National Forum

Will Offensive Mark Favour Some Counties

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Jamesc015:  "Hi all, can anyone confirm whether the offensive mark is on a permanent basis or is it likely to be scrapped for next year? I'm completely put off by the idea like a vast majority I think. Also, is it likely to be introduced into the club game? If not, I fear the gap between club and county may grow as far as being like two separate sports. Apologies if these questions appear stupid but there doesn't appear to be much information being provided."
It's in at every level of football, it got 68% of the vote at Congress last year. How long it lasts is anyone's guess, it would need a new motion brought forward at Congress and passed to get rid of it. From what I have seen it puts too much additional work on a referee. Also when playing in near the goal it can be difficult for the catcher to tell if the player kicking the ball is 1 metre outside the 45 or 1 metre inside it so it creates too much confusion.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2323 - 15/01/2020 13:04:19    2259965

Link

From my own county I can see it suiting lads like Cillian O Connor and Darren Coen, both can win ball but dont have the speed to get away from markers after collecting the ball, but both are very accurate so if they get the right ball into them, then they could do very well from the mark.
its the kick pass that will be important, usually kicking into the forwards you be told to put out in front of the, let them run onto it but now to use the mark its more hitting the player, think the diagonal pass will be the most effective.

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 361 - 15/01/2020 13:16:16    2259971

Link

Replying To arock:  "It is a shocking dumb idea, imagine given a "free" score because someone can catch a ball? Idiotic, the game was dying anyway, this will kill it off."
The first part of this post pretty much sums up this new dumb rule. I dont agree that the game is dying, a few tweeks here and there is all it needs.

cluichethar (Mayo) - Posts: 299 - 15/01/2020 15:05:17    2260011

Link

Replying To cluichethar:  "The first part of this post pretty much sums up this new dumb rule. I dont agree that the game is dying, a few tweeks here and there is all it needs."
Whoever says the game is dying needs there head checked. In Monaghan its alive and well even after a disaster last year and not to many holding high hopes for the year ahead. But still role on the league and championship. Stop messing with the rules. Teams tactics will change for time to time but the game always keeps me entertained. If you look at the all Ireland final from 15 years ago 10 and 5 Years ago and then last years iv no doubt the game just gets better every time.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 152 - 15/01/2020 19:20:50    2260068

Link