National Forum

Popular Posts from Laois76

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Michael Duignan on Sky coverage and the GAA - 40 Like(s)

Replying To streaker:  "They could just illegally stream it like the rest of us?...."
My mother is 83 and father 91, they wouldn't be too well versed in illegal streaming.

Laois76 (National) - 09/07/2017 23:03:05

Kerry v Mayo - 37 Like(s)

Replying To KY4SAM2015:  "Jaysus man your having a field day this evening when your numerous anti Kerry posts after our loss today, give it a break til the morning."
There's no time like the present KY4SAM2015. Just the attempts to rough up Mayo today, Donaghy's carry on, Mayo being robbed in 2014 has me revved up. Kerry have always traditionally had the purest footballers, but along with that came a cynicism. I just want to point that out, that they were no different than the Dubs in 1983, Tyrone, Armagh 10 yrs ago etc. When people talk about Meath 1986-1991 they'll always say they were fond of high elbows etc. But Kerry of 1975-86 are the greatest team to ever play the game, with no qualifications. I remember Pat Spillane rolling around like he was shot in nearly every game he played, long before Tiernan McCann of Tyrone. Look Kerry gave us some of the greatest footballers and being the week of the Rose of Tralee i think the following analogy is apt. Every Rose has it's Thorn!! I'm very fond of the Kerry people. But they're teams should be judged like every other county in the media.

Laois76 (National) - 26/08/2017 22:20:42

Kerry v Mayo - 35 Like(s)
RTE sports news on Donaghy punch.. 'Donaghy showing McGregor some moves for later' The flippant way they dealt with a punch from a media darling compared to it was some unknow fella from a smaller county. Bullsh*t.

Laois76 (National) - 26/08/2017 18:22:54

Michael Duignan on Sky coverage and the GAA - 34 Like(s)
Duignan very strong tonight on KK v Waterford having not been on free to air tv. I know this debate has been done to death but it won't go away. Totally agree re. elderly gaa supporters who aren't pub goers.

Laois76 (National) - 09/07/2017 22:24:31

Memories of 12th July - 34 Like(s)
While our northern brethern have much different memories of the 12th i'd like to relate a light hearted one. Being the 12th of July the date reminds me of a funny event back in 1992, on this date, when i was 16. My club Crettyard, Laois, were playing a minor football challenge match against neighbours, Graiguecullen. It was a lovely eve like this evening. In the second half one of our lads got an accidental belt in the mouth from a Graigue lad going for the ball. He's a hardy enough sort and kept going. At the end of the match he started to count his teeth and noticed he had 3 missing!! He couldn't remember where on the pitch he got the slap. The match ended around 9pm and we were split into groups combing the field looking for yer man's teeth. The ground was hard and dry and we couldn't understand why we couldn't find them. Anyway around 10.15pm it was getting dark and a few lads had torches in the boots of their cars and we kept looking til near 11pm!! No luck, didn't find any teeth. Innocent times, if it was now the chap would be sent for a HIA! Graigue went on to win the minor county final that year and Cretty were knocked out in the semi.

Laois76 (National) - 12/07/2017 22:04:46

Never Heard Of Him! - 34 Like(s)

Replying To Ulsterman:  "So a former Kildare footballer called Willie McCreery has been lambasting Ulster football calling it horrible and unwatchable?? I can honestly say I have never heard of the guy such is the impression he made on Gaelic football; maybe that's why he is now a horse trainer? The truth is that without the Ulster Championship this year, where the best games have been, Gaelic football would be a dross. Tomorrow we will witness another Leinster coronation for Dublin which will be over by the tenth minute. Maybe Willie can give us another view after that?"
Ah come on. Anyone with limited GAA knowledge knows Willie McCreery was a Kildare midfielder in the 1990s and early 200s, playing midfield and winning 2 Leinsters.

Laois76 (National) - 15/07/2017 14:35:18

Fair Play Tomás O'Sé - 34 Like(s)
Delighted someone has spoken out about Tadhg Kenneally's 'recruitment' of young gaa players. Kenneally congratulating Mark O'Connor making his debut for the 'Geelong Cats'. I don't care what money a chap makes but surely it would be more soul satisfying to represent your native people/county, Kerry in this case, than the 'Geelong Cats'. http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-i-have-nothing-against-tadhg-kennelly-but-i-just-hate-what-hes-doing-35736839.html

Laois76 (National) - 20/05/2017 14:58:44

Never Heard Of Him! - 33 Like(s)

Replying To Ulsterman:  "What was I into in the 90's......did no one tell you.....son?"
Whatever you were into in the 1990s a couple of the recent threads you started have done little for your credibility. You're taking pride in your ignorance on this thread and really showing you have a shallow knowledge of gaelic games. The thread you started about the death of Antrim hurling after the Christy Ring defeat to Carlow was disrespectful to the great tradition of Antrim hurling and equally disrespectful to Carlow who are a progressing team. You profess to be 'Ulsterman' and then belittle the great work being done in the promotion of hurling in Antrim, Down,Derry and Armagh. I actually used enjoy some of your posts as they were challenging and sometimes an interesting take. As of late you're moaning, whinging and whining like a spoilt child.

Laois76 (National) - 15/07/2017 23:47:54

Kerry v Mayo - 32 Like(s)
Here's some reasoning why i have mentioned Kerry have been cynical at many times during their footballing history. As have a lot of counties may i add. But Kerry's has been swept under the rug because they had the most skilled players aswell. Here's two snippets from a Martin Breheny article in 2013.. 'In 1946, Antrim sought to have the result of the All-Ireland football semi-final overturned on the basis that Kerry had used rough-house tactics which brought the GAA into disrepute. Antrim, who lost by three points, were incensed by what they regarded as blatant cynicism, taken to the extreme by Kerry. Antrim had used a slick, hand-passing game to win the Ulster title but Kerry put plans in place to disrupt their creative opponents, who were making their first championship visit to Croke Park for 33 years. Basically, Kerry fouled their way to success and later admitted it. "When you went to tackle an Antrim man, he passed to a waiting colleague and moved on for a return pass. The only counter to this was to take the man getting the return pass and put your arms around him and hold him as the ball came to him," explained Kerry centre-forward Paddy Kennedy in an interview many years later.' 'If Kerry found themselves facing the wrath of Antrim in 1946, they had some experience of it from earlier years too. In 1926, Kildare were furious with Kerry over the manner in which star player Larry Stanley was dealt with in the All-Ireland final replay and 11 years later, Laois were convinced that 'Boy Wonder' Tommy Murphy had been targeted for special attention by Kerry in the All-Ireland semi-final replay. Murphy, playing senior football at the age of 16, was knocked out at a time when Laois were two points ahead. They lost by a point.'

Laois76 (National) - 26/08/2017 21:51:49

FAO Mayo Fans - 32 Like(s)

Replying To Ulsterman:  "Patronising b******t!"
The team you wanted to win, most of us neutrals wanted to win, didn't. Man up ffs and stop being such a spoilt brat of a child. Your own county didn't even lose.

Laois76 (National) - 17/09/2017 22:09:30

Testimonials for individuals - in the GAA? - 32 Like(s)

Replying To Spoddgy:  "Are you Jerry kiernan in disguise?"
There's a tendency for GAA players to think they put more effort in than other athletes and it's rubbish.

Laois76 (National) - 27/09/2017 15:27:47

Fair Play Tomás O'Sé - 31 Like(s)

Replying To jimbodub:  "... and football isn't? Describing a professional sport as primitive is fairly ignorant. It's years ahead of the GAA in terms of sports science and approach"
Mind who you call ignorant. The game is a very unsophisticated game in my opinion. It's definitely less skillful than gaelic football. You are allowed to post your opinion on a sport without being called ignorant. But you look at everything through the prism of anti Kerry bias. Of course Tomás O'Sé is going to feel it more when a Kerry chap is an aussie rules target. Laois losing Zack Tuohy was a huge loss to us.

Laois76 (National) - 20/05/2017 20:53:21

Michael Duignan on Sky coverage and the GAA - 31 Like(s)

Replying To royaldunne:  "48, six children, two adult ones both in colleges, lots of expenses with them, youngest is my little boy, born last year very premature ,who has unfortunately a few health problems, no medical card, (thankfully he has under 6 gp card) one thing I will always be thankful to last government for, but pay 170 per month on medication, modest income , herself can't work due to our son. Mortgage, car and all expenses that go with that. The saving grace, we don't drink (apart from glass or two of wine at Xmas and special occasion, gave up smoking few years ago, I get sky in for the gaa, then let it go in January after the darts, I have little or no interest in soccer , I still watch a bit of f1 but the days of senna prost, or Schumacher are over, its too sanitized these days. I like national hunt racing, and if possible I will try to get to Cheltenham, however not been for couple years"
Sorry to hear about your little boy RD. Things like that put everything in perspective. I hope he's health problems improve and he livew a happy and healthy life.

Laois76 (National) - 10/07/2017 21:42:38

Replying To TheFlaker:  "Daft comment. Regardless of how good or not you think Aussie Rules is it is still a chance for our most talented to make a decent living in a great country. Some will not make it but it is worth the risk and is a marvellous opportunity. Nobody was more gutted than me when Hanley left Mayo but he has made it big, more power to the lads who take that chance."
There's a general consensus now that the individual should make his mind up, making a great living trumps everything, being a 'professional' player in a 'great' country is the be all and end all. If you diverge from this view point you're painted as ignorant and daft like i've been. Yet i'm sure come club county final time and aib club championship some of the same commentators will be banging the local 'community' drum. I'm 41 years old and when i grew up the main sporting aim i had was to play for my county, Laois in hurling or football. Money didn't enter the equation. I wanted that jersey, i'd bleed for that jersey. And thankfully i got to wear it and they were the proudest days of my life. MONEY WOULDN'T BUY it. I wouldn't have found anywhere near the fulfillment wearing the Hawthorn, Brisbane, Collingwood, Essendon, Brisbane, Sydney Swans or any other Aussie jersey. Whether my viewpoint is a little quaint, so what, i'm sure some others share it. Posters like the Flaker seem to want to brow beat people to their point of view. I studied hard also and had plenty of good career oppertunities here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, if you disagree you can just say so without labels of being daft or ignorant as another poster used.

Laois76 (National) - 23/05/2017 10:15:36

FAO Mayo Fans - 31 Like(s)

Replying To Ulsterman:  "Patronising b******t!"
Everything you utter is negative.. Absolutely joyless..

Laois76 (National) - 17/09/2017 22:07:43

Return to 3 Subs - 31 Like(s)
I really think the gaa should consider no substitutions and either 17 a side or the 21 a side prior to that. This would leave little space for Dublin's attack and also make the kickouts more difficult for Cluxton. In the interest of equality in the game today. It would also be fairer on over weight people as they're would be less running in the game. And let's face it gaelic football has become a skinny fast man's game. Why should the 60% obese male population be excluded from county football?

Laois76 (National) - 19/09/2017 22:20:32

Replying To bennybunny:  "When you mentioned 'primitive' - the like count is 2 v 3 (40 v 60%). You also made a point about the young lad being pestered hence we cannot know which point is being liked and disliked here. Either way, there has been 5,881 views - only 2 people 'liked' that comment. Plenty of other people have clearly stated that they don't like AFL. That is fine. There are sports that I don't like either. I am yet to see anybody else calling another sport 'primitive' on here. Only one person used that phrase. That was you. That phrase is ignorant."
Semantics Bennybunny!! If people were as upset by you with 'primitive' they wouldn't like the post. And where's the 2 v 3?? Have you been monitoring the post on an hourly basis. It's currently 6 to 5 in favour. Regardless of your definition of athlete Aussie Rules is less skilfull than gaelic football in my opinion. I've stated time and again the only kick in the game is a punt. Players run in straight lines a lot and lack the evasive skills of gaelic. Kicking a round ball as in gaelic or soccer allows for an infinite way of kicking the ball and using far more subtle skills. I have expressed my opinion and can you not leave it at that or explain the skills you find in Aussie Rules that make it a great game? No you run off for your dictionary to define athlete. Have you some connection with Aussie Rules that you find criticism of it hard to stomach? Do you love watching the game..watch many games? I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. I never particularly liked the game. Now the high fielding can be spectacular and is a great skill. Possibly, actually no definitely, i have a bit of a problem with the 'macho' culture. When the Compromise Rules was being played i always found the dangerous high tackles etc cheap shots as those Australian players knew they had it physically over the irish. Bravery to me was Peter Canavan standing up to Jason Akermanis even though he was twice his strength. So to conclude (for once and for all!) i have a problem with seeing our brightest stars move to that code. Also people are comparing Ciaran Kilkenny to David Clifford. No disrespect to any genuine Dublin fans Kilkenny is and always was a suberp player. But look at Clifford, there's genius at work there that's plain to see. That goal in the minor all-ireland versus Galway with left and right solos beating players for fun from under the stand. That was special, really special. I can only think of a few players who could do that. Matt Connor, Gooch, Maurice Fitz, Canavan, Dermo Connolly did similar for Vincents in a club game. Who would like to see genius like that lost to our game?? I don't care what county the player is from.

Laois76 (National) - 24/05/2017 16:17:29

Kerry v Mayo - 31 Like(s)

Replying To Laois76:  "RTE sports news on Donaghy punch.. 'Donaghy showing McGregor some moves for later' The flippant way they dealt with a punch from a media darling compared to it was some unknow fella from a smaller county. Bullsh*t."
Tomás O'Sé on the Sunday Game tomorrow night.. 'Yerra Kieran was frustrated at this stage and swung out. It doesn't look good bu these things happen in the heat of the moment. A pity Conor McGregor didn't land a few like it last night'. Cue nervous laughs from Dessie Dolan, Ciaran Whelan and a witty comment from Dessie Cahill.

Laois76 (National) - 26/08/2017 20:48:18

Fair Play Tomás O'Sé - 30 Like(s)

Replying To bennybunny:  "There is no debate going on here. You simply are not reading the comments that others are posting up (or are not understanding the points that they are making) and just replying with your own prejudices and silly analogies (bankers???). To call Aussie Rules a primitive game is staggeringly ignorant. You might not like but comments like that just reflect badly on you. The fact is that they are outstanding athletes and deserve credit whether you like the game or not."
Outstanding athletes. When did that ever improve the skills of a team sport? Again the professional baker analogy debunks the word 'professional' to show it doesn't equate to excellence. I was criticised for condemning a 'professional' sport. I gave an alternative opinion in Aussie Rules recruitment and that game but because you don't agree youlabel me as staggeringly ignorant. By flicking through posts you'll see my opinion is supported by at least 50% of posters. Are they all equally ignorant? A few bully boys on here.

Laois76 (National) - 24/05/2017 12:57:26

Fair Play Tomás O'Sé - 30 Like(s)
Regarding the thumbs up and thumbs down issue.. Many don't bother with it, including myself, but having read posts here for 3 years it's a fairly accurate gauge of feeling about a post.

Laois76 (National) - 24/05/2017 15:24:28