Galway Forum

The Worst Day

(Oldest Posts First)

Following on from the memories thread, what were the worst day you've experienced.
1983 Vs Dublin(was only a toddler dont remember), 2013 vs Mayo in Pearse, 2001 vs Ros in Tuam, 1997 or 1999 vs Mayo in Tuam, 1997 vs KK in Thurles, 2001 vs Tipp Final(still think we were robbed), 2007 vs Sligo.
For me it would probably be the 2006 qualifier vs Westmeath, just thought we were poor supporters included and then to top it off, Ja comes out of retirement and gets injured about 5 minutes in.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 356 - 29/04/2020 10:42:04    2276982

Link

I'd prefer to think about the good days at the moment. Lockdown is hard enough without spending time thinking about our worst days out! The best days might be yet to come!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 29/04/2020 19:05:13    2277037

Link

All of mine would be hurling, and sadly far too many too mention like the 1990 final v Cork, 2004 qualifier against Kilkenny in Thurles when we got destroyed, 2009 and 2011 against Waterford, and the 2018 final against Limerick when we just didn't turn up.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 30/04/2020 10:48:39    2277079

Link

Replying To gilly1910:  "All of mine would be hurling, and sadly far too many too mention like the 1990 final v Cork, 2004 qualifier against Kilkenny in Thurles when we got destroyed, 2009 and 2011 against Waterford, and the 2018 final against Limerick when we just didn't turn up."
I would not be too hard on the 2018 team. They lost to the eventual champions by a point, as that did in '16 (v Tipp). It should be noted that Limerick team also beat Tipp, Cork and Kilkenny on the way to ultimate success. Only two other teams, Clare in '97 and Waterford in 59 have beaten the big three on the way to All Ireland victory. The fact is they lost an All Ireland Final by a single point- hardly a performance that suggests a team did not turn up

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 134 - 30/04/2020 20:58:14    2277147

Link

In football it's hard to look beyond 2013 against Mayo. That was a truly awful day, made worse by the 2 sendings off.
In different circumstances I'd probably be saying Antrim 2012, but had more important personal things to be worrying about than football at that particular time.

Hurling? Jeez, I could be here all night, but the hammering by Waterford in 2011 stands out. I was also very disappointed after the semi-final defeat to Kilkenny in 2000- another All-Ireland that got away.

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 381 - 30/04/2020 22:44:03    2277160

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "I would not be too hard on the 2018 team. They lost to the eventual champions by a point, as that did in '16 (v Tipp). It should be noted that Limerick team also beat Tipp, Cork and Kilkenny on the way to ultimate success. Only two other teams, Clare in '97 and Waterford in 59 have beaten the big three on the way to All Ireland victory. The fact is they lost an All Ireland Final by a single point- hardly a performance that suggests a team did not turn up"
There is no doubt that Limerick thoroughly deserved their All Ireland win in 2018, and they were the outstanding team for most of that year. We played in fits and starts all year, with arguably our best performance against Kilkenny in the Leinster Final Replay, but even that game saw us play in fits and starts. For the final against Limerick we were strangely flat for most of the game, and we gifted Limerick two of their goals. So as someone who has had some horrific days out watching the Galway hurlers, for me unfortunately it was up there with some of the really bad days, as yet again it was a case of us 'not turning up'. Yes you may argue that maybe Limerick didn't let them, but bar the last seven or eight minutes you never really felt that Galway were firing on all cylinders.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 01/05/2020 10:34:42    2277178

Link

Replying To gilly1910:  "All of mine would be hurling, and sadly far too many too mention like the 1990 final v Cork, 2004 qualifier against Kilkenny in Thurles when we got destroyed, 2009 and 2011 against Waterford, and the 2018 final against Limerick when we just didn't turn up."
'didn't turn up'? Maybe our ashes 'turned up', two weeks after having to burn ourselves to a frazzle to overcome Clare on a roaster of a day, in a replay that likely Clare would never have earned without the help of referee James Owens.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2350 - 01/05/2020 15:27:13    2277212

Link

In hurling, i'd say Offaly '81 final, and Cork '90 final, would be 'down there'.

In football, losing to Leitrim at 'fortress Tuam' in back to back championships of 1993 & 1994, seemed like a heck of a nadir at the time. The more recent 2016 q-final humiliation in Croker against 'the mighty Tipp' was another serious blow to our delusions of grandeur in the code.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2350 - 01/05/2020 15:38:18    2277215

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "'didn't turn up'? Maybe our ashes 'turned up', two weeks after having to burn ourselves to a frazzle to overcome Clare on a roaster of a day, in a replay that likely Clare would never have earned without the help of referee James Owens."
Well they certainly 'turned up' in the last 10 minutes, and probably would have gone to at the very least draw had the game gone on for another couple of minutes.

gilly1910 (Galway) - Posts: 81 - 01/05/2020 16:04:33    2277218

Link

Replying To gilly1910:  "Well they certainly 'turned up' in the last 10 minutes, and probably would have gone to at the very least draw had the game gone on for another couple of minutes."
Did we 'turn up', or did Limerick 'blow up'? Did Limerick get a major dose of white line fever sh*ts at the end of that game? If they didn't, one might certainly argue that it was another title that got away from Galway.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2350 - 01/05/2020 16:18:20    2277221

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Did we 'turn up', or did Limerick 'blow up'? Did Limerick get a major dose of white line fever sh*ts at the end of that game? If they didn't, one might certainly argue that it was another title that got away from Galway."
Yes, there was an element of 'blow up', in my humble opinion, for Limerick. Lynch should have kept going himself, and made sure of the' goal', like he actually did against Cork, and not given the ball to Flanagan. Having said that James Skehill made a really brave and brilliant save. From about twenty minutes into the second half, Limerick shot ten wides. Having said that both teams hit about twenty wides each and between them scored thirty nine times. So there was about eighty shots on goal in about the same number of minutes. Some movement for one game.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 134 - 02/05/2020 10:40:39    2277272

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "'didn't turn up'? Maybe our ashes 'turned up', two weeks after having to burn ourselves to a frazzle to overcome Clare on a roaster of a day, in a replay that likely Clare would never have earned without the help of referee James Owens."
Agreed on replay, for me, not finishing Clare off the first day was the killer . We also had KK replay, so tank was all but empty for the Final which Limerick deserved on the day, no complaints. Not their fault we were running on fumes.

Last play v Clare we had a line ball which went to keeper, should have gone dead or up the line, and Clare scored from last attack.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 398 - 03/05/2020 16:41:15    2277369

Link

Replying To conordee:  "Agreed on replay, for me, not finishing Clare off the first day was the killer . We also had KK replay, so tank was all but empty for the Final which Limerick deserved on the day, no complaints. Not their fault we were running on fumes.

Last play v Clare we had a line ball which went to keeper, should have gone dead or up the line, and Clare scored from last attack."
Pretty sure it did go dead and they scored from puck out. They should took the line ball short along the line and got bodies around ball to make it unplayable so ref would have to throw it in again and make it messy. Putting ball dead gave Clare chance to build one last attack.

We were well beat in final one point is not a reflection of Limerick dominance on the day

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1085 - 05/05/2020 09:48:29    2277525

Link