Galway Forum

Galway GAA Memories

(Oldest Posts First)

What was your favourite day out as a Galway supporter, what was the one day that you would love to experience again.

For me it is between, 1998 All Ireland Final, 1998 First Round v Mayo, 1995 Semi v Tyrone,(my first real day seeing the Galway footballers in Croker), 2005 U21 v Down(one if the best games I've seen, 2007 v Mayo in Pearse, 1999 v Mayo in Tuam(atmospher).
1993 Hurling semi vs Tipp(complete outsiders)

I am going to pick an odd one though.
The first round against Mayo know 2016 Castlebar. To say we were outnumbered would be an understatement. One of the smallest travelling Galway supports I've ever seen. First win over them in a long time, they completely underestimated us, Bernard Power plucked from the Galway juniors and not starting for Corofin, unknowns in Wynne, Kyne, Kerin, Brannigan, Heaney.
Super performances from Comer, Conroy, Flynn, Sice.

A day I loved, and really enjoyed the drive home

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 28/04/2020 13:31:36    2276902

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "What was your favourite day out as a Galway supporter, what was the one day that you would love to experience again.

For me it is between, 1998 All Ireland Final, 1998 First Round v Mayo, 1995 Semi v Tyrone,(my first real day seeing the Galway footballers in Croker), 2005 U21 v Down(one if the best games I've seen, 2007 v Mayo in Pearse, 1999 v Mayo in Tuam(atmospher).
1993 Hurling semi vs Tipp(complete outsiders)

I am going to pick an odd one though.
The first round against Mayo know 2016 Castlebar. To say we were outnumbered would be an understatement. One of the smallest travelling Galway supports I've ever seen. First win over them in a long time, they completely underestimated us, Bernard Power plucked from the Galway juniors and not starting for Corofin, unknowns in Wynne, Kyne, Kerin, Brannigan, Heaney.
Super performances from Comer, Conroy, Flynn, Sice.

A day I loved, and really enjoyed the drive home"
That was a fantastic day johnterry. Ireland were playing a European Championship game the same day and the pubs in Castlebar were pretty packed from early afternoon...with mayo fans as you said! We were serious outsiders so it was a really sweet one. The 98 final is my pick followed closely by the demolition of Meath in the 2001 final.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 362 - 28/04/2020 16:43:38    2276922

Link

Well, aside from the obvious ones in 1998, 2001 and 2017, I'll go for two trips to Carrick-on-Shannon.

The first for a provincial semi-final in 1995 on a baking hot Sunday evening. Leitrim had beaten Galway the previous two years, and were favourites to do so again. It didn't look good for us when Leitrim went 2 points up towards the end, but Galway showed great character to level it before Niall Finnegan nailed a pressure free to win it.
There was a particularly small Galway crowd there that evening- I think the game was shown live on RTE? Anyway, for me that game was the beginning of a revival in Galway football. I remember a couple of older Galway men behind me singing/shouting "take me home to Mayo" in the direction of John O'Mahony, who was Leitrim manager at the time....

The second in 1998. Not so much for the game itself (it was over as a contest by half-time), but for the Galway crowd there that day. You could sense the excitement and good-feeling surrounding the team, and the belief that we could be successful again...

Sorry if that sounds a bit too "Mayo" (ie. going on about "great supporters" and not results), but I'll always have happy memories of Carrick...

streaker (Galway) - Posts: 374 - 28/04/2020 17:58:11    2276931

Link

Replying To streaker:  "Well, aside from the obvious ones in 1998, 2001 and 2017, I'll go for two trips to Carrick-on-Shannon.

The first for a provincial semi-final in 1995 on a baking hot Sunday evening. Leitrim had beaten Galway the previous two years, and were favourites to do so again. It didn't look good for us when Leitrim went 2 points up towards the end, but Galway showed great character to level it before Niall Finnegan nailed a pressure free to win it.
There was a particularly small Galway crowd there that evening- I think the game was shown live on RTE? Anyway, for me that game was the beginning of a revival in Galway football. I remember a couple of older Galway men behind me singing/shouting "take me home to Mayo" in the direction of John O'Mahony, who was Leitrim manager at the time....

The second in 1998. Not so much for the game itself (it was over as a contest by half-time), but for the Galway crowd there that day. You could sense the excitement and good-feeling surrounding the team, and the belief that we could be successful again...

Sorry if that sounds a bit too "Mayo" (ie. going on about "great supporters" and not results), but I'll always have happy memories of Carrick..."
Agree on Carrick.
Always feels like there is a big crowd and most lads go up the saturday night.
2007 vs Leitrim was another great weekend.
Good support and buzz after beating Mayo earlier.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 29/04/2020 10:36:32    2276981

Link

All of 98 was phenomenal, greatest craic ever on the road. 01 next. Joyce demolishing the unbeatable Fay was something to behold. And those two matches in Carrick were mighty alright, distinctly remember them. Super days to come with the current crop, I think.

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 222 - 29/04/2020 19:08:40    2277039

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "All of 98 was phenomenal, greatest craic ever on the road. 01 next. Joyce demolishing the unbeatable Fay was something to behold. And those two matches in Carrick were mighty alright, distinctly remember them. Super days to come with the current crop, I think."
I suppose it has to be 17 all Ireland final. But in fairness we all had and continue to have great days with the hurlers the trilogy with tipp 15,16,17. One point in all three games Unbelieveable. Galway v Clare both games in 18. Galway v Kilkenny games in 18 and 19. In fairness we are so lucky we always seem to have great games in hurling.

ecad123 (Galway) - Posts: 15 - 30/04/2020 12:11:18    2277085

Link

2017 v Mayo in Salthill

My eldest (5 at the time) wore a Mayo hoodie and a Galway jersey underneath going to the game......the hoddie came off that day and he never wore it again........................... it will always have a special place in my heart:-)

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1194 - 30/04/2020 15:33:29    2277114

Link

Replying To streaker:  "Well, aside from the obvious ones in 1998, 2001 and 2017, I'll go for two trips to Carrick-on-Shannon.

Sorry if that sounds a bit too "Mayo" (ie. going on about "great supporters" and not results), but I'll always have happy memories of Carrick..."
It's amazing that 'old wives tale' about how small the Galway crowd was at the 1995 game in Carrick. It's constantly brought up about Galway fans, in relation to their fickle support bla bla bbla. I was in it. You were in it. The 2 'singers' were in it. I'd say that's 4 times the scale of the Galway crowd that is often 'alleged' to have been 'in it'. It's remarkable the amount of Galway 'witnesses' that lay claim to having seen how small the Galway crowd was that day. The number of these 'witnesses' would seem to greatly outnumber the volume of Galway supporters that were 'allegedly' in attendance.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2349 - 01/05/2020 16:12:28    2277220

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "It's amazing that 'old wives tale' about how small the Galway crowd was at the 1995 game in Carrick. It's constantly brought up about Galway fans, in relation to their fickle support bla bla bbla. I was in it. You were in it. The 2 'singers' were in it. I'd say that's 4 times the scale of the Galway crowd that is often 'alleged' to have been 'in it'. It's remarkable the amount of Galway 'witnesses' that lay claim to having seen how small the Galway crowd was that day. The number of these 'witnesses' would seem to greatly outnumber the volume of Galway supporters that were 'allegedly' in attendance."
I'm not sure if its fickle but the numbers have not been great at different times and blaming the style of play recently was a complete cop out. There were small numbers in 87 semi, one of the lowest ever at an All Ireland Semi, the early 90s, and to be fair the last 10 years.

I often wonder how damaging the 1983 loss was in terms of support. It was time be fair a complete disaster and lets not forget we had a terrible run in finals in the 70s.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 355 - 01/05/2020 16:48:27    2277225

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "It's amazing that 'old wives tale' about how small the Galway crowd was at the 1995 game in Carrick. It's constantly brought up about Galway fans, in relation to their fickle support bla bla bbla. I was in it. You were in it. The 2 'singers' were in it. I'd say that's 4 times the scale of the Galway crowd that is often 'alleged' to have been 'in it'. It's remarkable the amount of Galway 'witnesses' that lay claim to having seen how small the Galway crowd was that day. The number of these 'witnesses' would seem to greatly outnumber the volume of Galway supporters that were 'allegedly' in attendance."
..am, well no Popey, there actually was a sparse Galway attendance that day

PopeFrancis19 (Galway) - Posts: 45 - 01/05/2020 21:18:46    2277238

Link

Anyone to name There best 1-15 from the west and from north in the last 20 years

Gaagodeo (Galway) - Posts: 41 - 24/05/2020 22:31:46    2279154

Link

Beating Mayo in the Connacht Championship the last few years but 2016 was very special. No one gave us a hope and when Tom Flynn rattled the net the absolute emotion from the small band of Galway Supporters was unbelievable. The scenes on the pitch afterwards was wonderful also.Declan Kyne lifting Keith Higgins by the jersey and tumbling him when he was acting the mick still gives me goosebumps.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 183 - 25/05/2020 09:33:29    2279167

Link

Replying To philip3:  "Beating Mayo in the Connacht Championship the last few years but 2016 was very special. No one gave us a hope and when Tom Flynn rattled the net the absolute emotion from the small band of Galway Supporters was unbelievable. The scenes on the pitch afterwards was wonderful also.Declan Kyne lifting Keith Higgins by the jersey and tumbling him when he was acting the mick still gives me goosebumps."
Yup when kyne did that every galway man on the field stood a foot taller and the belief spread to every galwegian in McHale park. Its amazing how that split second stays with me years later. It's one of those moments I know I'll never forget

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1106 - 25/05/2020 18:12:36    2279182

Link

Replying To Gaagodeo:  "Anyone to name There best 1-15 from the west and from north in the last 20 years"
West

1. Cathal McGinley
2. Finian Hanley
3. Gary Fahy
4. Mairtín Ó Conghaile
5. Richie Fahy
6. Micheál Choilín Ó Domhnaill
7. Seán Óg de Paor
8. Kevin Walsh
9. Seán Ó Domhnaill
10. Paul Clancy
11. Michael Donnellan
12. Matthew Clancy
13. Seán Armstrong
14. Paul Conroy
15. Ciarán de Paor

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 677 - 26/05/2020 13:27:18    2279235

Link

1980 All Ireland Final, first time in Croke Park, was in the Canal end where Galway got the 2 goals in first half and big Michael Conneely performed his heroics in the second, went out on the pitch afterwards. I remember the train journey up and down but my most abiding memory is the train pulling into the railway station in Galway that night and getting off and the sheer delight and happiness of everyone.

Galway4ever (Galway) - Posts: 95 - 30/05/2020 02:15:16    2279492

Link