffni park

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 19/12/2013 12:14:07    1525232

Link

94 your rants are getting worse.

You are now alleging nepotism in the selection of youth squads.

This is another unproven outrageous allegation against the team magement of these various teams.

There is no end to these rants of yours.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 19/12/2013 13:02:59    1525258

Link

@Joeman123 any response from you on Cavans resources being very similar to our own?

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 19/12/2013 14:21:09    1525298

Link

I have to throw in my tuppence worth on the alleged nepotism, from my own club I witnessed a player making the U15 development squad who certainly has no ties to county delegates and one who is much classier with ties didn't make it so not sure what to make of that argument. Surprised my post got posted earlier as a few of my recent ones regarding the county board haven't made the cut. I felt that I was going to have to go and pin a poster on the gate of Pairc Sean with plans for reformation of Leitrim GAA ala Martin Luther.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 19/12/2013 14:37:07    1525309

Link

Just competing in a strong man competition there

Had to throw a 75kg rock as far away from the chest standing up straight

Im in the top 3 mine went 15' 7" before it touched the ground here in bogata

It's a warm up to the jui jitsu championship starting tomorrow night

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 19/12/2013 15:39:56    1525338

Link

Very similar writing style to HTLB Barney there 94. How do you find the time.

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 107 - 19/12/2013 16:35:02    1525363

Link

Typing I do believe it's typing @loduvic_guliy

And I do believe the equantense you speak of is more than 1

Plural meaning there is a group of which I am not part of

Now if you don't mind im preparing for a cage fight with Kieran McGeeney

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 19/12/2013 17:30:10    1525392

Link

94allstar Cavan has twice the population of Leitrim bigger companies and some great land.

I agree Leitrim should try and follow their example at juvenile level

However I repeat my regection of your continuous rants against decent officials managers and even players.

We all know who the under age managers are and if I were they I would be furious to read your annonymous rant.

You make good copy but spout utter nonesense most of the time.

I speak as someone who cares about Leitrim as anybody else but I feel you have abused thid forum all year to under mine decent people and I can only conclude you are some kind coward.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 19/12/2013 20:28:02    1525454

Link

What do you folks make of that story on here?

Reacting to news that Leitrim's cross-Atlantic trip in 2013 had cost them over €94,000, Connacht Council secretary John Prenty was of the opinion that too many people were brought:

"They think they're going on their holidays and they have to bring Paddy and Mick and Jack," he told The Mayo News.

"If they were going to play the Connacht championship in Hyde Park, they'd bring 40 fellas, but they bring 60 to New York.

"If it's costing them that much, it's their own fault. We calculated that the official party can be brought for €65,000. Anybody above that, that's not our problem."

Do you not think its a sly dig from a Mayo man who knows full well his own county spent over 100K on trip to Miami and have another one lined up to Dubai in a few weeks.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2424 - 20/12/2013 15:38:18    1525658

Link

I second what Mr prenty has said and I fully agree with him

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 21/12/2013 13:08:46    1525804

Link

Here Here Mr Prenty, the entourage Leitrim had was a disgrace. Couldn't believe all the heads on the bus in NY. Joeman123, while 94 loses the plot with some of his arguments, the fact of the matter is and he is right in stating some of our officers are incompetent and running Leitrim football into the ground. No one is questioning their character as human beings just they are not fit for the roles they seek. We can't sit quietly and watch the ship sink. Too many people happy to stay quiet for 11 months and then when we are inevitably out of the Championship we all make a racket for a month and then quieten down for another year.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 21/12/2013 14:49:57    1525815

Link

Don't think leitrim will "Rise Again" anytime soon if our fundraising gate collections ticketsales and sponsorship money is funding party's for the boys on broadway

It's still not to late to elect a new chairman vice chairman secretary treasurers etc

I do agree with bananapublican getting hot about something for the month after it happens isn't good enough

Action needs to be taken

Its gone far beyond a joke at this stage and true diehard leitrimers including myself won't be putting up with it anymore

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 22/12/2013 09:53:50    1525924

Link