Leitrim Forum

Connacht Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Jesus no wonder players walk if this is the support they get in the county. Emlyn has had plenty of opportunity to walk before or indeed play for another county but never even entered his head , he always stated he would only play for Leitrim ... does it not look apparent to everyone Hyland style is way out there , and maybe he gave no respect to the older players who played through the barren years. Even when Hyland spoke on Sunday game it was all them and Leitrim no 'us' from him was so apparent he wanted to distance himself from the whole thing ... he has worked no miracles he inherited a team who hammered a division 2 in Louth and spend a half going toe to toe with a division 1 team and didn't look out of place last year plus add in the aughawillan players who would not play for their county last year (that no one seems to mind) and of course we have a strong playing hand .... we got promoted because we have the players to do so and he was the first manager in years to have a full hand... but a lot of wins in the league were papering over cracks.. If Mulligan left I have no doubt he felt he had no other choice and it was a difficult decision but a corner back been put on ahead of him at centre forward couldn't have helped and Reynolds not even getting a run when we were being cut open.... S&C is crap talk majority of these lads have been on panel for 3 years , a lot of Roscommon players same time on s&c programmed , we can't always be 4 years behind , tactically we were sent out to slaughter ...we have good footballers and the ones that left have never done it before so why now ... and finally Mulligan did not go to the papers or go public that he left he obviously tried to keep it quiet so the media and publicity comments are very unnecessary... a brilliant player , I hope he enjoys the time away and comes back fresh next year because he is a long way off finished

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 114 - 16/05/2019 20:35:45    2184721

Link

Replying To Robroy1:  "Jesus no wonder players walk if this is the support they get in the county. Emlyn has had plenty of opportunity to walk before or indeed play for another county but never even entered his head , he always stated he would only play for Leitrim ... does it not look apparent to everyone Hyland style is way out there , and maybe he gave no respect to the older players who played through the barren years. Even when Hyland spoke on Sunday game it was all them and Leitrim no 'us' from him was so apparent he wanted to distance himself from the whole thing ... he has worked no miracles he inherited a team who hammered a division 2 in Louth and spend a half going toe to toe with a division 1 team and didn't look out of place last year plus add in the aughawillan players who would not play for their county last year (that no one seems to mind) and of course we have a strong playing hand .... we got promoted because we have the players to do so and he was the first manager in years to have a full hand... but a lot of wins in the league were papering over cracks.. If Mulligan left I have no doubt he felt he had no other choice and it was a difficult decision but a corner back been put on ahead of him at centre forward couldn't have helped and Reynolds not even getting a run when we were being cut open.... S&C is crap talk majority of these lads have been on panel for 3 years , a lot of Roscommon players same time on s&c programmed , we can't always be 4 years behind , tactically we were sent out to slaughter ...we have good footballers and the ones that left have never done it before so why now ... and finally Mulligan did not go to the papers or go public that he left he obviously tried to keep it quiet so the media and publicity comments are very unnecessary... a brilliant player , I hope he enjoys the time away and comes back fresh next year because he is a long way off finished"
Wouldn't say he had a full hand to pick from this year. Last years captain Donal Wrynn and Leitrim's best forward keith Beirne both opted out. I don't think anyone is doubting the service of mulligan just he's not the loss he would have been a couple of years ago. I do agree he could still offer something to this group. But as a supporter I fully back this management team at least till after the league next season and see how that goes.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 16/05/2019 23:36:05    2184764

Link

Replying To Robroy1:  "Jesus no wonder players walk if this is the support they get in the county. Emlyn has had plenty of opportunity to walk before or indeed play for another county but never even entered his head , he always stated he would only play for Leitrim ... does it not look apparent to everyone Hyland style is way out there , and maybe he gave no respect to the older players who played through the barren years. Even when Hyland spoke on Sunday game it was all them and Leitrim no 'us' from him was so apparent he wanted to distance himself from the whole thing ... he has worked no miracles he inherited a team who hammered a division 2 in Louth and spend a half going toe to toe with a division 1 team and didn't look out of place last year plus add in the aughawillan players who would not play for their county last year (that no one seems to mind) and of course we have a strong playing hand .... we got promoted because we have the players to do so and he was the first manager in years to have a full hand... but a lot of wins in the league were papering over cracks.. If Mulligan left I have no doubt he felt he had no other choice and it was a difficult decision but a corner back been put on ahead of him at centre forward couldn't have helped and Reynolds not even getting a run when we were being cut open.... S&C is crap talk majority of these lads have been on panel for 3 years , a lot of Roscommon players same time on s&c programmed , we can't always be 4 years behind , tactically we were sent out to slaughter ...we have good footballers and the ones that left have never done it before so why now ... and finally Mulligan did not go to the papers or go public that he left he obviously tried to keep it quiet so the media and publicity comments are very unnecessary... a brilliant player , I hope he enjoys the time away and comes back fresh next year because he is a long way off finished"
Robroy... you say "Even when Hyland spoke on Sunday game it was all them and Leitrim no 'us' from him was so apparent he wanted to distance himself from the whole thing".

That's just simply not true......

You can listen to his interview on the RTE player...... in terms of describing the team, he says "Leitrim" or "they" twice , and says "we" or "we'll" or four times. Full text was "Leitrim is probably four or five years physically behind these lads in conditioning and you could see that as the game wore on. But look it they've a lot to work on but at least we know where we are and what we have to do to get better. And we'll work from there"

Stick to the facts please. Youre generally a level headed and informed commentator so don't let unchecked assumptions ruin that. It's been a hard enough week without people just regurgitating stuff without checking the facts and in some cases (though not you RR in fairness) exaggerating stuff and trying to create a divide between players and management. It was a bad day at the office; some lads aren't happy they weren't picked and have decided to pack it in. So be it.

I agree with your points on Emlyn and his service to us; there's just a couple of jealous trolls out there that don't want to admit he was a great servant, or deal in facts. Don't stoop to that level

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 72 - 17/05/2019 16:10:31    2184983

Link

Last few posts have balance to them, Emlyn certainly was a great servant as was a Gary.
The problem I see it is the management hit on a winning formula in the rounds of the league prior to the final, then decided to tweak it, far too much in my mind but then again easy to say when you are not privy to what goes on in training.
The lack of S&C development is a red herring, lads that can run will run, Shane Moran wasn't found lacking physically and he had a year out and don't think he has much more done in the gym than a lot of them.
Things we knew prior to Sunday;
Aidan Flynn and Jack Heslin are dynamic type of players who evade tackles when carrying the ball like Micheal McWeeney, Paddy McGuire and Ray Mulvey, their speed is sufficient for them to open up space and put teams on the back foot yet those first two didn't start.
Fergal McTague transformed into a good full back last year. He has been hampered with injury since early February and not going well with club. And he is started at midfield. He was the sacrificial lamb.
The day was a hot day, a day for fit and fast runners yet we started three very slow players.
Passing was poor coming into the game from key players especially from the boot and that continued on Sunday giving Ryan little or no chance to shine.
Prior to Croke Park we had a team united on and off the field and how in the space of over a month the whole thing has gone to shreds. Losing Conor and Dara was bad but losing more since is careless. These are the future of Leitrim's only chance to shine and this year leaves a sour taste in what started off so well.
This all sounds negative towards Management but read it right, it was their selection that got players back wearing the green, it was them who got belief into the players, it was them who ensured we got promoted and made the final. That's a lot of right decisions that they must be credited with. Where I think they have made a mistake is trying too soon to improve things, seeking perfection not realizing their original selections were as good as it gets with maybe blooding a few younger lads gradually. Our full back line was our best line in the league yet our half back line could have done with building up. Full back line is the foundation and if that's shaky it makes for an unsteady team. All management has to do now is review all the things they got right in the main and tweak a few spots where pace is a problem and we could have 3 games in the qualifiers. All is not lost.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 856 - 17/05/2019 19:25:24    2185038

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Wouldn't say he had a full hand to pick from this year. Last years captain Donal Wrynn and Leitrim's best forward keith Beirne both opted out. I don't think anyone is doubting the service of mulligan just he's not the loss he would have been a couple of years ago. I do agree he could still offer something to this group. But as a supporter I fully back this management team at least till after the league next season and see how that goes."
While I take your points Keith although top scorer in league tailed off and left panel after Roscommon game , he wanted to come back to panel but was told no which I think was right under the circumstances, again another to look to next year and yes agree with you when Donal Wrynn, but again he was back at training games before championship so was an option just not early in the year ..my point was and obviously I wasn't very clear I feel it was just not about not being picked for Emlyn there was obviously more to it and I felt some comments were very harsh and a man that served us so well.

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 114 - 17/05/2019 19:54:39    2185043

Link

Replying To leitrimlhady:  "Robroy... you say "Even when Hyland spoke on Sunday game it was all them and Leitrim no 'us' from him was so apparent he wanted to distance himself from the whole thing".

That's just simply not true......

You can listen to his interview on the RTE player...... in terms of describing the team, he says "Leitrim" or "they" twice , and says "we" or "we'll" or four times. Full text was "Leitrim is probably four or five years physically behind these lads in conditioning and you could see that as the game wore on. But look it they've a lot to work on but at least we know where we are and what we have to do to get better. And we'll work from there"

Stick to the facts please. Youre generally a level headed and informed commentator so don't let unchecked assumptions ruin that. It's been a hard enough week without people just regurgitating stuff without checking the facts and in some cases (though not you RR in fairness) exaggerating stuff and trying to create a divide between players and management. It was a bad day at the office; some lads aren't happy they weren't picked and have decided to pack it in. So be it.

I agree with your points on Emlyn and his service to us; there's just a couple of jealous trolls out there that don't want to admit he was a great servant, or deal in facts. Don't stoop to that level"
I stand corrected if that's the case I genuinely honed in on the word 'they ' and my blood boiled so with my fragile mental state of I got it right then hands up. My intention is in no way to cause a divide far from it , just find it hard to understand the flippant comments towards one of footballers who has suffered many set backs but always but Leitrim first ... as I said don't think it was just throwing dummies out of the prank but more to it. Anyway only the people involved will know that . I do believe he will be a loss but that's just my opinion , experience is essential with some much youth

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 114 - 17/05/2019 19:58:08    2185046

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Last few posts have balance to them, Emlyn certainly was a great servant as was a Gary.
The problem I see it is the management hit on a winning formula in the rounds of the league prior to the final, then decided to tweak it, far too much in my mind but then again easy to say when you are not privy to what goes on in training.
The lack of S&C development is a red herring, lads that can run will run, Shane Moran wasn't found lacking physically and he had a year out and don't think he has much more done in the gym than a lot of them.
Things we knew prior to Sunday;
Aidan Flynn and Jack Heslin are dynamic type of players who evade tackles when carrying the ball like Micheal McWeeney, Paddy McGuire and Ray Mulvey, their speed is sufficient for them to open up space and put teams on the back foot yet those first two didn't start.
Fergal McTague transformed into a good full back last year. He has been hampered with injury since early February and not going well with club. And he is started at midfield. He was the sacrificial lamb.
The day was a hot day, a day for fit and fast runners yet we started three very slow players.
Passing was poor coming into the game from key players especially from the boot and that continued on Sunday giving Ryan little or no chance to shine.
Prior to Croke Park we had a team united on and off the field and how in the space of over a month the whole thing has gone to shreds. Losing Conor and Dara was bad but losing more since is careless. These are the future of Leitrim's only chance to shine and this year leaves a sour taste in what started off so well.
This all sounds negative towards Management but read it right, it was their selection that got players back wearing the green, it was them who got belief into the players, it was them who ensured we got promoted and made the final. That's a lot of right decisions that they must be credited with. Where I think they have made a mistake is trying too soon to improve things, seeking perfection not realizing their original selections were as good as it gets with maybe blooding a few younger lads gradually. Our full back line was our best line in the league yet our half back line could have done with building up. Full back line is the foundation and if that's shaky it makes for an unsteady team. All management has to do now is review all the things they got right in the main and tweak a few spots where pace is a problem and we could have 3 games in the qualifiers. All is not lost."
This is the best Summary of the situation I have seen or heard since last Sunday , informed and well thought out , excellent read... 3 wins in qualifiers be some achievement , here's hoping the journey continues

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 114 - 18/05/2019 09:53:23    2185130

Link

Replying To Robroy1:  "This is the best Summary of the situation I have seen or heard since last Sunday , informed and well thought out , excellent read... 3 wins in qualifiers be some achievement , here's hoping the journey continues"
So much negativity after the best season we have enjoyed in decades. Nobody seems to know why Terry @ his 3 selectors abandoned the format & tactics of our League winning run. The question now is how will Leitrim line out in the Qualifiers ? Will Shane go back to midfield which we conceded to the Rossies. Will Jack & Ryan be used wider rather being confined to hopeful punts and forced into the middle. Will Paddy be our centre half to stop the opposition running through us. Will Diarmuid be recalled after Cathal's failed experiment. Question : Did Cathal do any better than Diarmuid? Maybe the combined experience of our regular posters might address our future - the Roscommon game is no longer-relevant other than the questions it raises why Leitrim changed so fundamentally from the League. Terry does need to address that in fairness to Leitrim supporters who in the main only want Leitrim to perform to its best ability.The loss of Emlyn & Gary is very sad- great servants but both obviously believe there is no future for them in the Leitrim line up. I still believe Daragh will be available for the League he is too good a player to leave at such a young age. The future is still bright and all of the available squad are up for the Qualifiers. Who will forget the joy of the players after the Louth win-)these guys have tasted success and want more if it- so encourage them.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 56 - 20/05/2019 17:59:11    2186018

Link

Now we have a settled panel following the departure of some of the lesser squad players we can look forward to Leitrim in the qualifiers and having our best team playing on the field. We have to hope for a favourable draw.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 130 - 21/05/2019 09:16:38    2186168

Link