Kerry Forum

Kerry National League 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lads I've lost track - do we still owe cork a turn or are we back to Fitzgeralds stadium

Agree the magnificent seven was a major disappointment - the golden years was a classic though never to be repeated.

I'd say every young man in Kerry grew up with that on loop

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4555 - 13/03/2020 12:02:27    2273678

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads I've lost track - do we still owe cork a turn or are we back to Fitzgeralds stadium

Agree the magnificent seven was a major disappointment - the golden years was a classic though never to be repeated.

I'd say every young man in Kerry grew up with that on loop"
Ya we owe Cork one more game horse.

I have golden years on video tape and dvd.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10746 - 13/03/2020 13:54:29    2273693

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya we owe Cork one more game horse.

I have golden years on video tape and dvd."
1 more game, sure we've given them loads at this stage!

In fairness though our two trips to the new PUC have been memorable, it's a fine stadium and the 2018 game with the sun splitting the stones was a really great day out. Pity the place is still in the same God awful location.

Win next June so and make the feckers come back to the lions den in Killarney from then on!

And you are right Deane is a massive loss, he's a cracking player - but Cork will be dangerous. They are getting their act together big time over the last 12 months, in fairness a county like that would only stay in the doldrums for so long. I expect them to be back contesting All Irelands in the next 2-3 years and hopefully it will be a Cork/Kerry duopoly in the 2020s with us coming out on top as always ;D

By the way Kingdomboy, where are you getting these stories or a straight knock out championship from, I've not heard of them.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5473 - 13/03/2020 14:27:28    2273699

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "1 more game, sure we've given them loads at this stage!

In fairness though our two trips to the new PUC have been memorable, it's a fine stadium and the 2018 game with the sun splitting the stones was a really great day out. Pity the place is still in the same God awful location.

Win next June so and make the feckers come back to the lions den in Killarney from then on!

And you are right Deane is a massive loss, he's a cracking player - but Cork will be dangerous. They are getting their act together big time over the last 12 months, in fairness a county like that would only stay in the doldrums for so long. I expect them to be back contesting All Irelands in the next 2-3 years and hopefully it will be a Cork/Kerry duopoly in the 2020s with us coming out on top as always ;D

By the way Kingdomboy, where are you getting these stories or a straight knock out championship from, I've not heard of them."
The West Kerry AGM.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4555 - 13/03/2020 15:00:31    2273704

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "1 more game, sure we've given them loads at this stage!

By the way Kingdomboy, where are you getting these stories or a straight knock out championship from, I've not heard of them."
My father in law would be friendly with the head of the munster council the hermit.

Ya it'll be great to get Cork back at the top table, I miss the craic with them.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10746 - 13/03/2020 15:22:42    2273707

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya we owe Cork one more game horse.

I have golden years on video tape and dvd."
Jez that was a blast from the past, my ten year old just sat in awe for the last three hours at the golden years. I actually hadn't Sat down and watched through in years.

I just had the best time watching as it brought back happy memories of me as a kid watching with my own dad, bit emotional as it transported me bacj 30 years but now I see the same wide eyed wonder in my ten year old who has Sat through 1975-87.

It's true how football spans generations. But god we'll miss the sport seriously over the next month.

Lot of talk of league being parked, championship back to knockout (we'd fear Cork then),under 21s minors at it just proved how lost we are without sport

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4555 - 13/03/2020 22:33:18    2273763

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "My father in law would be friendly with the head of the munster council the hermit.

Ya it'll be great to get Cork back at the top table, I miss the craic with them."
Well it will be an interesting development if it happens!
I wouldn't remember the old knock out years as well as some others.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5473 - 13/03/2020 23:38:50    2273768

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Jez that was a blast from the past, my ten year old just sat in awe for the last three hours at the golden years. I actually hadn't Sat down and watched through in years.

I just had the best time watching as it brought back happy memories of me as a kid watching with my own dad, bit emotional as it transported me bacj 30 years but now I see the same wide eyed wonder in my ten year old who has Sat through 1975-87.

It's true how football spans generations. But god we'll miss the sport seriously over the next month.

Lot of talk of league being parked, championship back to knockout (we'd fear Cork then),under 21s minors at it just proved how lost we are without sport"
Ah the golden years are brilliant horse and fair play to your 10 year old for watching it with you it's good to get them hooked on gaa early :-)

It's a pity our county board made such a mess of the golden years 2.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 10746 - 14/03/2020 10:11:50    2273780

Link

It sparked interesting conversations like was Paídi better then Tomàs, or was Oige better than his son, similar with Seanie and Tommy. Mikey and Clifford etc

He did ask one question though that got me thinking and ultimately consider how unappreciated a certain player was. He asked me did Charlie make many mistakes? I was going to games since the mid eighties until he retired against Down in 1991. Between the late seventies and his finish I don't recall he dropping a ball or an obvious wayward kickout costing us. After him in 92 Peter O'Leary & Peter O'Brien played in the weaker years, Declan then Diarmuid Murphy, of that trio, I would rate the Dingle man as the nearest to the Castleisland stopper and I don't think we honestly replaced the Dingle man until Shane Ryan has come onboard but both still would be in the bakers shadow .

I often wondered if Castleisland has beaten Crokes in the 91 county final would Charlie have stayed on to Captain, at the time he was the only Castleisland player playing County with Dermot Hanafin on the bench and Eugene Leonard committed to Limerick Liam Harnetts penalty ultimately killed that option. It Just proved Charlie was a one off class act.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4555 - 14/03/2020 12:46:17    2273793

Link