Leitrim Forum

Best club pitch in county Leitrim

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It's a tough call between gorvagh and funshinagh both have county standard fields but they don't seem to get the championship games lately

I'm finding the inputs of this attention-seeking individual somewhat boring to be honest. This most recent "input of information" does nothing to address my issues. Gorvagh won a 4 in a row in the 1920's when, in fact, the Leitrim captaincy rested with the Gorvagh club (Jack Bohan in fact) who deferred to Tom Gannon

In the interest of fair play all round, I'm prepared to discuss the history of Gorvagh or Fenagh GAA with the contributor (94 all star) on this forum publicly.

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 632 - 10/11/2012 21:21:50    1295820

Link

Don't recall a boring opinion being requested from anybody

On a separate note the phrase banter is commonly used as a mixture of mild jokeing and Craic combined to create banter. Persons with personalities or those who are up for the bant normally join in and answer each other in a non insulting (mild slagging match) exchanges being had which normally is harmless and both parties normally enj

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 11/11/2012 09:54:51    1295846

Link

Don't recall a boring opinion being requested from anybody

On a separate note the phrase banter is commonly used as a mixture of mild jokeing and Craic combined to create banter. Persons with personalities or those who are up for the bant normally join in and answer each other in a non insulting (mild slagging match) exchanges being had which normally is harmless and both parties normally enjoy the banter

The home of banter is the gaa as it is our sport and banter has been a great part of the gaa since long before even the davitt league was founded going back to the time cuchulainn planted a sliotar in the hounds mouth

However bullying is a nontolerated act of insecurity normally carried out by insecure persons that don't have a personality or sense of humor , normally the persons in question have a power ,control and jealousy problems name calling would be classed as a major form of bullying and I have noticed in recent times when politicians in clubs were spoken of names were called and players told they wouldn't play division6 never mind 54321 and other phrases were used as a form of bullying by insecure persons that wouldn't face their target in real life. I would go as far as saying they probably wouldn't be man enough to as bully's are factually known as cowards.

To end this part of my point if players are generally not in a certain click or drink with a certain crowd or buy drink for certain individuals they simply don't get games. But when 14 or the bare 15 turn up to a game these players are used generally to hide the embarrassment created when the politicians buddies were a no show

This happens a lot with the facts I have given and in some cases it gets the green light in others it gets the red light and of this insecurity is going on in a club to be simply honest they deserve to be relegated

To return to boxtyeaters historical post and answer it I recall several clubs having had relatives play for them since the formation of the Gaelic league/ davitt league and before one club would be aughaslane geals Toms home club he played there with Reynolds that would be related to me. He was born in 1899 and in 1927 he captained Leitrim to our first ever Connacht title.

The great gorvagh team made history in the 20s winning 4 in a row so manor didn't make history it had been done before and mohill only had a small club at the time the 2 half parishes eslin and gorvagh dominated Leitrim football for a time

There was also a funshinagh team and a club called shemore this was a mix of Leitrim geals Mary's allengeals and kiltubrid players from the locality I'm not sure if they ever won a county title

The gorvagh team made many county finals and won a few since the 20s but the club is long gone which is a pity there was also a football field in Laheen I'm not sure if they had a team or was it the kiltubrid team that used the grounds there was also a number of handball alleys in the most unusual places I know of 13 in 2 parishes and they don't even have road access never did

To get back on topic I'm sure these past clubs had some war like battles but insure it was face to face like men I wouldn't think they were refused jerseys an I would safely say the manager stayed in the country to manage his team but sometimes it's good to open a door to the past

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 11/11/2012 10:26:19    1295849

Link

On the topic that is on this post in relation to the best club pith i must say i was very impressed with the set up in Carrigallen today. An electric scoreboard and a pitch in good shape. Well done to all concerned

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 11/11/2012 19:42:30    1296164

Link

Allen Gaels, Leitrim Gaels, Ballinamore, Mohil

newyork2013 (Leitrim) - Posts: 23 - 25/11/2012 21:10:28    1302774

Link

Drumkeerin won the award this year. they have a fine field down there now including gym and handball center. Great to see alot of leitrim club grounds being imporved recently

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 26/11/2012 17:19:18    1303047

Link

Ur nt serious no dey don't! Manor will soon have one of d best facilities arnd. Best grounds is ballinamore have gr8 facilities bt at aprice..

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 195 - 26/11/2012 17:49:18    1303064

Link

Ya they won it. They have made huge improvements on their pitch. I was at games in it this year. You can talk about manor till we see the finished product. But no doubt it will be one of the best in the county when completed.

lugdrum (Leitrim) - Posts: 234 - 26/11/2012 18:18:53    1303094

Link

Its a rotten pitch in Drumkeerin. Carrigallen have a lovely set up now. A credit to them

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 26/11/2012 21:26:14    1303243

Link

So i hear today on the grapevine that the pitch in Mohill is closed. How can that be after it being done up ? They will struggle to sell tickets or raise funds now. Was it Prunty done their pitch ?

badsilage (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 30/11/2012 13:48:15    1304805

Link

DRUMKEERIN and DRUMAHAIRE have the 2 worst pitches Carrigallen have great work done on there grounds, but ballinamore have the best playing surface in the county.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 30/11/2012 17:59:25    1304934

Link

Drumkeerin has a poor pitch mohill closed carrigallen the most improved pitch,ballinamore is way ahead there pitch is great to play on .And there warm up pitch dressing rooms and stand are a credit to them, i just do not understand how they do not get the best grounds award . If you look at both pitches and facilities ballinamore win hands down .

heinekenman (Leitrim) - Posts: 400 - 30/11/2012 18:06:06    1304936

Link

The best grounds award seems to be just passed around to each club year after year regardless of there pitch and facilities. Just giving every club it at different stages, just like the referee's award..
A pointless award if its won on a rotation strategy and not on merit,

LetHerAtIt (Leitrim) - Posts: 65 - 01/12/2012 14:59:09    1305168

Link