Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

New to the forum. Best of luck to the hurlers on Sunday, its disappointing to have so many injuries but a great opportunity to try and blood some young players against top opposition and in turn strengthen the panel come Joe Mcdonagh with some of the injuries hopefully cleared up by then.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 14/02/2020 10:58:16    2267632

Link

Replying To Dheen:  "New to the forum. Best of luck to the hurlers on Sunday, its disappointing to have so many injuries but a great opportunity to try and blood some young players against top opposition and in turn strengthen the panel come Joe Mcdonagh with some of the injuries hopefully cleared up by then."
Why so many injuries? Or are these cumulative?

Tough game again Sunday. The conditions will prob level it up a bit compared to the game in the Summer?

Best of luck to the lads

LockLeanGayl (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 14/02/2020 14:14:59    2267676

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Any team news for Sunday.Its s huge pity that we have so many injuries and others missing Egerton,Kilian Doyle, Gallagher,Clavin,Shaw,O Brien and Gary Greville.Looking on the bright side it's giving more players a chance of playing against the elite teams.Looking forward to seeing Horgan as well what a hurler."
I think that all teams are in the same boat this time of year in terms of knocks and absentees, it's just that the top teams have greater depth to handle it. I don't think Westmeath are too badly off, whilst some of who you've named are genuine losses there's others on the list who are limited enough and with the greatest of respect wouldn't be any improvement on what's playing. With regards to Cork at the weekend I'd be surprised if they have many of their main men playing as they'll be looking at this as an easy 2 points and an opportunity to give fringe players a run out and not risk they're marquee men so you may not get to see Horgan in action.

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 23 - 14/02/2020 19:11:00    2267739

Link

Game might not go ahead

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1703 - 14/02/2020 22:25:47    2267765

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "I think that all teams are in the same boat this time of year in terms of knocks and absentees, it's just that the top teams have greater depth to handle it. I don't think Westmeath are too badly off, whilst some of who you've named are genuine losses there's others on the list who are limited enough and with the greatest of respect wouldn't be any improvement on what's playing. With regards to Cork at the weekend I'd be surprised if they have many of their main men playing as they'll be looking at this as an easy 2 points and an opportunity to give fringe players a run out and not risk they're marquee men so you may not get to see Horgan in action."
With respect all of those I've named if 100% would start with the possible exceptions of Shaw and Clavin.Cork have named a super strong team with all their stars including Horgan,Harnedy,Cooper,Lehane,Cahalane,Walsh and Cardigan.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 715 - 15/02/2020 07:18:36    2267786

Link

Replying To jobber:  "With respect all of those I've named if 100% would start with the possible exceptions of Shaw and Clavin.Cork have named a super strong team with all their stars including Horgan,Harnedy,Cooper,Lehane,Cahalane,Walsh and Cardigan."
I would regard 3 - 4 of the 7 as automatic starters if fit. Just saw the cork team, looks like they're traveling with intent. It's difficult to see where westmeath will get the scores from play to trouble them.

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 23 - 15/02/2020 17:32:25    2267847

Link

Excellent performance from the lads today. We were unlucky not to take the scalp in the end, the referee was poor for Westmeath I felt and seemed to favour Cork throughout the game. Looks like we are making improvements at this level though so onward and upwards.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 16/02/2020 16:19:29    2267965

Link

Agree on the referee but at this level a free taker is so important and the miss from Devine prior to half time was poor to say the least. If he scored that I feel we only went in one behind. Can't understand bringing in Killian Doyle (thought it was for his free taking but no) who obviously not ready yet. All their goals ( 2 pens and goalie dropped ball ) gave them that extra little gap just when they needed it. Look it we would have taken a 4 point gap before throw in but 2 points was there for the taking not just a 'moral victory' As said above onwards and upwards

puglerdaly (Westmeath) - Posts: 54 - 16/02/2020 17:06:16    2267976

Link

Replying To puglerdaly:  "Agree on the referee but at this level a free taker is so important and the miss from Devine prior to half time was poor to say the least. If he scored that I feel we only went in one behind. Can't understand bringing in Killian Doyle (thought it was for his free taking but no) who obviously not ready yet. All their goals ( 2 pens and goalie dropped ball ) gave them that extra little gap just when they needed it. Look it we would have taken a 4 point gap before throw in but 2 points was there for the taking not just a 'moral victory' As said above onwards and upwards"
I agree with that, we need to sort out our free taking situation and have a permanent free taker, especially at this level as you say. On too many occasions today their was different fellas standing over placed balls. Other than that, I was very impressed with the performance. Their does seem to be a gradual improvement across the 3 games we have played so far, so clearly playing the elite is standing to us. Hopefully the lads take confidence from today and bring it to Tipp next weekend which will be another incredibly tough game.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 16/02/2020 18:18:10    2267994

Link

Replying To puglerdaly:  "Agree on the referee but at this level a free taker is so important and the miss from Devine prior to half time was poor to say the least. If he scored that I feel we only went in one behind. Can't understand bringing in Killian Doyle (thought it was for his free taking but no) who obviously not ready yet. All their goals ( 2 pens and goalie dropped ball ) gave them that extra little gap just when they needed it. Look it we would have taken a 4 point gap before throw in but 2 points was there for the taking not just a 'moral victory' As said above onwards and upwards"
Let's be honest the refereeing was a disgrace.The second penalty was two yards outside and the first dubious to say the least.He sent off Cahalane for a clear strike with the hurl and Boyle for what?????
We were very good and played with great intensity.
Our players gave everything but management need to stop our other forwars annoying the free taker.Surely there is a designated one before throw in.Yoo would be embarrassed with the carry on at an under 14 match

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 715 - 16/02/2020 18:47:58    2268003

Link

Great performance by the lads today, in hard luck not to get the win. I was disappointed by the air time given to the lads on league on Sunday tonight. They only had a few games to analyse in the show and they couldn't even highlight the improvements made by the Westmeath team or pick out a few stand out players to give them a rare chance in the lime light. There main commented on was the weather. There are a few Westmeath hurlers who, if on any other top county team would be winning all stars. They deserved a mention at least, I thought.

Sportsfanatic90 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1 - 16/02/2020 22:25:00    2268038

Link

Every time Cork got a free everyone in the ground knew who was taking the free
It was the opposite with Westmeath.

Our goalkeeping problems are also continuing.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1703 - 16/02/2020 22:42:30    2268044

Link

The free taking and the goal keeping are definitely things that need to be addressed by the management and I think if we had those in order yesterday we could have won the game. Ultimately though it was the referee who prevented us getting the win, he had a terrible game. A penalty that was for nothing and another that should have been a free. He sent off the Cork lad because he had no choice, it was a dirty stroke off the ball. As said above, what did Boyle do? I was sat beside a Cork supporter who was in disbelief at the decisions going against us.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 17/02/2020 10:20:46    2268087

Link

I think westmeath now have a good chance of staying up now in division 1, improvements seem to be made after each game and carlow and laois seem to be going the opposite way so that in itself will be one goal achieved for the year staying up.

preddan (Kildare) - Posts: 455 - 17/02/2020 10:40:51    2268101

Link

Replying To preddan:  "I think westmeath now have a good chance of staying up now in division 1, improvements seem to be made after each game and carlow and laois seem to be going the opposite way so that in itself will be one goal achieved for the year staying up."
Agreed but there are serious issues to be dealt with.A massive match away to a rested Till.We will need to show same intensity away from Mullingar.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 715 - 17/02/2020 17:32:29    2268213

Link