Leitrim Forum

Connaught Club Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

@the-analyser it's been a down hill slide since 2006 in leitrim club football

We were the first county to be recession ridden living on a false economy based on housebuilding if you would call it that

Mainly Dublin couples working in Mbna Tesco and other companies moved to leitrim

While our own were boarding a plane to Australia never to return

Not having a college in the county means Sligo Galway Dublin cork Waterford limerick Belfast letterkenny and Scotland gets all our players doing degrees

The majority of which live the life don't make sigerson teams and when they pass their exams they head abroad never to return

Belmullet and west Galway are the only other places in Ireland that suffer emigration like us and at that they don't have it as bad

22 in my class only 3 involved in GAA in leitrim the rest are involved in Canada the states the UK and Australia

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 11/11/2013 16:36:00    1512152

Link

I agree with alot said already! But it can't hide the fact that St Marys where destroyed by a team missing almost half a team! Thats got nothing to do with the County board surely? u fail to prepare and all that.

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 11/11/2013 18:22:31    1512226

Link

In my opinion the County board are a disgrace and yes it can all be blamed on them. Look at our fixtures, league final in top 3 leagues only being played in the past few weeks, with the senior replay being pushed off till the 24th. Seriously is there not an earlier date it could have been played (like this weekend)
I see they have a round of u21 now fixed for this wkend. Congrats on making that decision.
It's a disgrace for clubs to be playing games at this stage considering how badly leitrim did in the championship this year (let's just forget about that tho)
In my opinion we need a new co sec a whole reform or he ccc and without doubt a new structure around the coaching officer. Whatever he makes should be split into 2 and given to 2 senior co players and get them to do the work with kids

Hit_The_Bar (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 12/11/2013 12:13:15    1512489

Link

I Have a few points to make here,

Firstly analyser, everyone knows brigids dont start training untill they get out of roscommon sure padraig pearses got within two points of them last year with 14 men in there own half and 1 full forward. with crosmaglen out i can see brigids getting to another all irelandd final. St Marys should have done better but I would argue that they were lucky to win Leitrim this year and that in itself was an achievement and id say the celebrations are still ongoing. Dont forget that the galway Champs scored 5 points against brigids last year and the mayo champs scored 6 this shows you how good they are also leitrim were the second best club in conaught last year

I dont know why the U21s cant be played out in the spring/Summer along with the shield competition that way lads are finishin college at the end of may and pitches are dry and its not dark at 5 o clock.

Leitrim havent come far the last few years but will this management be different i cant see it, why couldnt we pay a bit extra and get mc geeney or some one that has an all ireland medal to there name to manage us for once and let them set the standards that we need to live up to a good young fresh manager can make the world of difference

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 12/11/2013 14:53:45    1512629

Link

I'd agree with you. Hit-the-bar

Another point I'd like to throw out there is these lads that are sent into the county board and connacht by clubs

What have they actually done for their clubs in the last number of years

It's not a dig at anyone a genuine question regarding upgrading facilities and getting funding off co board connacht council and croke park for lights pitch surfacing upgrading dressing rooms kitting out gyms scoreboards and so on

Is there a club in the county that has actually benefited in the last 3 year's

Because from what I've seen from using the facilities apart from ballinamore carrigallen and drumkeeran no where else has moved out of the 1950s

Carrick obviously have decent facilities being the county grounds

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 12/11/2013 14:58:36    1512633

Link

@Harleys Sean Hagan has a proven track record in connacht and Leinster

He took a team that had never been heard of to win a game in connacht and draw with the current allireland champions

If you look at his back room team you will see Aidan McCarran

That man is of the same merit as OisinMcConville or Kieran mcgeeney or Owen mulligan or Stephen O'Neill

He has allireland medals minor u21 and senior

He is one of mickey hartes apprentices and im sure no more than peter the great canavan when Aidan gets a bit of county coaching under his belt in 2 or 3 years time mickey and Tyrone will bring him into their own management set ups with minor u21 just like canavan

They style of football he is akin to is what he grew up playing under mickey harte which I don't need to go any further on 3 senior allirelands in 5 year's says enough along with countless allireland semi finals u21 allirelands and minor

Dromard have the same chapter of glory days as kiltubrid just a few years later when Hagan moved to his home club

Yes club management is a step down from county but barney and George stepped up for a while before the summer ongoings this year

Everyone needs to start at the bottom and thats what Hagan and his team have done

Done forget that apart from under 21 success with kildare mcgeeney never won a championship with kildare

And they are the second highest picking in the GAA outside of Dublin

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 12/11/2013 15:14:19    1512646

Link

2/11/2013 14:53:45
harleys
County: Leitrim

1512629 I Have a few points to make here,

Firstly analyser, everyone knows brigids dont start training untill they get out of roscommon sure padraig pearses got within two points of them last year with 14 men in there own half and 1 full forward. with crosmaglen out i can see brigids getting to another all irelandd final. St Marys should have done better but I would argue that they were lucky to win Leitrim this year and that in itself was an achievement and id say the celebrations are still ongoing. Dont forget that the galway Champs scored 5 points against brigids last year and the mayo champs scored 6 this shows you how good they are also leitrim were the second best club in conaught last year

As someone that has attented their training session in Roscommon thats a myth and padraig pearses got within a few scores of them last year Roscommon final because they have plenty of county defenders and play a defensive game. If Clan for example had won our championship this year i would fancy them to go on and win Connacht. Ballagh,Salthill would have beaten the Leitrim champs last year.

Dr Crokes are likely team for the Connacht winners in the semi final the winner of that game will win the All Ireland IMO.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2543 - 12/11/2013 16:14:54    1512698

Link

I'd have to agree who ever comes out of the connacht v Munster semi should win the allireland

Vincent's v Ulster champs both relatively new clubs to an allireland club championship

So my money is the winner of connacht v Munster semi

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 12/11/2013 16:49:03    1512726

Link

I also agree with that the winners of munster conaught will be hard stopped, however i saw the galway club play brigids last year and the mayo club and both were brutal i couldnt believe the best club in mayo and galways scores combined wasnt more than what the leitrim club scored against brigids!!

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 12/11/2013 17:35:48    1512760

Link

Vincents won the all Ireland a few years back I thought?? Hardly new. No excuses, Sligo champs lost by 7 points to Brigids, 10-12 point loss would be acceptable but 22 is a serious hammering. Cant really think our county team has been beaten by 22 & 25 points in championship in last 2 years and now our co champs beaten by 22, no coincidence. The beatings will continue with the present regime and mindset of the county and that is no slight on Sean Hagan. He is a good man who will improve things but we can't expect miracles.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 12/11/2013 20:22:07    1512871

Link

Of the three games played in Connaught last year, I genuinely think Melvin Gaels gave Brigids the hardest test. We were on the rack and Melvin Gaels missed a penalty which proved to be a turning point in the game. I also recall the Kiltubrid game some years ago in Carrick and we got the draw out of that one by the skin of our teeth. Also the Glencar-Manorhamilton game was very tight and we found it really difficult to put them away. All that history would have worked against St Marys as we were taking no chances last Sunday and if Marys were unprepared , then this was going to happen..

Experience has a massive part to play in Provincial and All Ireland Club Chsp, we have loads of it now and had lots of defeats in the early days in Connaught. Leitrim clubs have same advantage as Roscommon clubs in that if you can get the right bunch of lads together its easier retain Co. Chsp than say Mayo or Galway. Marys need to come out again next year and give it a right go.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 184 - 12/11/2013 21:28:10    1512928

Link

Brigids are missing some quality players (Domican, Kilbride, D Dolan) but they have serious strength in depth and have the experience of playing regurlarly in Connaught club championship. What size area and what population does the Brigids club have to pick from? A small rural club like Tourlestrane don't have the same resources. We started with 3 lads under 20 and brought 2 17 year old lads and 2 lads in their last 30's on as subs.
Brigids also have the strength, power for playing in wet, windy, wintry conditions. They had a few close games in Roscommon but conditions were a lot better back then in July/August/Sept. They really step in up in the wetter conditions as they have big physical players all over the pitch.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 259 - 13/11/2013 10:57:52    1513013

Link

its well known that brigids dont loose any players to emigration as all the businesses in athlone give the players jobs and sponser the team and their clubhouse is well run and brings a lot of money in for the club, the clubs of leitrim or sligo will never have that kind of support and will continue to loose there best players year on year to emigration!! It could be 5 years or more before we have a different team representing conaught

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 13/11/2013 13:41:04    1513127

Link

There are about 1000 households in the combined parish of Kiltoom and Cam. A good way to measure relative size i think is the number of kids in NS's in the parish and at the moment theres 380. Its a biggish club by Roscommon standards but would have a 1/3 rd of the population of our dear neighbours Clann na Gael and would be a modest sized club by national standards. It definitely benefits from being close to Athlone and emigration up until this year has not been a huge factor. About 8 of the panel would be Dublin based but with the motorway thats only an hour and 20 away so we never lose players to Dublin clubs. It has been a very well run club and is well financed but only because good people work very hard at fund raising. We did have a run of 8 u-21 co. titles in a row that came to an end 2 years ago which explains why we have a broad and deep panel at the moment. At under age level , we would be only moderately successful

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 184 - 13/11/2013 20:55:28    1513339

Link

@bananapublican maybe so Vincent's came out of Dublin recently

But the team changes in Dublin like the weather

The club may have won Dublin a Leinster or allireland but the current team bar maybe 2-3 players may not have ever even left the county of Dublin before bar to go to the Costa on a holiday

Certain Dublin clubs have that big of a pick that they can drop lads back to second AMD third teams or even 4th teams with out blinking an eye

On the bridgits of kiltoom club probably one of the best run clubs in the Gaa

Up there in the top 3 with crossmaglen and crokes

If only leitrim clubs could offload the baggage and take a leaf out of bridgits

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 14/11/2013 11:20:37    1513427

Link

01/10/2013 21:42:39 (way back on page 1)
gaelsboy

who will represent leitrim in junior if no team is eligible?

I fired off an email to the Connacht Council in October 2012 out of curiosity after Leitrim Gaels won the Leitrim Junior Championship. Even if they had lost to Gortletteragh, they would still have taken part in the Connacht Junior Championship, identically to Eslin's situation as regards this year's Leitrim and Connacht Intermediate Championships. I mentioned how all the teams except Leitrim Gaels were second teams and asked whether "Leitrim Gaels would have been representing Leitrim no matter how well they had done in the Leitrim Junior A championship". The response: "Leitrim Gaels would have represented Leitrim if only eligible Junior A Club". I also asked "what would have happened if the Leitrim Junior A championship had consisted of no club's first team?" The answer was "No Eligible Club == no representation". So that explains what happened this year.

The draw was done last year (I believe the 2014 club championship draws have already taken place...?) and the Leitrim team in the Connacht Junior Championship was set to play the winners of the Roscommon and Sligo teams. A quick look at http://www.connachtgaa.ie/ss_club_champ.php?compGroupID=9911&leagueTable=N however shows that there is only one semi-final (due to the absence of Leitrim representation in that semi-final), thereby giving the winners of Fuerty and the Sligo representatives a bye to the final. And as it happened, there seems to have been no Sligo team either. I'll have to look for what happened there...

With Aughavas being the only first team in the 2014 Leitrim Junior A Championship, my guess is that they'll be representing the county in the 2014 Connacht Junior Championship no matter how well or badly they do.

UniGaa (back on page 2)
County: National

our clubs have played in 7 connacht finals losing them all
last final appearance was 1997 when allen gaels lost by 5 to corofin, the willies in 94 lost by 4 to tuam stars

everyone will argue which was the closest, i would be biased and say SOH in 86 losing to the great clan na gael team, still asking the question why the game was switched to cloone

It seems that Seán O'Heslin's ground suffered flooding which forced a hasty change of venue on the morning of the game, thus depriving the team of a home final. Link: http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/sport/sean-o-heslin-s-ask-for-a-quot-hand-with-the-stand-quot-1-2029739 />
09/11/2013 14:18:28
94allstar

As bad as leitrim Gaa currently is Sligo have abandoned Gaa altogether

Huh???

Now, in other news, when was the last time any Leitrim football team won (or drew) a game in any of the three grades of Connacht championship? Cloone went down by one point in the Connacht Intermediate Championship on October 1st 2009 to Leitir Mór of Galway in a game played in Salthill, and I don't know any anyone else has come as close lately.

Tacaí Liatroma (Leitrim) - Posts: 524 - 19/11/2013 13:26:30    1515222

Link

As far as my research goes tacai I do believe kiltubrid in 2005 is the last team to win and then draw a game in the connacht championship representing leitrim

Under manager Sean Hagan

I've been shouting it from the roof tops long enough lads and lassies

Get to the agms oust the people thay are holding back our talent and take the jobs yourselves

After 2-3 years you will reap the rewards of winning county championships and connacht games

Get off the fence

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 19/11/2013 15:34:03    1515309

Link

Carrigallen reached the intermediate final in 2006, they beat menlough on the way, the first Leitrim club ever to beat a galway club in any grade and still the only. Eslin reached the junior final in 2010 but can't remember who the beat on the way

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 430 - 19/11/2013 16:02:41    1515335

Link

Eslin beat the Rossies champs in 2010, think it was Kilmeen??

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 19/11/2013 20:51:00    1515505

Link

Eslin beat Ballinameen of Roscommon in the semi and then played Parke of Mayo in the Connacht Final in 2010

Leitrim12 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 19/11/2013 21:03:11    1515510

Link