13.C.Gaffney
14.K.Cox
15.L.Murphy

newyork2013 (Leitrim) - Posts: 23 - 21/06/2013 17:42:30    1412478

Link

I think Fowley is out injured.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2548 - 21/06/2013 18:12:35    1412505

Link

Good luck lads unsure weather may make it more fun!

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 22/06/2013 15:45:22    1412805

Link

25mins gone Mayo 1-2 Leitrim 0-2 a decent start i wonder can Leitrim keep it going for 60mins?

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2424 - 22/06/2013 17:54:09    1412882

Link

22/06/2013 17:54:09
Gaa_lover
County: USA

25mins gone Mayo 1-2 Leitrim 0-2 a decent start i wonder can Leitrim keep it going for 60mins?

No Mayo as expected are winning pulling up.

Mr_Pundit (UK) - Posts: 677 - 22/06/2013 18:42:02    1412922

Link

1-15 to 1-5 to Mayo in the end

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 281 - 22/06/2013 20:16:38    1412976

Link

Very unfair to be going out so early, but thats one of the flaws with the minor system. Mayo were not brilliant yesterday and were out played at midfield.

jnrchamps71 (Mayo) - Posts: 184 - 23/06/2013 18:55:41    1413523

Link

who played well on the leitrim side? any stars for the future?

leitrim23 (Leitrim) - Posts: 107 - 24/06/2013 12:25:40    1414121

Link

For all the training and prep that goes into it there should be a qualifier system at Minor Level. Give lads at that level more competition.

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 316 - 24/06/2013 15:31:22    1414418

Link

Agree. A further match in the form of qualifier match would be just service for the youngster's efforts all year. We could have no complaints but what about the likes of Sligo who were unlucky to lose and their year is over.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 27/06/2013 13:54:02    1416768

Link

Just on that. I was chatting to a man whose young lad was involved with the panel. He said that management had left no stone unturned all year with their preparation. Endless meetings in psychology, team bonding, strongman training, outside gym schedules etc were adopted and that we should have been confident going into the game. It was competitive in the first half with the Leitrim lads going in only three down. Unfortunately from there on in it was one way traffic with the young Mayo team upping the gears effortlessly rounding off a comfortable win in the end? How was this case when both teams trained just as hard as the other? These new methods of preparation are necessary but players seemed rusty in the basics-foot passing, marking, awareness, speed of thought, the actual game plan and method of play was all at a lower standard to Mayo's. I believe it was of a lower standard because of actual lack of competitive football games and a competitive structure within the county which I feel is contributing to our poor performances.

There needs to be more of an effort with our schools. The benefits of having a competitive schools team(s) can be seen in the other counties improvements. Why not enter an amalgamated Leitrim county school into the Connacht "A" competition next year? We must address this as the main priority going forward. This move would only but improve the players and ready them more for reaching required inter county standard. The majority of Mayo players playing at the weekend were from successful school winning teams with these teams being of a similar if not higher standard than the county minor teams as the schools would also take in the best players from neighbouring counties as well. The same can be said for the league winners Galway (St.Jarlath's and Gerald's) and Sligo (backboned by St. Attracta and Summerhill players) who put it up to favourites Roscommon. There definitely needs to be a rethink because we can't just expect to turn it on from a few mickey mouse league games.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 27/06/2013 14:22:41    1416802

Link

I agree

A big problem in our whole county at all levels is speed of thought

I'm glad you mentioned this as its the first time I seen it mentioned

A simple dummy, side pass, shadow, are all basic tricks if you will that have been round for years even centuries

Send a keeper or a full back left and shoot right is always a goal

Let on your passin the ball to a player on your left or right it gives you a split second to make space and shoot

Shadow the ball and if your man catches it be prepared to break it and ready to take it off him

A side pass is probably the most frustrating for any back line with 2 or even 3 forwards coming at them

You can let the ball off to the left run past your marker and collect on your right delivering a score with the game plan and quick side passing of your Wing forwards

It's simply 3 passes!

Of course being awake is another big help

No point in running beside your man when he is playing the ball up the field you need to be In front of him if you intend on stopping him

Just a few simple points that make football more enjoyable to play and watch

I have watched our minors training and playing this year and yes they are a decent bunch of lads and the gym has worked wonders for them but there is another level to be reached

Every other competitive county is there so should we!

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 27/06/2013 20:30:00    1417172

Link

The key difference between ourselves and Mayo is simple, they are a football mad county like us but have four times the pick. For every decent young midfielder we might uncover they will have 4 or 5 equally good lads. Results since the start of the provincial championships at all levels tell the tale. Well done to the minor lads and management for their efforts this year though.

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 27/06/2013 21:58:20    1417270

Link

Look if you have a good enough team that are up to the mark player pick won't come into it. I'm talking about offering these talented youngsters a chance to keep up with the other counties through more competitive matches. It is obvious that the other counties benefit greatly from playing in the higher grade schools competitions and I'm making a case for our inclusion. You will not get up to speed football wise pushing boulders around the place. Like I saw a quote in the observer with the minor manager saying if their fitness levels weren't as good the result could have been a whole pile worse? Instead of concentrating heavily on fitness management might have been better advised ramming home the method of play and outlining player roles more. Of course a qualifier system would offer management a chance to rectify and learn from mistakes aswell. That was a decent team and there are more good groups coming through with solid management in place who if given more support could achieve success.

fresherman (Leitrim) - Posts: 218 - 28/06/2013 11:19:04    1417444

Link

While Fresherman makes a few great points, I think the players that a minor manager gets to deal with are at a lower standard than any other county in Ireland. The work done at u-12 level is diaboical at club levels. Parents feeding their own egos with win at all costs attitudes and to hell with the development of the vital skills and encouraging children to be brave and imaginitive with a football in hand. I can never see a Eoin Mulligan moment where he dummied the hand pass coming from a Leitrim player because if he did try that with their club they'd be taken off.
The School team for the whole county is a great idea but remember Carrick and Drumshambo have a lot of Roscommon players in their school so we might do more to enhance their underage system (a system that doesn't need much boosting mind you) than our own. But along those lines are the ways to go.
A new coaching system and structures needs to be introduced with a respected man at the helm.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 29/06/2013 13:30:41    1418114

Link

I agree with fresherman. Was at u16 final yesterday and puke football has come to Leitrim. Mohill were shocking bad. This same team beat SOH by 27 pts 2 years ago. Full credit to Ollie and Joe Honeyman for a well drilled outfit but Mohill would want to get someone who can train and coach a team. It was shocking

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 29/06/2013 21:59:45    1418658

Link

i was over in castlebar for the minor match with hopes of leitrim putting a strong test against a mayo side. but was quickly disapointed. im not sure isit the coaching of these team through underage or isit on the management pick their panel cause there is some great talent in leitrim? as i left castlebar wondering why some good footballers were left out and some not so great footballers made the panel questions should be asked? im a north leitrim man myself and i had a few names in my head that looked impressive through minor club league and were not in castlebar!

liamog (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 02/07/2013 09:21:22    1421222

Link

What players are impressing at minor level. Do they have the potential to step up to senior in next few years. We badly need a powerful midfielder and a few scoring forwards. Is there reason to be hopeful ????

coppers.abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 89 - 03/07/2013 19:52:12    1423208

Link