National Forum

Popular Posts from TheUsername

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

Leinster - Now A Hurling Province? - 8 Like(s)

Replying To sportsfan14:  "Based on things as they stand now it appears Hurling is the dominant sport in Leinster....perhaps not in geographically but certainly in terms of success.... How is football so poor?"
To be fair a team outside of Leinster hasnt won a football All Ireland since 2014.

TheUsername (National) - 26/03/2018 12:39:32

Stephen Cluxton - 7 Like(s)

Replying To greysoil:  "[quote=TheUsername:  "[quote=greysoil:  "FYI Username The Pale (An Pháil in Irish) or the English Pale (An Pháil Shasanach or An Ghalltacht) was the part of Ireland that was directly under the control of the English government in the late Middle Ages. It had been reduced by the late 15th century to an area along the east coast stretching from Dalkey, south of Dublin, to the garrison town of Dundalk.[1
The inland boundary went to Naas and Leixlip around the Earldom of Kildare, towards Trim and north towards Kells."]Thanks mate, not sure what your on about and choosing to think the best, so thanks!"]Just educating you on where the pale is/was. Obviously lost on you."]Yeah, I'm just not having that conversation thanks. *SHAKES HEAD.

TheUsername (National) - 13/06/2018 23:01:31

The pinnacle of cute Kerry h***r*sm - 7 Like(s)

Replying To TheHermit:  "To take one prominent example, DCU's sports academy was kitted out at mine and other tax payers expense for the benefit of Dublin GAA inter-county teams. Unlike Dublin, Kerry is not receiving bucket loads of handouts from Croke Park, the Irish Sports Council or 10-20 major sponsors every year. We have to fundraise to build our facilities, like our new centre of excellence or this sports academy in the IT in Tralee. So really I can't understand the issue with coming across an optional invite to a dinner of a legendary figure in the GAA to benefit a project in his native county!! If you paid taxes in the Republic (I'm unsure if you do or not as I see you are from Fermanagh), you would have funded a sports academy to benefit the Dublin GAA. But your concerned about seeing an advertisement giving you the option of supporting something for another county or not? Regardless, let's just cue up the usual Kerry bashing ..."
Not sure what any of this has to with Dublin, a bit miffed by the strength of that reaction. Just dont point though you are wrong on the grants given here: The Central council and Munster council gave the facility one million each for the COE = 2million Sponsorship: Kerry Group = 1million Sports Council = 7 million to facility in Tralee. I dont particularly have a problem with any of that, but the poor mouth narrative that often comes from Kerry is not really reflective of reality especially in comparison to other counties and what they get. You dont really have any financial adversity or anything to do without. I acknowledge we dont really have significant issues in funding in Dublin either and its not about that, though it would take us a good number of years to accumulate the above in games development grants. The victim narrative isnt really fitting when it comes to Kerry in my opinion, you get as much funding then anyone and better then almost everyone. I can understand based on the above why another poster may have raised this as an issue.

TheUsername (National) - 17/01/2018 14:20:06

Dublin Getting 2 Home Games In The Super 8s. Fair Or Unfair? - 6 Like(s)
Fair play to Donegal!! I agree, it's been flagged to death for a year now! Win, win for Dublin, we either get a road trip or we play in the Neller for our home game!!! This will be great for us, a bit of controversy always galvanizes this team. It's like poking a bear!! Whip it up!!

TheUsername (National) - 03/07/2018 22:30:56

If Your County Had An Official Slogan, What Would It Be? - 6 Like(s)
"We have all your Money"

TheUsername (National) - 28/03/2018 14:38:29

All-Ireland minor football championship - 5 Like(s)
Congratulations to Loais. Really shocking to see the best minor team of all time dumped out in a first round qualifier. :)

TheUsername (National) - 06/05/2017 17:15:51

Pairc Ui Chaoimh - 4 Like(s)
I'd have a different opinion to be honest. Its a huge capital outlay and it looks optimistic in terms of how they were going to manage it and poor they they didn't envisage an overspend. But i actually admire the gumption to do this project and i really dont have a problem with the GAA now coming in and better supporting the project financially more then they have to this point. Its a capital infrastructure profit, they inevitably have a deficit in the short term but long term it will pay for itself many times over over the next 100 years. Similar to Croke Park how many times will Croke Park pay for itself over the years. The long term benefit of a marquee stadium in the biggest city in Munster is a vital aspiration in my opinion. It should be the same in Connacht and Ulster, games beging funneled to Corke Park every year isnt good for anyone and each province should have the ability to host semi final games in my opinion and should be something the GAA should aspire to, plan and support. The GAA needs to look at infrastructure and future proofing key provincial marquee facilitates as an attainable aspiration and i hope they learn from the experience at PUC and actually prompt a development plan around this. As for the reporting on this when it comes to the quality of reporting on GAA fiance this is like so many sensationalist, very narrow and without proper analysis, just my opinion mind.

TheUsername (National) - 14/12/2018 13:21:52

Dubs Drive For 5 - Who Can Stop It? - 4 Like(s)
A string of teams could beat Dublin, Galway, Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone, Kildare, Monhaghan, Kerry. Some of those teams will have a fresh approach next year under new management, some have supreme youth that will be augmented and added to. Galway: will build on an exceptional year of getting to a league final and only drawing Dublin in the semi they would have likely contested a final. McDaid and Silke are returning and are seriously players, while Galway have good underage coming through. Mayo: will be a different animal next year all the experience, rested, a new open expansive philosophy under Horan and the freshness that goes with that. The hipoe will be unearthing some new talent also. Donegal: very underrated in my opinion, some of the best players in Ireland in Murphy, McHugh, EBG, Thompson and Murphey and McBrearty. More then put it up to Dublin in games last year and were very unlucky in the draw for the S8's. Tyrone: All Ireland finalists, there or there abouts every year, if they can perfect their new system they will be a threat. Kildare: Still maintain they are a top outfit, they utterly dominated the U20 championship this year making light work of almost everyone. Have an absolute super star in Hyland coming through in addition to other players on that team to add to an already capable All Ireland quarterfinal squad. Monaghan, when are they not capable, will hope to build on a superb 2018. Kerry: have one foot in the S8's already coming out of Munster so will always be confident. Have a dream forward line and a couple of players in Clifford and O Shea making most inter county teams. New manager so will be hopeful, they need a defensive system and a couple of midfielders in my opinion but always a threat. I think the GAA will try and push the Dublin Vs Kerry narrative next year its hugely marketable. The thing about the above is its all a moving a target and we are judging things on how they were in 2018. In reality if you stand still you are left behind. Dublin evolve every year and will bring something different next year, in tactics and set up if you watched the game Vs he underdogs Dublin never made more then two hand passes, i think they are well into preparation for the new rule. Dublin gave 7 championship debuts last year, i expect some of those lads to kick on through the league. I would also be confident of a field of potential 8 new players being in contention through the O Byrne cup, aiming for league mins and breaking the panel. As Scully, Murch, Howard and a few others have proven in recent years if you can prove yourself through this pathway you can crack the squad and team. Hopefully Bernard and Diarmuid Connolly can be added to the panel this year as well.

TheUsername (National) - 05/11/2018 14:02:23

Football All Stars 2018 - 4 Like(s)

Replying To cavanman47:  "I think most people on here are well informed GAA fans and know the real reason behind that one"
Go ahead, I've heard 200 different "real reasons" rumors at this stage. No point hinting at something sinister or an innuendo beyond the lad taking a year out unless you can back it up.

TheUsername (National) - 06/11/2018 17:25:35

Why Is Kerry Called The Kingdom? - 4 Like(s)
That goat won't crown itself. :D

TheUsername (National) - 23/08/2018 21:34:04

Football All Stars 2018 - 4 Like(s)

Replying To BigJoe14:  "Paul Clarke (Selector) and Brian Fenton and others liking tweets from Dublin trolls giving out that Cluxton didn't get the all star."
Perhaps Super Brian and Clarke think Cluxton was the better player. Don't see the harm in that.

TheUsername (National) - 06/11/2018 17:29:54

Kildare Dis-Service To Smaller Counties - 4 Like(s)

Replying To Daith:  "Some very sheltered and self righteous posts from Dublin posters on here. You dont have a valid opinion on the subject if your county gets 16 million for games development in the same time Kildare receives less than 600k. You dont have a valid opinion on this subject when your real home ground, which is a similar size to st Conleths, is replaced free of charge by an 82k flagship arena. You don't have a valid opinion on this subject when that flagship arena becomes a "neutral venue" when it suits the GAA for the super 8s. Dublin fans dont have a clue what most counties have to deal with. Thats not their fault but it leaves them with an extremely blinkered view of the GAA world. The GAA has become the sporting equivalent of the Tories."
Let's be honest here there were 60k at the Leinster final last year. 30k Kildare I think is a fair split. How many were at the game Vs Longford last week? I don't think Kildare can take the moral high ground about giving others advice on how to support a team. I'm not particularly bothered about the outcome of this "revolution' even if I was going to support friends playing. But let's talk reality here throughout the 90s and the Mick O Dwyer era you were more then happy to play all your big championship and Leinster games in Croke Park so in a way hypocrisy is evident during this whole affair, I'd love to know where all the super fans went since 98.

TheUsername (National) - 27/06/2018 21:25:14

Diarmuid Connolly - 4 Like(s)

Replying To TheFlaker:  "You are taking bias to a new level here lad! You are counting a penalty and a free lol. Keegan outscores him every time from play, check the record. Like seriously you are just being silly now counting 2 penalties he scored and a free lol. Man to man from play Connolly did nothing really and Kilkenny did even less. You look up what the 2 have scored and who was more influential, it was Keegan everytime. And yes that old black card in the replay. It was soft at best."
So if you discount the goals and points Connolly has scored playing Keegan, then Keegan comes out on top. :D We clearly won't agree on this, but for anyone ho interested in wishing to look and Connolly and Keegan head to head and look at what Connolly has scored of him it's all there. He did clean Kilkenny out though, but Connolly has gotten the better of him, looking at what he has scored in games Vs him. I suppose if anything me interested people can look for themselves, but spoiler alert Connolly has actually done quite well of Keegan, surprising so really.

TheUsername (National) - 22/03/2018 14:24:05

King Con - 4 Like(s)
I think he has been handled really well after his first year, my concern last year was he played three full all ireland championships, physically that is some achievement but winning all three is just amazing. Its been great to see him given lee way by the county, to play club hurling without county commitments and a little Singurson. The lad needs rest but also to have fun. I think he is getting both. Handled really well by Dublin in my opinion, we are in the fortunate position to be able to do that.

TheUsername (National) - 15/02/2018 10:22:41

The Dubs Propaganda Machine - 4 Like(s)

Replying To ballydalane:  "At least Cody shows a bit of passion and personality."
I see Jim Gavin gave up a free Sunday yesterday to go down Kilkenny and coach the Kilkenny football development squad, passion and personality indeed.

TheUsername (National) - 19/02/2018 11:37:00

Dublin Vs Donegal - 4 Like(s)
Really enjoyed the game to be honest, for me it was in the melting pot all game and Donegal are a very good side who i wouldn't be surprised to see in the latter stages and who could do some damage. Its a pleasure to watch Michael Murphy play he really is probably the best footballer in the country. I was a bit surprised by some Dubs reactions after the game that we were well on top throughout the game i didn't think we were and didn't feel like throughout the game. The goals swung the momentum for the Dubs and Donegal could/should have had a couple themselves. Paddy McB was a huge loss for them and probably would have been a lot closer score wise if he had been. Donegal out scored us for points. Massively useful game for Dublin as Donegal tired a few systems against us. They tried the high press for sickouts, man for man, thats great experience at this pot. Thankfully Cluxton and Fenton were in majestic mood. The running game hurt at times but thought we got to grips and we blocked the central channell well, the high long ball came in to play half way through the second half and we dealt with well. Over all i was happy with that. Michael Murphy was man of the match. But for me young Brian Howard was Dublin best player. What a star we have in this young man and i have been raving about him all year. Has it all can play half back, midfild half forward, he can tackle, field, score, pick a pass, he was the barians behind the first goal, he came of age last night and we have another gem. I think he will eventually end up in midfild with his club mate at Raheny Fenton. Dublins shot execution was awful, Ciaran Kilkenny had one of his wort games that i can remember, i suppose hes entitled to one bad game in 100. Thought Mannion and Con struggled a bit and both look out of form at the moment. Rock drifted out of the game in the second half when there were very few frees given. The possession based game of trying to break the blanket game doesnt suit forwards really. I think generally there were a fair few cobwebs to this performance and hopefully we got them out of our system yesterday. Loads to work and sharpen up on really. As for the last ten minutes and closing the game out its brilliant. The way i look at is its beating the blanket, its using a teams system against them. If you are going to play a blanket defense against Dublin and try and counter, Dublin are going to starve you of the possession you need to work that system and use that system again you, the only hope you have with it is if you are ahead. But if Dublin are ahead you can forget getting the ball they will just play football in front of the blanket and wear the teams energy down. Its the same way they beat Tyrone last year, get ahead and play football in front of them and just eat away at the minutes and chip away at the score. I love it to be honest and makes the opposition team think. Dublin are inviting the opposition to come out and play football. The only downside is must be awful for the opposition team, stuck in that rigid system watching a team just tap the ball out in front of you. Not really the type of way players want to be playing in Croke Park in the height of summer. But if thats how teams set up, so be it. So we go to Omagh, with a good foothold in the group and points on the boards. Not the best performance but hopefully we got blew a few cobwebs off. Was really impressed with Donegal. This group is going to very competitive.

TheUsername (National) - 15/07/2018 14:12:29

The Talent Drain - 4 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "We just like to tell it as it is that we're punching above our weight big time and always have been. We get no hand outs down here and our success is due to our own hard work."
Apart from the three million handout by the GAA, Munster Council and Kerry Group, who gifted 1 million each for the COE. :) *Nothing to see here! :)

TheUsername (National) - 15/05/2017 18:20:58

Colm O'Rourke's article today re the GPA. - 4 Like(s)
It's an excellent article and he raises some excellent questions. It's scandolous if true that wages for 12 GPA are over 900k a year a third of their budget. I have long suspected that Gaa finance is like water in Ireland most of it is leaked before it get to source. There is a growing trend of greed in GAA at the highest level, the advent of testimonials, multiple fundraisers across the pond and the sale rise of the GPA. I think if there was an an all Ireland audit county by county similar things would be found. Yet that's whats required the GAA needs an independent audit of anyone or body in receipt of funds, or the method in regard to how funds are raised. I think some rotten practices are in place throughout the country,

TheUsername (National) - 12/11/2017 20:47:25

Galway Vs Dublin - 4 Like(s)
Nursing a tender head today, managed to snag tickets in one of the boxes with an open bar. Surprised by some of the reactions on here. Seem very despondent and defeatist. I think a lot of that is a self fulfilling prophesy. Dublin may guilty of going through routine wins, but every other county is guilty of turning up against this year and expecting to be beaten. Yesterday is a case in point. So its at home many counties need to look in my opinion. The aura around this Dublin team has had everyone this year terrified of them and not playing their natural game and going at Dublin. As for the game yesterday, i think it was as bad as ive seen Dublin in a long time. The first half performance was massively poor and we were really there for the taking. Galway should have been seven or eight points up. The standard of football in the first half was massively poor in the first half by both teams. Philly McMahon and Johnny Cooper were terrible and to be honest very few Dublin players bar Kilkenny, Mannion and Brian Howard put in a shift. Murchan and McCarthy struggled and Galway had a free run at Dublin when O Sullivan went of and really should of opened up Dublin and took a big score into half time. Galway hit some shockingly bad wides, you just cant do it at this stage of the championship or miss penalties. Poor shot selection and wides Its been their Achilles heal all year and it caught up with them. they had the beating of the Dublin defence time and time again and went lateral when they should have went direct. How Dublin went in two points ahead at half time was beyond me. Dublin were Never going to be that bad again in the second half and came out and blew Galway away after regrouping. what can you say Dublin in full flow is a thing of beauty and Galway were picked apart. Kilkenny, Mannion, Costello, Con, all had brilliant games. You can talk about the David Cliffards of this world, but i wouldn't swap Brian Howard for any other young player in the country he is an absolute superstar and has everything, his vision is a joy to behold he hit two passes yesterday that took out six defenders. Philly McMahon and Jonny Cooper were massively poor in my opinion and i didn't like the problems in our defence yesterday. I think if Galway had a been a little bit braver and more direct in the first half yesterday and had a bit more quality up front they could have taken a healthy lead into the second half employed their defensive system and the Dubs would have been on the ropes,it was not to be though, they are lacking in the experience and bit of quality i think, you just cant miss the chances they did. What they did really well was push up on Dublins kick out and go man to man with Dublin. That really caused Dublin problems. I know many are talking about a routine win and Dublin cantering to another All Ireland, if Dublin put in a shift like they did in the first half or a similar defensive performance im not sure im that optimistic. However we are in another All Ireland final and they are their to be won and enjoyed, we look forward it.

TheUsername (National) - 12/08/2018 09:49:20

Paraic Duffy to step down as Director-General of the GAA - 4 Like(s)
You have to deal with this sort of thing when your successful. I feel sorry for the Independent, they have chosen there road though and the impact will be interesting. McKeanna isn't a very balanced or objective journalist for me, I think his facts and figures are very contrived and gerrymandered, but I think that's his agenda. He's made a career for himself manning the anti Dublin narrative, again you have to expect this narrative when your successful. I say that full well knowing Dublin are well funded and have natural advantages, but his stuff is badly hyperbole and purposefully controversial. I don't blame he's done well as Dublin as his meal ticket, but I think you have to question his objectivity given that agenda. Either way, it's better to have likes of McKeanna having a pop at you being champions, then lads having a pop at you for getting your arse handed to you for coming up short. It's better to be questioned about your success then it is your failure. Long may it continue!

TheUsername (National) - 25/01/2018 22:52:49