National Forum

Popular Posts from yew_tree

Click on the subject to bring you to the county where the message was originally posted 

GAA Keeping Rural Ireland Alive - 12 Like(s)
As I write this, the new Leinster club champions Mullinalaghta have just appeared on the late late show and well done to them. They have given hope to clubs up and down the country. It was interesting to listen to their captain speak about the post office gone, shop, one pub closed and one left etc....however the GAA club is the ever constant. My club wouldn't be much bigger and I'd imagine it's a case in every county where most clubs are rural, with services and people disappearing. So for all the giving out we do just be thankful that we are all part of a fantastic organization, far from flawless and at times extremely frustrating but it's ours all the same and it's keeping communities alive.

yew_tree (National) - 14/12/2018 21:55:14

No Palestinian Flags - 9 Like(s)
I have to agree...wear your county colors...bring Your county flag and roar your county on...that's the only statement you should be making at a GAA game.

yew_tree (National) - 18/06/2018 18:50:23

Things in the GAA that make you Cringe - 8 Like(s)

Replying To waynoI:  "The minute silence before every single game makes me feel ill aswell actually. Can we add that one to the list ? "Please stand for a minutes silence as a mark of respect to little Brucey, Mary O'Reilly's pet jack Russell, Who was run over by a John Deer tractor whilst Paddy O'Neill was out wrappin hay bales.....hey!!""
Wayno what is wrong with a minutes silence? The GAA is a community. I know you don't really get that same fabric in urban area's but in rural Ireland, the local GAA club is the centre of the world from actual games, local festival, a guard of honor at a funeral, the whole community looking out for each other. When a member the GAA members are there, preparing food, helping with parking etc. The minute's silence is a mark of respect which clearly you have not shown by that post which seems to take a swipe at rural Ireland which your tractor jipe.

yew_tree (National) - 04/07/2016 14:12:30

Joe Canning - not fit to lace Shefflin's boots - 8 Like(s)
Hate these threads...attempting to beat down on a player after a bad game who's team have not won the All Ireland us easy and petty. I've seen the same happen Mayo players. Yes there was an coup but there is no instructions or rule books. These are amuteur players with jobs and normal lives...I think people except and demand too much on GAA players these days.

yew_tree (National) - 04/07/2016 18:57:30

AOS - A passenger who cost Mayo All Irelands - Brolly - 7 Like(s)
Ah yes Joe...the man who preaches respect in the GAA yet attacks individual players...AOS is not the first and won't be the last.

yew_tree (National) - 27/01/2018 13:49:18

Mayo's double standard's - 7 Like(s)
Mayo are a cod...always fall flat on their faces. Come on Roscommon send them packing please

yew_tree (National) - 02/08/2017 21:17:46

Is Dublin's Success False, Tarnished And Bought? - 7 Like(s)
No it's not false or tarnished. They are the best team. The playing field is not level but what sport is? You are always going to have bigger teams and the so called "lesser teams". Mayo have a huge advantage over Leitrim for example. Kerry have a free rein in Munster etc.... Mayo spent over 1.5 million on our county teams in 2017. As a club memeber I have seen the breakdown and the cost of tranport and accomodation is crazy. Plus the cost of players up and down for training. This is one area where Dublin save. They don't have to fork out for hotels in peak summer months. We (every club in mayo) are also paying back the loan repayments on MacHale Park which ok came about many will say by crazy decisions at board level but Dublin have never had the expense to develop their own county ground because they use Croke Park. So those are two main advantages that Dublin have from my point of view but they are not advantages that can be wiped out. They are also not the fault of Dublin so its a catch 22.

yew_tree (National) - 05/09/2018 14:46:31

Kieran Donaghy is Immune to refereees - 7 Like(s)
Imagine the uproar if Lee Keegan or Diarmuid Connolly had their hands around the neck in the choke like hold on an opposition player? This man is immune to referees...did the Sunday game call him out? Yearrah

yew_tree (National) - 31/07/2017 09:10:19

New York vs Sligo - 7 Like(s)
I listened to the GAA Hour podcast and couldn't agree more with Parkinson. This game should be televised or at least streamed. Get some camera's out there, interview fans, ex-pats. Have a show sat night from a bar in New York with a discussion panel on the year ahead etc. Get some interest going. It is after all the curtain raiser to the Championship.

yew_tree (National) - 05/05/2017 13:41:18

Andy Moran Hands On Maurice Deegan - 6 Like(s)

Replying To jimbodub:  "More excited about competing in our 6th final in a row if I'm honest, our young lads are doing very well, we have lads getting rested and once again Jim is going about his business in an exceptional manner. If ye barely scrape to stay up I wouldn't mind so much as playing Mayo has been an easy 2pts for our lads ;)"
Jimbo, like me your around here a long time but your coming across as very arrogant lately and it's not nice to see. Here is such as thing as a gracious winner you know.

yew_tree (National) - 20/03/2018 21:38:20

Dublin V Tyrone All Ireland Final 2018 - 6 Like(s)
Congrats on the 4 in a row. Some team. Hope we can be back next year and throw a spanner in the works but for now ye look good for the five.

yew_tree (Dublin) - 04/09/2018 18:10:41

The Super 8 - 6 Like(s)

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I think it's more of an advantage than that yewtree."
Ok maybe the fact the Dublin players get to sleep in their own beds and travel less. Outside of that....?? Don't give me the crowd and hill argument because that works against them when things go wrong...also in Mayo's cause we matched their support numbers wise and I oh look could have outnumbered them on one occasion and also shared the hill with them (much to their annoyance).

yew_tree (National) - 16/04/2018 21:39:41

The All Ireland Weekend In Dublin. What Do You Do? - 6 Like(s)
Drive up morning of final, breakfast in kinnegad and book into Citywest. Taxi into town, for pints. Walk to Croker and watch us loose another final...back to Citywest after to drown the sorrows.. Drive home Monday with saw doctors on radio "to win just once" repeat the above the following year...at least this year we are taking a break :0

yew_tree (National) - 14/08/2018 12:15:45

Mayo v Galway June 18th - 6 Like(s)
Thought the commentary was a joke today. Ger Canning is a terrible commentator and Carr is annoying. Galway will need no motivation.

yew_tree (Galway) - 12/06/2016 19:13:06

Congrats Dublin - 6 Like(s)
Well done Dublin. The better team yet again. We can only look at our own failing again. This Dublin team ARE one of the great football teams. Time to drown the sorrows in the capital yet again. Still proud to be a Mayo man.

yew_tree (National) - 01/10/2016 20:22:13

Joe Brolly hypocrisy - 6 Like(s)
Joe loves to talk as we all know. In his paper pieces he preaches respect and talks about community GAA, a fabric that hold us all together and that there is more the sport than just winning. Yet on the Sunday game he (and others) appear to mock teams outside of the top 3/4.
He once mocked Mayo for even bothar showing up against Cork in 2011..."When Cork beat Mayo" he said...
Last weekend Joe and Colm were laughing their heads of at the Munster final and called it "not a real game" which was very disrespectful to Tipperary. And yesterday he called Roscommon useless.

Joe and some other "experts" show a complete lack of disrespect to most county teams. Some of the stuff he comes out with is cringe worthy to say the least. Despite that I have great respect for him as a man, donating his lung and campaigning for organ donation etc. But come on Joe these are ameteur players who all go though the same training and hardship to wear their county jersey.

yew_tree (National) - 11/07/2016 11:31:43

Plans For New Stadium In Connacht - 5 Like(s)

Replying To PyatPree:  "Pairc Ui Chaoimh a white elephant?, they had 3 Ed Sheeran concerts, 2 Munster Hurling games, Munster football final, 2 league matches, Soccer match for Liam Miller this week, not to mention games in the county championship, probably used more then most GAA Stadiums"
Anything built outside the M50 is deemed a white elephant

yew_tree (National) - 28/09/2018 20:01:02

Bernard Flynn v James Horan - 5 Like(s)
Should all Mayo people in the Media quit their job, all Mayo players give no further interviews and Mayo give up football. It seems that's what the GAA world wants. Win an All Ireland or F off and shut up. It's a cheap shot to come back and say "show me your all ireland medals" and is an escape route to actually debating the point in hand.

yew_tree (National) - 24/05/2017 22:34:58

Dublin people do not extend the hand Friendship - 5 Like(s)
Dublin fans like most are grand...the one's you meet in real life that is. Funny story though my sister's were on the Hill for the Mayo Tyrone game....they got some horrid abuse from a few Dublin fans near them including a woman...Enda Kenny, culchies, sheep...nobody was sparred :) They turned into Tyrone fans....yet once the Dublin game started Donegal were nothing but a shower of Northern so and so's....;)

yew_tree (National) - 17/08/2016 11:09:22

All-Ireland Club Finals On St. Patrick's Day - 5 Like(s)
Good luck to Corofin tomorrow...hope ye take the cup west of the Shannon.

yew_tree (National) - 16/03/2018 18:57:41