Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The back to back games with Tyrone in Ballybofey are mouthwatering. Whilst i believe we would have the measure of them in Ballybofey id have some concerns about us on the road in Soft wet conditions of October/November on the basis of how poorly we showed up in Castlebar.

That said- a run in the Championship if its a knock out format could mean the only grounds we would visit if we get by Tyrone would be Clones and Croke Park all going well.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 291 - 25/06/2020 13:44:10    2281808

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "What would our starting 15 likely be for Tyrone in the Championship? I know it's very hard to know if there are players injured and how match fit they are. We'll likely be given some clues if/when the remaining two league games are played.

For now though I'd have a guess at the below...

1. Patton

2. McGrath
3. N McGee
4. McMenamin

5. Ban Gallagher
6. O'Baoíll/Ward/Doherty
7. R McHugh

8. McFadden
9. J McGee

10. Langan
11. O'Donnell
12. Thompson

13. J Brennan
14. Murphy
15. McBrearty"
Strong team.. A lot of fire power there..

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 83 - 26/06/2020 12:23:20    2281868

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Strong team.. A lot of fire power there.."
It will be interesting to see what the wider panel looks like. Those who I didn't list as starters there include McFadden-Ferry, Gallen, Mulligan, Carroll, P Brennan, Morrison, E McHugh. No doubt there are others who I'm forgetting about. It was interesting to read Bonner's piece in the Donegal News today. He said that anyone showing well in the club championship could be immediately drafted in.

The potential path for Donegal looks like this:

31st October - Ulster Quarter Final
Donegal vs Tyrone

14th/15th November - Ulster Semi Final
Donegal vs Derry/Armagh

21st/22nd November - Ulster Final
Donegal vs Down/Fermanagh/Cavan/Antrim/Monaghan

5th/6th December - All Ireland semi-final
Donegal vs Dublin

19th December - All Ireland Final
Donegal vs Kerry/Galway

Now obviously the above contains a huge amount of assumptions on my part but just to give an idea.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6876 - 26/06/2020 16:39:49    2281899

Link

Mayo will make the last four for sure.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 476 - 26/06/2020 20:59:48    2281937

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "It will be interesting to see what the wider panel looks like. Those who I didn't list as starters there include McFadden-Ferry, Gallen, Mulligan, Carroll, P Brennan, Morrison, E McHugh. No doubt there are others who I'm forgetting about. It was interesting to read Bonner's piece in the Donegal News today. He said that anyone showing well in the club championship could be immediately drafted in.

Donegal vs Tyrone

Donegal vs Derry/Armagh

Donegal vs Dublin

Donegal vs Kerry/Galway

Now obviously the above contains a huge amount of assumptions on my part but just to give an idea."
It is going to be a tough schedule of matches for the winner of the Donegal and Tyrone match. Any vword on where that match will be played. Surely the wont put that match on in Croke Park as is being rumoured.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1658 - 27/06/2020 12:02:48    2281995

Link

Does anyone agree that the GAA administration have lost all creditablitiy after fixing the semi finals as ulster champ v Leinster champs and Munster champ v Connacht champs when it should be Ulster v Connacht going by the pairings of the last two years.. This is fix to get a Dublin v Kerry final.. Absolutely scandalous I think. This should be called out for what it is.. An absolute fix

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 83 - 27/06/2020 14:53:00    2282020

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Does anyone agree that the GAA administration have lost all creditablitiy after fixing the semi finals as ulster champ v Leinster champs and Munster champ v Connacht champs when it should be Ulster v Connacht going by the pairings of the last two years.. This is fix to get a Dublin v Kerry final.. Absolutely scandalous I think. This should be called out for what it is.. An absolute fix"
I just dont understand that decision at all, have they given any justification for it? Looks like they dont want Dublin and Kerry meeting in the semi final. To rub salt into the wound it looks like we will lose home advantage for the championship match against Tyrone. At least its good to be talking about playing football again.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1658 - 27/06/2020 15:53:15    2282029

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Does anyone agree that the GAA administration have lost all creditablitiy after fixing the semi finals as ulster champ v Leinster champs and Munster champ v Connacht champs when it should be Ulster v Connacht going by the pairings of the last two years.. This is fix to get a Dublin v Kerry final.. Absolutely scandalous I think. This should be called out for what it is.. An absolute fix"
Yeah I have at admit that's something that caught my eye straight away. Only thing is though, I'm wondering if Dublin could be caught out this year?

They'll stroll through Leinster no doubt. But unlike the last few years they won't have the Super 8s to ramp things up. Consider if Donegal do come through a tough few games and win Ulster - they'll maybe have had to beat Tyrone, a physical battle with Armagh and possibly an Ulster final v Monaghan.

In that situation Donegal would be playing at a higher intensity than what Dublin would have needed in Leinster.

Again, a lot of assumptions made there.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6876 - 27/06/2020 16:51:46    2282034

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "It is going to be a tough schedule of matches for the winner of the Donegal and Tyrone match. Any vword on where that match will be played. Surely the wont put that match on in Croke Park as is being rumoured."
Ive never heard as much horse dung in all my life

germac (Down) - Posts: 270 - 27/06/2020 23:03:26    2282076

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah I have at admit that's something that caught my eye straight away. Only thing is though, I'm wondering if Dublin could be caught out this year?

They'll stroll through Leinster no doubt. But unlike the last few years they won't have the Super 8s to ramp things up. Consider if Donegal do come through a tough few games and win Ulster - they'll maybe have had to beat Tyrone, a physical battle with Armagh and possibly an Ulster final v Monaghan.

In that situation Donegal would be playing at a higher intensity than what Dublin would have needed in Leinster.

Again, a lot of assumptions made there."
yea don't forget to book the after match meal and the open top bus for goin around the county

germac (Down) - Posts: 270 - 28/06/2020 02:02:03    2282085

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah I have at admit that's something that caught my eye straight away. Only thing is though, I'm wondering if Dublin could be caught out this year?

Again, a lot of assumptions made there."
As u said a lot of assumptions. Tyrone is a coin toss. I think its a disadvantage coming from a heavy run if games. Remember one of the O She lads laughing at people asking him would be rather a tougher run in Munster for better All Ireland prep and he said that he loved it the way it was. You could aim to peak for a certain time of year while the Ulster teams had to peak two months earlier and took some hits and bumps along the way.

I don't think you'll catch Dublin cold. You'll just need to outplay them.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 476 - 28/06/2020 03:01:35    2282087

Link

Replying To germac:  "yea don't forget to book the after match meal and the open top bus for goin around the county"
All quiet over on the Down forum is it?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6876 - 28/06/2020 09:25:42    2282094

Link

Replying To germac:  "Ive never heard as much horse dung in all my life"
Ha ha, not the first time I've been accused of that. Do you not think it would be a tough run of matches for the winner of Donegal and Tyrone. Looking foward to you well constructed reply.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1658 - 28/06/2020 11:30:08    2282112

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "It will be interesting to see what the wider panel looks like. Those who I didn't list as starters there include McFadden-Ferry, Gallen, Mulligan, Carroll, P Brennan, Morrison, E McHugh. No doubt there are others who I'm forgetting about. It was interesting to read Bonner's piece in the Donegal News today. He said that anyone showing well in the club championship could be immediately drafted in.

Donegal vs Tyrone

Donegal vs Derry/Armagh

Donegal vs Dublin

Donegal vs Kerry/Galway

Now obviously the above contains a huge amount of assumptions on my part but just to give an idea."
Well it is a sort of quiet all over the country in fact, So while looking at the Hogan stands posts from all over, This Mystic Meg one stood out, Not even the Dubs who have won 5 in a row would print anything like this ,But as you say,it contains a huge amount of assumptions on your part

germac (Down) - Posts: 270 - 28/06/2020 14:50:02    2282132

Link

Replying To germac:  "Well it is a sort of quiet all over the country in fact, So while looking at the Hogan stands posts from all over, This Mystic Meg one stood out, Not even the Dubs who have won 5 in a row would print anything like this ,But as you say,it contains a huge amount of assumptions on your part"
So what? Maybe Down should stop reminiscing about past glories and join the 21st century.
We've won 2 Ulsters in a row and drew with Kerry last year who went on to run Dublin awful close. I did concede that I made a fair few assumptions but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Donegal could challenge this year. Or would you rather everyone just lay back to have their bellies tickled by Dublin?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6876 - 28/06/2020 16:21:53    2282145

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "So what? Maybe Down should stop reminiscing about past glories and join the 21st century.
We've won 2 Ulsters in a row and drew with Kerry last year who went on to run Dublin awful close. I did concede that I made a fair few assumptions but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Donegal could challenge this year. Or would you rather everyone just lay back to have their bellies tickled by Dublin?"
i never mentioned past glories at all ,but im glad you know about them ,and fair play on 2 ulsters in a row, Drawing with Kerry and running Dubs close to be honest is not worth one dam im sure Bonner would tell you that, but good luck with that road map of yours

germac (Down) - Posts: 270 - 28/06/2020 21:05:26    2282175

Link

Replying To germac:  "i never mentioned past glories at all ,but im glad you know about them ,and fair play on 2 ulsters in a row, Drawing with Kerry and running Dubs close to be honest is not worth one dam im sure Bonner would tell you that, but good luck with that road map of yours"
So we should show no ambition or express any optimism at all? Might as well not get out of bed in the morning if you're going to think like that. Good luck for the year ahead. Down are one of my favourite other counties to watch believe it or not.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6876 - 29/06/2020 07:57:41    2282197

Link

I dont see anything wrong with Lockjaws post. We are not getting ahead of ourselves, we could be beaten in the first match.

He is simply pointing out in a shotgun championship what our projected run to the final would be.

you could even simplify it further:

Tyrone
Armagh
Monaghan
Dublin
Kerry

In other years with the super 8 and the backdoor you couldnt look ahead like that.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 291 - 29/06/2020 12:12:01    2282222

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "I dont see anything wrong with Lockjaws post. We are not getting ahead of ourselves, we could be beaten in the first match.

He is simply pointing out in a shotgun championship what our projected run to the final would be.

you could even simplify it further:

Tyrone
Armagh
Monaghan
Dublin
Kerry

In other years with the super 8 and the backdoor you couldnt look ahead like that."
Well maybe your right ,5 wins and your All Ireland champs , but us folk in Down will take it one game at a time, We will give Fermanagh every respect,and will look no further,

germac (Down) - Posts: 270 - 29/06/2020 19:42:50    2282292

Link

Replying To germac:  "Well maybe your right ,5 wins and your All Ireland champs , but us folk in Down will take it one game at a time, We will give Fermanagh every respect,and will look no further,"
As will we.

"Now obviously the above contains a huge amount of assumptions on my part but just to give an idea." was the last line of my original post.

No-one in Donegal is underestimating the huge challenge Tyrone will present, not to mention the other teams in Ulster.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 6876 - 30/06/2020 11:09:50    2282352

Link