Leitrim Forum

Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

There is incredulous stuff being written here in an already tense time in Leitrim football, as we await Coach Guckians decision on whether he wants to remain at the helm of the good ship Leitrim.
People are talking about managers already working like McGeeney and McStay being brought to Leitrim, can they not see how unrealistic these ideas are, and Peter Canavan mentioned too who is a shoe in for Tyrone when that post becomes available in the not too distant future.
There are talented coaches such as Padraic Davis and Aidan Rooney ready and able, presuming Davis isn't waiting for Longford job.
Saying such and such a player deserves somebody sends out the wrong message, nobody is bigger than the jersey and some mentioned don't deserve the adulation they get on this forum.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 03/07/2018 12:21:38    2118067

Link

I do feel Benny has gained some respect from the proper leitrim supporters over the last couple of games. However I feel it is the right time for him to step away. Loosing to Monaghan by 13 points can't really be applauded or else we will always be in div 4. i do believe the best players are playing for leitrim now with the exception of 3/4. Tbf to the management they have brought a lot of young lads on which will benefit our push for promotion next season and if it does happen that we get promoted the current management team will have to be given a lot of credit for it even if they won't be at the helm. I would Definetly try fergal o Donnell who lives in Boyle 10 min drive from center of excellence he might even get David Casey to go along With him who will have 2 season done with the neds and will no leitrim football well at this stage. James Horan would be a serious appointment but can't see him coming near us tbh. Declan darcy would be another top man along with James clancy and enda Lyons. We have to aim high as a county in order to fulfill the potential this current squad clearly has. Over to you Terrence, Martin, attracta to make this happen for the over all good of the future of leitrim football

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 03/07/2018 13:38:05    2118086

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I do feel Benny has gained some respect from the proper leitrim supporters over the last couple of games. However I feel it is the right time for him to step away. Loosing to Monaghan by 13 points can't really be applauded or else we will always be in div 4. i do believe the best players are playing for leitrim now with the exception of 3/4. Tbf to the management they have brought a lot of young lads on which will benefit our push for promotion next season and if it does happen that we get promoted the current management team will have to be given a lot of credit for it even if they won't be at the helm. I would Definetly try fergal o Donnell who lives in Boyle 10 min drive from center of excellence he might even get David Casey to go along With him who will have 2 season done with the neds and will no leitrim football well at this stage. James Horan would be a serious appointment but can't see him coming near us tbh. Declan darcy would be another top man along with James clancy and enda Lyons. We have to aim high as a county in order to fulfill the potential this current squad clearly has. Over to you Terrence, Martin, attracta to make this happen for the over all good of the future of leitrim football"
Why is Declan Darcy's name popping up time and again? He is a selector on the Dublin team, lives and works in Dublin so why on earth would he take on Leitrim? Am I missing something because that suggestion is absolute fantasy.

Maybe he has expressed a keen interest that I don't know of, please confirm.

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 04/07/2018 16:23:39    2118538

Link

He is not a selector with Dublin this year but still listed as having some involvement. He is involved with the Dublin county ladies under 14 team of which is daughter is a panelist. Why not ask these people? What's the worst they can say, might tell a few home truths in declining the job that might improve the set up.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 04/07/2018 17:15:37    2118557

Link

Replying To Frawnci3:  "Why is Declan Darcy's name popping up time and again? He is a selector on the Dublin team, lives and works in Dublin so why on earth would he take on Leitrim? Am I missing something because that suggestion is absolute fantasy.

Maybe he has expressed a keen interest that I don't know of, please confirm."
I would say if Dublin don't win the all-ireland this year gavin and his back room team might step away. If darcy wants to get into intercounty management then leitrim would be a stepping stone to that. Dublin to annaduff isn't a big commute. It's a team with potential and also a team that could make a big name for a manager if successful.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 04/07/2018 17:19:22    2118559

Link

Look, our status as a footballing county means that we won't be shopping in the same market as some of the elite counties when looking for a manager so our expectations shouldn't be for Jimmy McGuinness or James Horan etc. but that doesn't mean we can't be smart or not get better than what we have at the moment. This is the least we can do to give ourselves the best opportunity of success.

Any search should start with posing the question to Declan Darcy. The worst he can say is no. If he does say "no" than immediately ask him to be the main man headhunting the next management team. There's nobody with a link to Leitrim that tics more boxes. He was an unbelievably respected club and county footballer, he has successfully coached one of the best teams ever at senior and U21 level and he even will know the scenario Dublin born or based players are in and the commitment that they will have to make. In his time within the Dublin set up he will also have formed connections with experts in regards to nutrition, S&C, coaching and most crucially he will know how to form a winning culture and the standards that the players must adhere to become successful.

What we should do is look at young up and coming managers who are trying to prove a point or who will be looking for one of the stronger teams jobs in a year or two but it has to be someone who has already been somewhat successful so that they can gain a buy in from all the players in the county. Pauric Davis is probably the easiest and least risky appointment but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at other options. John Divilly has won two sigersons and has been coaching both ours and other Dublin based county players during the week and will be in the frame for the next Galway manager so he will be looking to get on the circuit. Nigel Dineen has a strong reputation in Roscommon, Alan Flynn from Galway has been looked at before. Tony McEntee I would assume won't be returning to Mayo as an assistant and Oisin McConville would be interesting. One name I would like to see offered an interview is Donie Buckley the Kerryman who has been Mayo's defence coach for the past few years. He is known to be one of the best technical coaches in the game and anyone who has been at any of his coaching workshops with James Glancy will tell you how impressive he is. Leitrim could give him a relatively pressure free zone to manage a team outright. Mick Bohan the former Dublin skills coach and now Dublin ladies manager would be another progressive appointment and our basic skills is one area where we have the capabilities to really improve on. Then there is the likes of Fergal O'Donnell, Terry Hyland, Damien Diver (who was in contention for the Donegal job) Fergal Logan and Brian Dooher have both had successes with underage panels in Tyrone. Luke Dempsey, Pillar Caffery could be an outside bet, Even Paul Curran who has been coaching cub teams in Dublin and who was previously over club teams in Roscommon. Pascal Kellaghan the former Offally footballer is also highly regarded and won championships with Rhode in Ofally and was over Athy in Kildare and was with Tipp seniors this year aswell. Banty would surely consider it if there was a good offer, Pat Flanagan who used to be with Paidi O'Se and has since been with Westmeath, Offally and Laois. And finally one I like, Jason Ryan who used to manage Wexford and Kildare. He is still relatively young and has gained both good and bad experiences while working with top class players in his previous gigs.

I obviously understand that the county board won't even consider or think of half of these names if Benny and co. do move on but money shouldn't be a problem after our fundraising and high profile result in New York. I've also just mentioned these names to highlight that there is viable options that we could possibly get that would take us onto the next level. The County Board have a duty to drive this whole thing on now and not just settle for second best once again.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 04/07/2018 20:44:47    2118637

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "Look, our status as a footballing county means that we won't be shopping in the same market as some of the elite counties when looking for a manager so our expectations shouldn't be for Jimmy McGuinness or James Horan etc. but that doesn't mean we can't be smart or not get better than what we have at the moment. This is the least we can do to give ourselves the best opportunity of success.

Any search should start with posing the question to Declan Darcy. The worst he can say is no. If he does say "no" than immediately ask him to be the main man headhunting the next management team. There's nobody with a link to Leitrim that tics more boxes. He was an unbelievably respected club and county footballer, he has successfully coached one of the best teams ever at senior and U21 level and he even will know the scenario Dublin born or based players are in and the commitment that they will have to make. In his time within the Dublin set up he will also have formed connections with experts in regards to nutrition, S&C, coaching and most crucially he will know how to form a winning culture and the standards that the players must adhere to become successful.

What we should do is look at young up and coming managers who are trying to prove a point or who will be looking for one of the stronger teams jobs in a year or two but it has to be someone who has already been somewhat successful so that they can gain a buy in from all the players in the county. Pauric Davis is probably the easiest and least risky appointment but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at other options. John Divilly has won two sigersons and has been coaching both ours and other Dublin based county players during the week and will be in the frame for the next Galway manager so he will be looking to get on the circuit. Nigel Dineen has a strong reputation in Roscommon, Alan Flynn from Galway has been looked at before. Tony McEntee I would assume won't be returning to Mayo as an assistant and Oisin McConville would be interesting. One name I would like to see offered an interview is Donie Buckley the Kerryman who has been Mayo's defence coach for the past few years. He is known to be one of the best technical coaches in the game and anyone who has been at any of his coaching workshops with James Glancy will tell you how impressive he is. Leitrim could give him a relatively pressure free zone to manage a team outright. Mick Bohan the former Dublin skills coach and now Dublin ladies manager would be another progressive appointment and our basic skills is one area where we have the capabilities to really improve on. Then there is the likes of Fergal O'Donnell, Terry Hyland, Damien Diver (who was in contention for the Donegal job) Fergal Logan and Brian Dooher have both had successes with underage panels in Tyrone. Luke Dempsey, Pillar Caffery could be an outside bet, Even Paul Curran who has been coaching cub teams in Dublin and who was previously over club teams in Roscommon. Pascal Kellaghan the former Offally footballer is also highly regarded and won championships with Rhode in Ofally and was over Athy in Kildare and was with Tipp seniors this year aswell. Banty would surely consider it if there was a good offer, Pat Flanagan who used to be with Paidi O'Se and has since been with Westmeath, Offally and Laois. And finally one I like, Jason Ryan who used to manage Wexford and Kildare. He is still relatively young and has gained both good and bad experiences while working with top class players in his previous gigs.

I obviously understand that the county board won't even consider or think of half of these names if Benny and co. do move on but money shouldn't be a problem after our fundraising and high profile result in New York. I've also just mentioned these names to highlight that there is viable options that we could possibly get that would take us onto the next level. The County Board have a duty to drive this whole thing on now and not just settle for second best once again."
Yea I agree with everything you say. The county board should put a wish List together from 1-10 and start with the very top man they want and see how it goes from there. Jim mcguinness being number 1 and maybe banty 10 go through them all and see who's interested in the role

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 04/07/2018 21:47:33    2118653

Link

I found it refreshing reading Mick McWeeney's comments in the Observer yesterday. He essentially threw the gauntlet down to the Co. Board to incentivise players to stay around either by making links to find them employment or whatever.

This is essential and something that is rampant in other counties, Longford and Roscommon in particular I know have gone to great lengths in the recent past to keep key players working in their county.

Sort students / lads that aren't teachers or guards out with a 9-5 that allows them to play their football. Should be easier now than 5-6 years ago given the economy has improved.

____

I would certainly approve of D'Arcy being a point of contact regarding possible backroom staff and headhunting if Benny was to step back. Wouldn't think for a minute he'd even dream of taking it.

Players want Benny and Co. to stay and that's grand but he has to go and offer an olive branch to the lads who wouldn't commit and get them on board for the sake of progression and panel depth.

Lads have to buy in and not throw a strop and leave just because they feel they *should* be playing when they're not.

Benny of course also has to decide if he can get much more out of these lads as a group. As any player knows, after two years the voice gets stale unless cups are being won, hence you see such a turnover at club level, the Merry Go Round as it were.

____

League has to be the focus. I would settle for not being promoted next year if we could finish top half and use that as a springboard for qualifiers. If we do manage it, so much the better, progress has to be incremental, not overnight.

No such thing as an overnight success, again I reference Carlow's progression in successive years before they were promoted,

If management changes I would like to see a committee of Chairman, PRO, Coaching Officer, & D'Arcy headhunt new candidates.

____

FInal thought: What's the story with O'Mahoney - has he been about at training or does he be up in the stand at games. Is he adding much to the set up I wonder?

Dodgy_Pass (Leitrim) - Posts: 314 - 05/07/2018 13:10:29    2118814

Link

For the past number of years the following has happened:
FBD time there is great enthusiasm within the county and players seem up for the challenge of a new football season.
Fund raising is in full swing and coach loads of fans head to Dublin for a night of speeches , fund raising and great hope.
League starts and we lose a few games and promotion is gone and crowds dwindle.
Still there s a chance with Connacht depending who we get and more than likely bar London or NY we end up getting beaten.
Just when qualifiers are about to start some Players leave to travel for the summer or play football else or are annoyed about something.
We lose in the qualifiers eventually and we decide to blame the set up and names of other coaches appear on these pages.
We all know what the definition of insanity is.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 05/07/2018 15:13:09    2118848

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "For the past number of years the following has happened:
FBD time there is great enthusiasm within the county and players seem up for the challenge of a new football season.
Fund raising is in full swing and coach loads of fans head to Dublin for a night of speeches , fund raising and great hope.
League starts and we lose a few games and promotion is gone and crowds dwindle.
Still there s a chance with Connacht depending who we get and more than likely bar London or NY we end up getting beaten.
Just when qualifiers are about to start some Players leave to travel for the summer or play football else or are annoyed about something.
We lose in the qualifiers eventually and we decide to blame the set up and names of other coaches appear on these pages.
We all know what the definition of insanity is."
And also the constant mantra we have a great Minor team this year etc and it doesn't pan out that way

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 06/07/2018 12:13:21    2119098

Link

We're at a crossroads now as far as im concerned. There is good young players emerging with potential but as the Monaghan game showed we need a lot more S and C work to get up to the level they are at. Im not saying we should be looking at connacht finals or super 8 that's way out of reach but the league has to be our starting point. We need as strong a panel as possible and cant have this situation of lads coming on and dropping off a panel whenever they choose. I have great time for Benny Guckian and his management team they made mistakes but in the main tbey done a good job in difficult circumstances and blooded a lot of good young players which will serve us well into the future. However i think now is the time for a change and a fresh voice to push us on to the next level (promotion) . The likes of Padraig Davis , Fergal O'Donnell,David Casey ,Dominic Corrigan just to name a few are experienced managers that have tasted success and some have a point to prove also so would be worth sounding out at least. It would be great to get Declan Darcy involved too . It's vital we push on keep this squad together and get whatever players that cant/wont commit back in the squad and push on for promotion to division 3 and build grom there. We're never going to compete with the Roscommmons Monaghans etc of this world in division 4 . Clare snd Longford have shown the way for us its time we followed.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 359 - 08/07/2018 11:33:49    2119550

Link

A decision has to made soon- either guckian stays or goes- if he stays it may not be as bad as some think, now i have been a very harsh critic of his but overall looking back on the year I feel small small steps of progress have been made, small surely but you can see it none the less and if he can continue this may snowball more.

However my preference would be for a new man to take over. Either way a decision has to be made soon because if he goes surely a new man has to be in place before the club championships starts and he can cast an eye over the talent in action. The new position will take time to get right and we will be running out if that time soon if guckian decides to walk away

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 09/07/2018 19:13:38    2120142

Link

Did Brendan not get a two year contract? So its not really his decision per se. He can request an extension to his contract however there are no guarantees that it would be granted as that lies with the County Board and would probably need to be ratified at a County Board level so the decision is ultimately back with the clubs.

Agree the team have made progress towards the end of the league and that was evident in the championship also (apart from the Ros game), I also feel the management team learned a lot themselves over the two years which is also important. There are both positives and risks to the current management team staying on. The main positive being that the team will have some consistency now for two years, there will be no need for a trawl of the county going into a league campaign as the mngt will know what they have available to them. The risks are that things might go stale and players will feel this and as a result may lack motivation. Some players may also not commit if the current mngt team stay on (they may not commit anyway regardless of mngt, so wouldn't be too bothered with these players anyway).

If the current management team decided to bring in a new face and freshen things up ever so slightly, like an Oisin McConville or Andy McEntee and let John O'Mahony move on or take up a different role it could be a very attractive solution for everyone going forward. Time will tell

Nelson (Leitrim) - Posts: 141 - 10/07/2018 12:38:22    2120345

Link

Replying To Nelson:  "Did Brendan not get a two year contract? So its not really his decision per se. He can request an extension to his contract however there are no guarantees that it would be granted as that lies with the County Board and would probably need to be ratified at a County Board level so the decision is ultimately back with the clubs.

Agree the team have made progress towards the end of the league and that was evident in the championship also (apart from the Ros game), I also feel the management team learned a lot themselves over the two years which is also important. There are both positives and risks to the current management team staying on. The main positive being that the team will have some consistency now for two years, there will be no need for a trawl of the county going into a league campaign as the mngt will know what they have available to them. The risks are that things might go stale and players will feel this and as a result may lack motivation. Some players may also not commit if the current mngt team stay on (they may not commit anyway regardless of mngt, so wouldn't be too bothered with these players anyway).

If the current management team decided to bring in a new face and freshen things up ever so slightly, like an Oisin McConville or Andy McEntee and let John O'Mahony move on or take up a different role it could be a very attractive solution for everyone going forward. Time will tell"
Brendan did get a two year contract and those two years are now up

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 10/07/2018 16:48:44    2120451

Link

Looks like Benny is going to stay on for another year as I see Moyles has stepped away for personal reason. He's a huge loss to the set up imo. However if the current management set up decide to stay then we need to get behind them. I'd prefer a new management team but regardless we need to get fully behind this young team at the end of the day it's them that takes to the field.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 16/07/2018 14:06:57    2122719

Link