Leitrim Forum

Manor - Have to say, well done to all up there

(Oldest Posts First)

Just saw Manor won the hurling title.

My man up there was disappointed (but not surprised) at their early exit in the Senior Championship - but they got some measure of compensation with the Intermediate title with their second string.....and now the hurling. A year doesn't pass but they win something of significance.

They've brought new life into Leitrim hurling and football with the level the bring at every age group and competition (even Scor, they have history there). Good for Carrick and Gortletteragh to have strong opposition.

Best club in the county by a mile. Credit where credit's due.........football / hurling double next year? I for one wouldn't bet against it.

Solo_Run (Leitrim) - Posts: 171 - 17/10/2013 17:19:30    1502450

Link

yes congrats to manor on the hurling but did they leave a senior title behind them in football at the cost of an intermediate? seems there were players in the intermediate team that should have been in the senior team, but congrats on the intermediate football

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 18/10/2013 12:47:31    1502792

Link

I have to agree, fair play to them for putting the boot down and ploughing on ahead after their senior title in '08. A lot of teams would have eased off and have been happy to leave it at one.

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 24/10/2013 11:52:48    1505388

Link

@UniGaa No serious team loses a potential title at senior level in order to win a title at a lower level. Manor has a big pick of players and those good enough,fit enough or dedicated enough at the time were picked for the senior panel and that is the way it should be. Were some very good players, and some players who have played senior recently, included in the intermediate panel? Well, yes they were but only for the reasons above. There werent any illegal players although I dont think that is what you are suggesting.

Manor are investing in the right things at the moment which is the development of the club as a whole (underage, hurling and football, ladies - won county title this year too) and the new facility they will have up there (pitches and training) will be a complement and compliment to their effort. I hope other Leitrim clubs can and do follow their lead and keep Leitrim players playing at home. God knows we need it.

TheRealOracle (Leitrim) - Posts: 58 - 29/10/2013 21:54:19    1507295

Link

oracle not at any point would i suggest that, all i was saying was maybe the balance wasnt right but as you point out the merits on how the panel was selected, some players shone through in the inter panel - would they have been good enough on the senior panel, all a case of hindsight, am sure they will be looking to regain the senior crown next year

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 30/10/2013 11:35:38    1507346

Link